News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on February 09, 2009, 04:03:45 AM
I still think god is an impersonal universal creative metaforce that gave way to Life and The Process of Sustaining.

RUBBISH!

God is a very real individual, who just happens to hate us all.

That's why he made Celine Dion.

And why I got my tongue stuck in that printer that time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I gotta say, the model that seems most accurate to me for some underlying force of the universe is actually a simplification and de-personalization of pre-institutional zoroastrianism... The ongoing competition between Druj (information entropy) and Ahura Mazda (negentropy), or in other words, the balance of the forces of order and the forces of chaos. Obviously, the order vs chaos thing is an oversimplification -- much of negentropy would be considered chaos, and much of entropy would be considered order, since information content is inversely proportional to the meeting of expectations.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You mean, sort of like how in Discordianism, chaos encompasses everything, and within chaos is order and disorder?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Vene

Quote from: Green Tea on February 09, 2009, 08:40:36 AM
It's always good to be able to knock an anthropologist down a peg or two.

Usen is the overarching force of existence, the uninvolved force that drives... well, everything. It is neither male nor female, it is "everything". I mean, it's pretty vague.

Most anthropologists translate Usen as "God", but to call it a god is a little naive. It's just what IS. It's what started everything. It doesn't have a personality. It doesn't care about anyone personally. Usen is what set the universe into motion. It is linguistically categorized as "he" but is neither male nor female... it couldn't be, as it exists on a level on which male and female are totally irrelevant. "Usen" is probably best translated as "The world" or "The universe".
That sounds a lot like pantheism the me.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Green Tea on February 09, 2009, 06:23:35 PM
You mean, sort of like how in Discordianism, chaos encompasses everything, and within chaos is order and disorder?

Kind of, except that entropy and negentropy don't cleanly correlate to order and chaos any more than good and evil do. But it's the same kind of balance; mostly just that the active domains are separated from the passive domains. Negentropy is close to what McKenna called 'novelty' -- it is basically new and interesting ideas, and the level of negentropy is determined by how difficult it is to predict by referring to existing order, while meanwhile negentropy adds to the existing order, while entropy breaks down order into disorder and adds stuff back into the pool of 'stuff' that negentropy draws from. Sort of like cutting the individual words out of a book and sticking them in a hat: cutting them up is entropy, and picking them out and making sentences out of them that weren't in the original book is negentropy, and it's entropy again when you get bored and stick them back in the hat.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Enki-][ on February 09, 2009, 08:17:53 PM
Quote from: Green Tea on February 09, 2009, 06:23:35 PM

Kind of, except that entropy and negentropy don't cleanly correlate to order and chaos any more than good and evil do. But it's the same kind of balance; mostly just that the active domains are separated from the passive domains. Negentropy is close to what McKenna called 'novelty' -- it is basically new and interesting ideas, and the level of negentropy is determined by how difficult it is to predict by referring to existing order, while meanwhile negentropy adds to the existing order, while entropy breaks down order into disorder and adds stuff back into the pool of 'stuff' that negentropy draws from. Sort of like cutting the individual words out of a book and sticking them in a hat: cutting them up is entropy, and picking them out and making sentences out of them that weren't in the original book is negentropy, and it's entropy again when you get bored and stick them back in the hat.

Your example reminded me of Mal-2's statement:

He becomes free to play order games and change them at will. He becomes free to play disorder games just for the hell of it. He becomes free to play neither or both. And as the master of his own games, he plays without fear, and therefore without frustration, and therefore with good will in his soul and love in his being.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2009, 12:36:28 PM
Quote from: Kai on February 09, 2009, 04:03:45 AM
I still think god is an impersonal universal creative metaforce that gave way to Life and The Process of Sustaining.

RUBBISH!

God is a very real individual, who just happens to hate us all.

That's why he made Celine Dion.

And why I got my tongue stuck in that printer that time.
TGRR: Minister of Maltheism.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

An update of my youthfully malleable beliefs:

I've conceived of a dualistic approach that is similar to Cartesian Dualism.  There is matter and energy, which I am freely applying my vague understanding of physics to be merely Energy.  All matter is (in the sense that I intend it) Energy.  So the physical universe is just Energy.  Then there's Information, which I'm taking to be any abstract form, as per Plato.  Information and Energy shape everything there is, in this dualistic approach.  Everything from mere objects caused by natural processes (Plain Energy), ideas (Plain Information), and minds (a mix of Energy and Information). 

That's my ontological belief matrix thing.  For now.

Cainad (dec.)

I believe that I can't be arsed to articulate my metaphysical beliefs because I'll just end up changing my mind anyway.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cainad on February 10, 2009, 11:14:36 PM
I believe that I can't be arsed to articulate my metaphysical beliefs because I'll just end up changing my mind anyway.

Same here.

But maybe it's worth a shot.

The record of changes could be enlightening as well.

Problem is I live inside of Adobe programs, books, and the soft bosom of my girlfriend these days.

Unfortunately, in that order.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Felix on February 10, 2009, 11:10:10 PM

I've conceived of a dualistic approach that is similar to Cartesian Dualism.  There is matter and energy, which I am freely applying my vague understanding of physics to be merely Energy.  All matter is (in the sense that I intend it) Energy.  So the physical universe is just Energy.  Then there's Information, which I'm taking to be any abstract form, as per Plato.  Information and Energy shape everything there is, in this dualistic approach.  Everything from mere objects caused by natural processes (Plain Energy), ideas (Plain Information), and minds (a mix of Energy and Information). 

Felix!

IS THAT YUO?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on February 10, 2009, 11:10:10 PM

Do we know you?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Net on February 11, 2009, 08:58:48 AM
Quote from: Cainad on February 10, 2009, 11:14:36 PM

Same here.

But maybe it's worth a shot.

The record of changes could be enlightening as well.

Problem is I live inside of Adobe programs, books, and the soft bosom of my girlfriend these days.

Unfortunately, in that order.

True, recording the changes can be interesting. I'd just rather not record it in the form of a series of definitive statements that I end up disagreeing with.