News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Oh god, not a blender stick.

Whenever I see one I associate them with mixing water samples from manholes last summer for the internship last summer.

:x
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Heh.  Well, you can always use a food mill, or load spoonfuls into a blender.

I suppose you could also spend an hour trying to get the big squash chunks through the china cap as is.  But I wouldn't reccomend it.

Payne

Quote from: LMNO on October 13, 2008, 01:21:42 PM
Please to note the first arrival of the blender stick.

LMNO
-likes to mix things up.

:rimshot:

You sneaky fucker. I missed that. Well done.

Anyway, that soup looks fucking awesome. I used to make it similarly but without the china cap. Unfortunately, I know lack blenders and even a decent pan within which to make soup.

LMNO

In this weeks co-op, we got about 6 more kinds of winter squash, so we'll be making and freezing lots of soup. 

Oh yeah, this stuff freezes like a dream, so we're storing individual servings of the stuff for the middle of winter.

Triple Zero

that looks delicious!! and i just *love* pumpkin soup.

questions, any reason why you didn't add the garlic right away with the onion and celery? i usually try to get chopped garlic into oil as quick as possible cause i think some of the garlic flavours might evaporate (i'm not at all sure if this is actually true btw) and oil captures them.

and uhmm first you add milk instead of cream because of the arteries and then later on, when the arteries aren't looking, a chunk of butter? ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

I make pumpkin curry soup every year--and I make the butternut squash as well.  Squash is a great food--I don't think we use it enough in this country.  Mostly just use pumpkin for pie, etc.  But not enough of it is appreciated.  My husband's aunt just made pumpkin borani (like the eggplant I shared) and it was soooo good.

Squash.  Is.  Flexible.

Suu

I'm not a terribly huge fan of squash, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I'm always up for trying new ways of making and eating it. Personally just give me a yellow or zucchini and I'll throw it on the grill with some garlic.  :fap:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: triple zero on October 13, 2008, 11:54:32 PM

questions, any reason why you didn't add the garlic right away with the onion and celery? i usually try to get chopped garlic into oil as quick as possible cause i think some of the garlic flavours might evaporate (i'm not at all sure if this is actually true btw) and oil captures them.

and uhmm first you add milk instead of cream because of the arteries and then later on, when the arteries aren't looking, a chunk of butter? ;-)

It might also have to do with the desired thickness, when I make leek & potato soup I usually dilute the cream with milk for just the right consistency.  All depending on how much moisture evaporates during teh cooking process.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Eve

Quote from: Jenne on October 14, 2008, 01:38:58 AM
I make pumpkin curry soup every year--and I make the butternut squash as well.  Squash is a great food--I don't think we use it enough in this country.  Mostly just use pumpkin for pie, etc.  But not enough of it is appreciated.  My husband's aunt just made pumpkin borani (like the eggplant I shared) and it was soooo good.

Squash.  Is.  Flexible.

Made butternut squash risotto, and will likely be eating leftovers for the rest of the week.. but even for the leftovers-weary, it's DELICIOUS and worth every bite. :D Will post recipe later if there's interest.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

LMNO

Quote from: triple zero on October 13, 2008, 11:54:32 PM

garlic tends to burn very easily.  if it does, it gets really bitter and generally awful.  onion and celery need a longer time to break down and soften, and if you do them all together, the garlic will be done before the rest.

Quoteand uhmm first you add milk instead of cream because of the arteries and then later on, when the arteries aren't looking, a chunk of butter? ;-)

What Badger said.  It's a consistency thing, how "creamy" you want it to taste.  The butter at the end adds an extra silky texture, rather than an overly creamy one.

LMNO

Ok, this is a pretty simple one.  Here's some of your ingredients (never mind the pumpkin): Fennel seed, sage, cumin, oregano, onion, garlic, hot pepper, worcestershire sauce.  Not pictured: Egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese.

Of course, though, I like to get too clever by half.  Let's throw that hot pepper over an open flame.

Char it!

Yeah!  Burn it like a protesting monk!

Ok, throw it in a ziplock, and when it cools, rub the charred skin off, seed it, and mince.

Beat an egg.  Hey, is that... Is that ground venison?  From a deer killed by your father-in-law?  Why yes.  Yes it is.

Throw it all in a bowl.  I really didn't need to show you the chopped vegetables, did I?  Smoosh it together.

Put ¼ of the mix in each mini loaf pan.  While you're at it, cut some slices of fontina cheese.

Lay the cheese in the middle of the mixture, but not touching the sides.

Put the rest of the mix on top, sealing in the cheese, and top with more parmesan.

Bake for an hour at 375.  Serve with a simple salad of butter lettuce, tomatoes, and feta, with a lemon/olive oil dressing.

Payne

Sweet Merciful Fuck, Meatloaf!

That looks awesome man. I believe I may try this. What would you suggest as an alternative to Venison?

LMNO

Any ground meat will do.  Just be aware of the fat content, as it tends to render and bubble up the sides of the pan.

Often, I combine ground turkey with some italian sausage, for extra flavor goodness.

East Coast Hustle

Venison should only be eaten when starvation is imminent.

aside from that, it looks like a good meatloaf. I like the fontina pocket in the middle.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Eve on October 14, 2008, 12:24:14 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 14, 2008, 01:38:58 AM

Squash.  Is.  Flexible.

Made butternut squash risotto, and will likely be eating leftovers for the rest of the week.. but even for the leftovers-weary, it's DELICIOUS and worth every bite. :D Will post recipe later if there's interest.

Post recipe, sexy fraulein!

Also, speaking of sexy frauleins, god damn LMNO, that meat loaf looks tasty, and I'm not big on meat loaf. Cheese pocket? Amazing! I <3 cheese. I <3 pockets. It's like a match made in heaven.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.