News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Iptuous on October 21, 2008, 08:38:00 PM
Quote from: GA on October 21, 2008, 08:12:17 PM
So you're not just defining god to be the universe, but making claims about the universe (it is self-aware.)  That I can work with.  Could you elaborate on how it is comforting to you?  (Personally, I'd find the existence of a near-infinite consciousness would render me superfluous.)

It is comforting in the sense that i can imagine the universe to have some intrinsic life or awareness that permeates it, rather than a cold empty cosmos.  also, meaning, in my book requires a consciousness to render it.  This allows for a universal meaning, even if it is less understandable to me as my desires are to the individual molecules that make up my body. it's an emotional thumbsucking based on semantic jiu-jitsu, i know, but it works for me.

I agree with you that it takes intelligence/consciousness to render meaning.  Meaning I consider to be an interpretation of observations; something has to be doing the interpreting to come up with meaning.  So (in my book) there is no objective meaning, only subjective meaning.

I don't understand how a universal consciousness's meaning is at all relevant to you or me.  If you just want meaning independent of yourself, I'd be happy to render some for you.  Why do you need a really big brain to do it?

On a side note:
It does seem that complexity is required for consciousness.  But does complexity imply consciousness?  I really need to read GEB...
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Payne

Quote from: Iptuous on October 21, 2008, 10:14:12 PM
Quote from: Payne on October 21, 2008, 10:07:20 PM
No question of God until now. Belief does not necessarily require religion, spiritualism, Gods, Goddesses etc etc or denial thereof.

While that is true, i think the implied question here is 'what do you believe re: spiritualism, Gods, Goddesses etc etc or denial thereof?....

what box do you check in that column?

I posted already about that, agnostic. And while this discussion is framed around spiritualism and religion, I think it's worthwhile exploring other types of belief as well.

It COULD be a productive discussion, after all.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: GA on October 21, 2008, 10:22:12 PM
I agree with you that it takes intelligence/consciousness to render meaning.  Meaning I consider to be an interpretation of observations; something has to be doing the interpreting to come up with meaning.  So (in my book) there is no objective meaning, only subjective meaning.

I don't understand how a universal consciousness's meaning is at all relevant to you or me.  If you just want meaning independent of yourself, I'd be happy to render some for you.  Why do you need a really big brain to do it?

On a side note:
It does seem that complexity is required for consciousness.  But does complexity imply consciousness?  I really need to read GEB...

It's relevant because a meaning rendered by a universal intelligence (of which i am an infinitesimal part) would necessarily be a universal meaning.  That's just comforting...  Even if i can't access it.  I know it's there.  (assuming the universe at large isn't a nihilist  :lol:)

re: side note - complexity doesn't necessarily imply consciousness.  look at wolfram's cellular automata that display infinite complexity from extremely simple rules.  no intelligence there.  But sufficient complexity with sufficient feedback........

As for that hyper intelligent shade of the color blue, i dunno how that happened.

Quote from: Payne on October 21, 2008, 10:26:17 PM
I posted already about that, agnostic. And while this discussion is framed around spiritualism and religion, I think it's worthwhile exploring other types of belief as well.
Oopsum.....i musta been focusing on the shit stirring at that point. sry...  :D

Golden Applesauce

Wouldn't the universe have to either be a nihilist or delusional?  Nihilism is the belief that nothing apart from yourself exists; if you actually are everything, then there isn't anything apart from yourself.

Now, if the universe is self-aware, it's an individual.  So your "universal" meaning is just a really big individual's meaning.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: GA on October 21, 2008, 10:55:30 PM
Wouldn't the universe have to either be a nihilist or delusional?  Nihilism is the belief that nothing apart from yourself exists; if you actually are everything, then there isn't anything apart from yourself.

Now, if the universe is self-aware, it's an individual.  So your "universal" meaning is just a really big individual's meaning.

Hrmmm, I dunno if those are useful questions. I don't think 'individual' or 'nihilistic' are necessarily useful symbols in a model discussing the Universe as some sort of intelligence or conscious entity.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Iptuous on October 21, 2008, 10:39:12 PM
re: side note - complexity doesn't necessarily imply consciousness.  look at wolfram's cellular automata that display infinite complexity from extremely simple rules.  no intelligence there.  But sufficient complexity with sufficient feedback........
Rule 30 is a rough estimate of what god looks like.

QuoteAs for that hyper intelligent shade of the color blue, i dunno how that happened.
:lulz: I hope I'm not the only one to get that reference.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Payne

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 21, 2008, 11:07:29 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on October 21, 2008, 10:39:12 PM
Rule 30 is a rough estimate of what god looks like.

QuoteAs for that hyper intelligent shade of the color blue, i dunno how that happened.
:lulz: I hope I'm not the only one to get that reference.

I think we've ALL read Douglas Adams.

BADGE OF HONOR

I call myself agnostic because I don't give a fuck, so I'm glad that there is an option for not giving a fuck. 

If I had to say anything, I'd say that god doesn't exist and that religion is an invention to make life bearable, which would make me an atheist, except that just because religion is an invention to make life bearable doesn't make it any less relevant or useful to believers, in which case it doesn't really matter whether or not god actually exists, because he exists to the people who believe in him.  I just don't, personally, find belief possible.

Thus, I don't give a fuck.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

East Coast Hustle

I shouldn't give a fuck, but I have trouble getting past the filter that causes me to be offended that things that are supposedly of the same species as myself could be so overwhelmingly stupid and irrational as to actually believe in the literal existence of deities.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

That's not nihilism... that's solipsism, and really its not even that.  People have, for the most part, a skewed idea of solipsism.  It doesn't mean that nothing apart from you exists, simply that we cannot know anything other than ourselves, which I think is true.  So, yes, I am a solipsist.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Hoopla on October 22, 2008, 01:16:37 AM

That's not nihilism... that's solipsism, and really its not even that.  People have, for the most part, a skewed idea of solipsism.  It doesn't mean that nothing apart from you exists, simply that we cannot know anything other than ourselves, which I think is true.  So, yes, I am a solipsist.

wait. i thought what you described is 'radical skeptecism' and what he described is solipsism.

GA, nihilism is simply the belief that there is no objective meaning.... (as my limited understanding of it goes).

hooplala

solipsism |ˈsälipˌsizəm|
noun
the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Hoopla on October 22, 2008, 01:25:11 AM
solipsism |ˈsälipˌsizəm|
noun
so is solipsism simply the result of applying radical skepticism and being able to get no further than cogito ergo sum?

Jasper

I'm an atheist who takes God in the poetic sense.  I've always appreciated the reverence and beauty of sincere religion's art, music, and architecture and have often lamented that it has to be based on a con.

hooplala

Quote from: Iptuous on October 22, 2008, 01:32:02 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 22, 2008, 01:25:11 AM
solipsism |ˈsälipˌsizəm|
noun
so is solipsism simply the result of applying radical skepticism and being able to get no further than cogito ergo sum?

I guess so.

If Ketchup can be Catsup, then... anything is possible?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman