News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Also, once they're roasted and peeled, you can slice them and add to standard salads, or cube them and toss with feta, hazelnuts, thyme, balsamic vin and oil.  You can chill them too, so it can be a cold salad.

[edit: I think i have a salad somewhere in here.  BRB.]

Back.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=18015.msg702446#msg702446

Has a beet salad.  At the bottom of that page is a way to use the beet greens (braised, with bacon).

Jenne

Ah, I was wondering if I'd seen a beet salad here or just dreamed it.  Glad it wasn't all in my head.  Thank you again!

LMNO

Some sort of summer squash and sausage soup

Start by browning some Italian sausage.  This one is made from chicken.

Cook some pasta.  This is orchiette.

Remove sausage, lower heat, add anchovy paste, onion, jalepeno. Saute.

Add chopped garlic, deglaze with wine.

Return sausage.

Add chicken stock, oregano, thyme.

Add zucchini and summer squash, halved and sliced thinly.

Add chopped tomato and cooked pasta.  Simmer until pasta is warmed through, and squash is softened but still has some texture (only a few minutes).

Squeeze in half a lemon.

Serve with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.

Dysfunctional Cunt

That looks wonderful!!! 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Sadly, because I used jalepenos, this recipe is not authentic.

Don Coyote

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 11, 2011, 06:50:39 PM

:?

Authentic what?

Don Coyote

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: COL Coyote on August 11, 2011, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: Khara on August 11, 2011, 07:19:43 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 11, 2011, 06:50:39 PM

:?

Authentic what?

eyetallian food

Ah, well I thought it was.....
Quote from: LMNO, PhDSome sort of summer squash and sausage soup
so I were confuzzled......

No worries LMNO, it's an authentic LMNO creation.....  :D

LMNO

'Twas a joke cross referenced from the "Earth-ly Delights insults PD.com" thread in AE.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysfunctional Cunt

:oops:

I really haven't paid a lot of attention to that thread until today.  I am bad panda....

:oops:

Triple Zero

Quote from: Jenne on April 27, 2011, 03:17:24 PMMy husband made something with them that while tasty, was too odd to keep on with it...so I wanted to try something else.

This intrigues me.

Also, the way I prepare beets, which are red beets, the kind that stain everything red/purple: Wash them to get the dirt off, then boil them on low heat for about 1.5 hours, depending on size. Drain, and running under cold water you can pretty much "wipe" off the skin when they're boiled properly. Then you cut out the really odd looking knobby bits if there are any, and chop em in cubes.

They're good if you mix them with some sauteed onions or shallots, creme fraiche (sour cream, kinda), black pepper and (dried or fresh) dill leaves, pinch of salt.

If your beets are very different from the red beets I get, I cannot vouch for this recipe, but you can always try it cause beets are cheap, right? :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I recently dropped a bowl of red beets, the results being that it looked like I had just waded through a murderfield.

I love beets. Also, they are almost shockingly easy to grow. I usually make borscht, or boil them and eat them with salt and vinegar.