News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Kai

Quote from: Rev. Stanley Baldwin on July 05, 2009, 08:38:11 PM
un-tossing salad requires a "retro-retractive" toll for wastelands to grow, so,
in lieu of any catch-22, look what the cat dragged in tonight... (eh, next post
will explain how we made it to the bathroom in Casablanka)

Enki]-[, did you let  ZALGoS in here to have an account? Just curious, cause this poster sounds /very/ familiar.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Roaring Biscuit! on July 05, 2009, 09:19:11 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 05, 2009, 08:49:31 PM
Quote from: Rev. Stanley Baldwin on July 05, 2009, 08:38:11 PM
un-tossing salad requires a "retro-retractive" toll for wastelands to grow, so,
in lieu of any catch-22, look what the cat dragged in tonight... (eh, next post
will explain how we made it to the bathroom in Casablanka)

:|

do you wanna say it or shall i?

Go right ahead.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh, please let it be a fucking bot made by Enki.

Oh, please please please.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Roaring Biscuit!

QuoteOh, please let it be a fucking bot made by Enki.

Oh, please please please.

i was gonna rock the "where do we get these fuckos" - TGRR (thats you!) angle, but that is also appropriate.

Thurnez Isa

39 more posts
:sad:

I'm getting impatient
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cramulus on July 02, 2009, 01:14:00 AM
I guess my best answer so far is: I don't know anything with enough certainty to answer that question

I checked off Agnostic on the survey ITT.

AFTER AGNOSTICISM, WHAT'S LEFT?

I think Agnosticism  (maybe ignosticism back a couple pages?) is what it eventually boils down for me too.  I think the moment one identifies something as a 'belief' the mortar for one's BIP is hardened.  There are beliefs out there that may seem comforting but then the world is defined and it becomes a 'This and not this' situation.  This, i think, is what creates fear.  One ends up siding with the 'good' side of a belief and shuns the 'bad'.  Constant aversion builds up and one is fucked. Rather, that which is feared becomes an lesser option rather than an aversion. It seems to me that living spontaneously is more thrilling and creates more novelty than going around trying to 'fit' the world into a predefined model.  Honestly, even calling it 'agnosticism/ignosticism' implies definition ... but i'll use it for lack of a better term.

The basis of things as a perpetual falling, while, every now and then, stopping and allowing myself to be seduced with various ideas really works for me.

I see no sense in creating a division between myself, my environment, what is spiritual, what is material, and so on.   

As to the mushroom thing, I've heard TGRR say that it's not a religious experience...that you're just 'high' before.  But if I consider everything around me as a religious experience then there is no division but simply a different perspective that may or may not be useful. Heh,  I don't really know if that is agreeing or disagreeing. 

anyhow, that's me, atm.

Kai

QuoteI think the moment one identifies something as a 'belief' the mortar for one's BIP is hardened.  There are beliefs out there that may seem comforting but then the world is defined and it becomes a 'This and not this' situation.  This, i think, is what creates fear.  One ends up siding with the 'good' side of a belief and shuns the 'bad'.  Constant aversion builds up and one is fucked. Rather, that which is feared becomes an lesser option rather than an aversion. It seems to me that living spontaneously is more thrilling and creates more novelty than going around trying to 'fit' the world into a predefined model.

I don't know if getting caught in perpetual existential thought is good either though. If you want to change your BIP, you have to have a cell to work with. If you want to alter your maps, you have to have a map to start from. You can only change whats actually there, so starting from a point of stability is good.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

If you had said something about "eating the menu", you might have achieved maximum meme density.

BIP ---> drowned in its own jargon.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Kai on July 06, 2009, 08:26:33 PM
QuoteI think the moment one identifies something as a 'belief' the mortar for one's BIP is hardened.  There are beliefs out there that may seem comforting but then the world is defined and it becomes a 'This and not this' situation.  This, i think, is what creates fear.  One ends up siding with the 'good' side of a belief and shuns the 'bad'.  Constant aversion builds up and one is fucked. Rather, that which is feared becomes an lesser option rather than an aversion. It seems to me that living spontaneously is more thrilling and creates more novelty than going around trying to 'fit' the world into a predefined model.

