News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

the last yatto

This popular chemistry demonstration is often called turning water into wine or water into blood. It's really a simple example of a pH indicator. Phenolphthalein is added to water, which is then poured into a second glass containing a base. If the pH of the resulting solution is right, you can make the water turn from clear to red to clear again, as long as you like.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryhowtoguide/ht/waterwine.htm

ITS WINE its water ITS WINE  :lulz:
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

MMIX

Quote from: noise maker on July 04, 2009, 04:33:23 PM
This popular chemistry demonstration is often called turning water into wine or water into blood. It's really a simple example of a pH indicator. Phenolphthalein is added to water, which is then poured into a second glass containing a base. If the pH of the resulting solution is right, you can make the water turn from clear to red to clear again, as long as you like.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryhowtoguide/ht/waterwine.htm

ITS WINE its water ITS WINE  :lulz:

aka ITS A CHEMICAL its a chemical ITS A CHEMICAL . . . hmmm kinda lost something in the translation there. when  i was a little girl my dad was an industrial chemist and he took me into the lab one day and one of the guys did this trick for me. i remember it vividly though it is over 50 yrs ago but i can honestly say i've never found it lulzy - do you think i am doing it wrong . . . ?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

the last yatto

they probally explained what was going on, to outsiders. you are turning a clear liquid red and then back.

dont you wanna pretend to be jesus in public too?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

MMIX

Quote from: noise maker on July 04, 2009, 07:36:04 PM
dont you wanna pretend to be jesus in public too?
nah . . . i never wanted to follow the crowd
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Rev. Stanley Baldwin

arg. \/ complicated w/ different threads ;-)

we try to synthesize them : compress information

sierpinsky (sp.=?) triangle next target?

if the model of logic used b/t frames were not based
on the euclidian 2-space geometry?

would that make sense?

Fibonacci has served us well, still,
"not everything thing that can be counted..."

Counting meaning as a quality expresses our interest
in proving ourselves right?

How would we communicate this in NEWSPEAK?

To bait the argument:

What if Kant stood-up and said-
Wait, stop, God I beseech you listen to
  this pale remanence, before thee Wed:
   what is the unifying principle?

The Ring?

How do you picture that ring?

Quote from: Kai on July 04, 2009, 04:04:31 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on July 02, 2009, 08:48:51 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on July 01, 2009, 06:25:16 PM
the pet belief system I'm trying on this year is the one pushed in the Art of Memetics, where we're basically just a point of consciousness suspended in these nested egregores. And we ourselves are not a singular person, but a nested multiplicity of ideas and identities.

So at a very fine level you have cells. If you zoom in to see just cells, they look like like individual entities.
-zoom out and you see tissue
--zoom out and you see a person
---zoom out and you see a group of people
----zoom out and you see a business, religion, nation...

there's intelligence at all levels. This is fractal logic. Your body has circulatory, nervous, and immune systems. Your country has them too. We're all parts of the same giant entity.

bolded some bits i think are important. thanks Cram for putting this idea into words. this has actually been my belief system for a long, long time. maybe from reading Gödel Escher Bach, but I think already before that even, the first time I came up with a good idea about how consciousness and "free will" work, or are made up of, I immediately saw the correspondence with larger scale structures such as corporations, nations and economy. I thought if intelligence emerges out of complex information-flow networks that have certain properties*, then it must be happening on all levels (but on widely varying timescales btw. some stuff happens so slowly that you can't really communicate with it in one lifetime. the earth ecosystem, or a forest comes to mind).

the good thing about this idea is, that I can argue it scientifically.

however, it is NOT a scientific theory. in some ways (but not really) it is a bit similar to Lovelock's Gaia hypothesis. which was one of the textbook examples of pseudoscience in one of my philosophy classes. the problem with it being, that it is not falsifiable. this whole "fractal memetic network intelligence" idea, is also not falsifiable, so it's not a proper scientific theory.

but that's okay.

science works, no doubt about that. but being the strict formal system that it is, it logically follows that it either cannot produce all true theories, or that it must produce paradoxes (so far it has done both). hence, there must be true theories, that cannot be proven by science. simple as that. if you done a bit of philosophy of science, you should know that the scientific method does have its limitations, but that's okay, cause IMO it is still the most useful system we got.

just, don't confuse it with "the only way to Truth", cause that's nearly (but not quite) as bad as the mistake fundies make.

*unfortunately I only have a vague idea what kind of properties are required to distinguish a network with the potential for intelligence from one that doesnt. I do, however, have a sort of gut-feeling about it. I should probably lend it some more thought and work that out for myself.

You're both talking about emergence, and I love you.
G=T

Rev. Stanley Baldwin

G=T

the last yatto

how about you change what you count

Rev. Stanley Baldwin

Quote from: noise maker on July 05, 2009, 12:47:03 AM
how about you change what you count

I like, this, on many levels  :lulz:
(cannot argue w/ quantum physics ;-)
G=T

Rev. Stanley Baldwin

is it the thing that changes when we count,
or did we forget to count the way we change?
G=T

Kai

Reverend, I'm sorry but I don't think I understand anything you're talking about.  :?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

the last yatto

arg. \/ complicated w/ different threads
threads run single file, carry over is only meh

meme programming?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. Stanley Baldwin on July 04, 2009, 10:07:50 PM
arg. \/ complicated w/ different threads ;-)

sierpinsky (sp.=?) triangle next target?

if the model of logic used b/t frames were not based
on the euclidian 2-space geometry?

would that make sense?

Fibonacci has served us well, still,

Counting meaning as a quality expresses our interest
in proving ourselves right?

How would we communicate this in NEWSPEAK?

To bait the argument:

What if Kant stood-up and said-
Wait, stop, God I beseech you listen to
  this pale remanence, before thee Wed:
   what is the unifying principle?

The Ring?

How do you picture that ring?

Oh, boy.  Word salad.   :|
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rev. Stanley Baldwin

un-tossing salad requires a "retro-retractive" toll for wastelands to grow, so,
in lieu of any catch-22, look what the cat dragged in tonight... (eh, next post
will explain how we made it to the bathroom in Casablanka)
G=T

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. Stanley Baldwin on July 05, 2009, 08:38:11 PM

:|
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Roaring Biscuit!

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 05, 2009, 08:49:31 PM
Quote from: Rev. Stanley Baldwin on July 05, 2009, 08:38:11 PM

:|

do you wanna say it or shall i?