News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Death of a 4th century Heretic

Started by Richter, October 14, 2008, 11:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

It was then Saturday, and... going out of the imperial palace, attended by a crowd of Eusebian [Eusebius of Nicomedia is meant] partisans like guards, he [Arius] paraded proudly through the midst of the city, attracting the notice of all the people. As he approached the place called Constantine's Forum, where the column of porphyry is erected, a terror arising from the remorse of conscience seized Arius, and with the terror a violent relaxation of the bowels: he therefore enquired whether there was a convenient place near, and being directed to the back of Constantine's Forum, he hastened thither. Soon after a faintness came over him, and together with the evacuations his bowels protruded, followed by a copious hemorrhage, and the descent of the smaller intestines: moreover portions of his spleen and liver were brought off in the effusion of blood, so that he almost immediately died. The scene of this catastrophe still is shown at Constantinople, as I have said, behind the shambles in the colonnade: and by persons going by pointing the finger at the place, there is a perpetual remembrance preserved of this extraordinary kind of death.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cainad (dec.)

PROLAPSE?! :x

Nigel, what have yuo done?

LMNO

I just want to say I love the use of the phrase "violent relaxation".

We need to come up with some sort of catchphrase using it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on October 15, 2008, 02:30:39 PM

PD.COM: Produces a violent relaxation of the bowels.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

HIMEOBS: Provides Violent Relaxation.

Suu

Apparently Violent Relaxation is a band AND something to do with physical science.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Sounds like something akin to hysterical blindness.

Richter

Followup:  Before his death, this dude had been at odds with the early Christian church for years over various ideas.  He had jsut gotten this cleared up, and been OK'd to recieve communion again.

Arius had this spectacular fatal evacuation on the Saturday before he'd have partaken in said communion for the first time in years, and hence the act was seen by many as a sort of divine retribution.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Quote from: Richter on October 16, 2008, 03:11:00 PM
Followup:  Before his death, this dude had been at odds with the early Christian church for years over various ideas.  He had jsut gotten this cleared up, and been OK'd to recieve communion again.

Arius had this spectacular fatal evacuation on the Saturday before he'd have partaken in said communion for the first time in years, and hence the act was seen by many as a sort of divine retribution.

Next time on Drunk History with Richter!

Eater of Clowns

A Discordian results from the violent relaxation of the mind.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 19, 2008, 09:56:41 PM

A Discordian results from the violent relaxation of the mind.

:lulz: Welcome to the boards.

Eater of Clowns

For some reason this has stuck with me.  I propose:

PD.com - a violent relaxation of the internet.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.