I don't know if getting caught in perpetual existential thought is good either though. If you want to change your BIP, you have to have a cell to work with. If you want to alter your maps, you have to have a map to start from. You can only change whats actually there, so starting from a point of stability is good.

I don't really think that perpetual existential thought or even changing the BIP is really what i was getting at.  I'm more suggesting about watching thoughts without identifying with them therefore operating under a more spontaneous approach.  I used the BIP metaphor simply because on this board it's one that most of us are familiar with (but has apparently become rather tiresome).

I'm saying that a blank piece of paper in lieu of a map is a more useful approach for me right now.  I'd say that my point of stability is throwing away the map and looking at the ground under my feet.  Along the way I might enjoy other models like i would enjoy sniffing various types of flowers but there's no sense of picking them from the ground.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense -- I don't want to get too caught up in metaphor. 

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: B_R|S on July 06, 2009, 09:03:13 PM
Quote from: Kai on July 06, 2009, 08:26:33 PM

An excellent point. If we make maps from existing maps, then we're only making a map of a map... not a map of territory. Our map would have all the flaws and errors of the first map... plus whatever additional semantic errors we've tossed in my reworking it... it would be further separated from the real territory, rather than becoming a better map.

Copying a bad map doesn't make it better...  :lulz:

I don't really think that perpetual existential thought or even changing the BIP is really what i was getting at.  I'm more suggesting about watching thoughts without identifying with them therefore operating under a more spontaneous approach.  I used the BIP metaphor simply because on this board it's one that most of us are familiar with (but has apparently become rather tiresome).

I'm saying that a blank piece of paper in lieu of a map is a more useful approach for me right now.  I'd say that my point of stability is throwing away the map and looking at the ground under my feet.  Along the way I might enjoy other models like i would enjoy sniffing various types of flowers but there's no sense of picking them from the ground.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense -- I don't want to get too caught up in metaphor. 
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Juana

Bump.

I'm doing a paper on Discordianism and would like to have a vague idea of belief rates from a larger pool than the 143 who voted prior. If you haven't voted, kindly do. :)
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

tyrannosaurus vex

i accidentally explained my belief in a higher being to my friend thusly:

Friend: when did you realize you didn't believe in god?
Me: that's a long, sad story.
F: okay i won't ask then. but seriously, do you believe in anything?
M: yeah, but it's nothing like "god." that just seems silly to me.
F: okay but whatever it is, why would it allow suffering <etc etc etc>
M: Maybe because it's too big and complex to be aware of us as individuals. Maybe it is to us as we are to cells in our body, or macroeconomics is to you buying a bag of weed.
F: uhh... i think you blew my mind just now. so god is whatever everything adds up to?
M: no, whatever it adds up to is just whatever it adds up to. "god" is the fact that it adds up.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Jasper

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 29, 2010, 09:08:32 PM
That's an interesting take.

I always thought that was a possibility if there is a god- we're just too small to account for.

Voted, btw
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: postvex™ on November 29, 2010, 09:06:56 PM
i accidentally explained my belief in a higher being to my friend thusly:

Friend: when did you realize you didn't believe in god?
Me: that's a long, sad story.
F: okay i won't ask then. but seriously, do you believe in anything?
M: yeah, but it's nothing like "god." that just seems silly to me.
F: okay but whatever it is, why would it allow suffering <etc etc etc>
M: Maybe because it's too big and complex to be aware of us as individuals. Maybe it is to us as we are to cells in our body, or macroeconomics is to you buying a bag of weed.
F: uhh... i think you blew my mind just now. so god is whatever everything adds up to?
M: no, whatever it adds up to is just whatever it adds up to. "god" is the fact that it adds up.

Shades of Flatland, ITT.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson