News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Telarus on February 14, 2009, 06:55:15 AM
Quote from: Soul Sojourner on February 14, 2009, 06:30:07 AM
Hmm, I put atheist simply because I believe in no gods, but I do have beliefs.

Mammon still jacks your paycheck, just the same.
:lulz:
Holy Shit! this is seriously funny.

Jasper

Quote from: Broken AI on February 14, 2009, 10:10:21 PM
QuoteYou'd be horrified how many bad bands and acts have the words "I believe" as part of their lyrics.

Man, I know. I googled it for my reply earlier ITT. Lazy bastards.  :lulz: The lack of originality is quite scary.

Last night I saw a band that did a song that comprised repeating the words "settle down" for six minutes straight.  I think it was some kind of corny reverse psychology plot.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on February 15, 2009, 05:26:36 AM
Quote from: Broken AI on February 14, 2009, 10:10:21 PM
QuoteYou'd be horrified how many bad bands and acts have the words "I believe" as part of their lyrics.

Man, I know. I googled it for my reply earlier ITT. Lazy bastards.  :lulz: The lack of originality is quite scary.

Last night I saw a band that did a song that comprised repeating the words "settle down" for six minutes straight.  I think it was some kind of corny reverse psychology plot.

WTF? 

After 2 minutes, you're supposed to haul them off stage and jam their instruments up their arses.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

I would have been mauled;  the song wasn't the most horrifying part, everyone else loved them.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on February 15, 2009, 05:38:21 AM
I would have been mauled;  the song wasn't the most horrifying part, everyone else loved them.

That's when it's time to go totally berserk.

When the police come, just tell them you were slamdancing and got caught up in the mix.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

I need to invent a combination boat horn/bear spray canister for things like this.

Cyclone

I suppose Agnostic would be the best lable for me, rationally I understand that nothing can be known about any higher power, and that the idea of any existing at all seems rather unlikely from my point of view(but by no means am I discounting it)

However, I try to ignore my rational self in day to day life and live as if their were a real Eris out there, I don't want to say that I do believe she exists, but sometimes I sorta do.[/failing at explaining his theological position]

Iron Sulfide

you know, i voted back in octoberish, but i never elaborated...

I voted "prefer not to be labeled"- because there is a distinct
Taoist slant, predicated on Christian habit, as pointed out by
So-So some pages back. However, i highly disagree with his
opinions on the accessibility of the Tao Te Ching- high weirdness
in the original PD is just as aloof, and koans and poems for the Tao
are just as nonsensical.

Not only that, but it isn't restricted to Christian and Taoist perspectives.
there's a fair amount of Hinduism, Sikhism, Islam/Sufi, Gnosticism, even Satanism.

basically, how i feel is summed in this cock and repost:

QuoteQuote from: vexati0n on October 14, 2008, 07:38:39 PM
On a serious note, I think there could be more religion in Discordianism than there is, or at least we could frame some elements of it in a religious tone. For example O:M could be seen as a sacrament or ritual that actually produces results. In my IRL experience moreso than online, the act of O:M is useful not only to potentially free a person's brain from its programming, but to help yours stay more free. The thrill of O:M is one reward, and it also become easier to stay outside the programming if you keep it up.

Quote from: ME
The problem is that calling it a ritual or sacrament might lead to making it formulaic like any other ritual, and what should be an exciting act could become a chore that you do mindlessly, resulting in no net gain for you.

one idea i had about the "fer srsly" rituals in the PD was that by seriously practicing a ritual (for someone who is soooo religious, i.e. non-discordant) someone is presented with:

blasphemy/taboo: for those of you haven't experienced religious taboo/weren't raised initially with strong religious backgrounds, performing a blasphemy to a core value is an event that can cause fracture. by, for example, an initiate raised as a devout catholic- eating a hotdog on friday can be strange, or shouting "Flying Babyshit!" during a baptism, or "cursing" someone with the turkey curse... these rituals bring old conditioning to the forefront of the initiate's awareness ("i can't eat a hot dog...it's friday fer chissake!") creating a moment of cognitive dissonance.

some things that might be felt as a result are: fear; guilt; curiosity; intrigue; silliness; etc...

to what degree a person feels this, and what exactly they feel, one may be able to gauge the extent to which old dogmas and memes are present, and what their strength currently is.

With this arena, static rituals are already in place with the PD (i personally wouldn't do very many of them todays), so one could consider OM to be initiation to and practice of the "Dynamic Mysteries" of our Living Religion.

just a thought.

I believe, for realz, that Discordia is among the last, if not THE last, Dynamic/Living religion. By that, i mean: We are a fluid conglomeration, we typically don't prevent "Change" for ourselves individually, or collectively. And we all know that which does not change, dies.

As for the "Mysteries Religion" aspect of it...Everything is a Mystery Religion if you approach it right. Fuck- Myspace is a mystery religion. All initiates that do not understand this: you must start over. Again.

Initiation never ends.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Urraco

I BELIEVE!!
HAHA!

What is of less importance is "what".

On another note:  :fap:
Spørk, børk? Pørk!

Pariah

Quote from: Urraco_El_Hechicero on February 18, 2009, 02:17:10 AM
I BELIEVE!!
HAHA!

What is of less importance is "what".

On another note:  :fap:

How long you guys think this ones gonna last. Three Hours? A Day?
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

the last yatto

i saw him last week, he seems like a cool dude
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

LMNO

Iron Sulfide

Ya' stupid Yank.

Urraco

Sigh.
No worries. I expect to be confused with noobs.
If only for destroying heterogenuity in faith.
Spørk, børk? Pørk!