News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Eve

I suppose, yeah. Give me my rose-colored glasses back, damnit.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

the last yatto

why cant thoughts give birth to  such deities, even if this universe-consciousness is merely the 5D with 3D being current plane and 4D being time.

were this Limbo or Mount Olympus might or might not be real. Then I feel you get into faries dont exisit they die, hocus pokeus. If this can be explain by Hey Zeus so be it, or if it explains group thoughts being the reality of the culture the monkeys of the mountain work for. SO BE IT

is Godzilla real or is it just Tokyo's way of dealing with the HORROR of the atomic beast

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Eve on October 22, 2008, 03:42:16 PM
Is it weird that I sort of wish I did believe in something, even though it's silly/stupid/total bullshit?  :sad:

Not at all.  I have felt great loss from abandoning my protestant christian beliefs.  They say ignorance is bliss, but knowing that all is right and good and there is some benevolent entity in control that loves you personally is one hell of a comfort.  i miss that terribly.
oh well....  :|

trippinprincezz13

Is it weird that I sort of wish I did believe in something, even though it's silly/stupid/total bullshit?  :sad:

No, after I stopped actively practising Catholicism, I felt like I should be practising something. But trying to force myself to believe a specific set of something didn't/can't work either. Now, although I occassionally feel "naked" without some sort of spiritual package to wrap myself in ("Catholic guilt" coming back to haunt me or some such thing), I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that trying to believe something is even more pointless and empty than believing in something that may or may not be real.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Cainad (dec.)

Everyone and everything is weird, in some sense. </e-prime>

But it may be worthwhile to examine why you have that wish, and if you really want it as part of your personality.

I am probably one of the few people who was raised in a secular (but not atheist) household, where freedom of and from religion reigned supreme. I was raised with only the vaguest notion of spiritual beliefs, so where many people perceive a certain "emptiness," I don't really notice anything at all. I am comfortable being "undefined."

Jasper

Quote from: Cainad on October 22, 2008, 06:31:48 PM

Everyone and everything is weird, in some sense. </e-prime>

But it may be worthwhile to examine why you have that wish, and if you really want it as part of your personality.

I am probably one of the few people who was raised in a secular (but not atheist) household, where freedom of and from religion reigned supreme. I was raised with only the vaguest notion of spiritual beliefs, so where many people perceive a certain "emptiness," I don't really notice anything at all. I am comfortable being "undefined."

Same here, and glad of it.  I was encouraged at a young age to "Make up my own religion" and even be my own God, if I felt like it.  So I really don't feel stressed by a lack of faith, because it was never presented to me as necessary.

AFK

I don't believe in any kind of personified deity.  It doesn't make sense to me.

But, I'm not sure I'd label myself an atheist or an agnostic either.  I mean, I think there is something beyond human control that can control humans.  It's not a thinking force.  It's a je ne sais quois.  It's like, when I play music, I do get a spiritual feeling from that activity.  That there are times a rhythm or a sound manifests itslef and then elicits something from within, a soul, if you will.  But not the Christian-defined soul.  Not some apparition that evaporates into the clouds when I die.  More of some kind of energy that exists and develops within me for a time, 70 or 80 years if I'm lucky, and then, just goes away.  

I have no idea what any of that is, so I'm not checking a box, but I wanted to share just the same.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 22, 2008, 06:38:02 PM

But, I'm not sure I'd label myself an atheist or an agnostic either.  I mean, I think there is something beyond human control that can control humans.  It's not a thinking force.  It's a je ne sais quois.  It's like, when I play music, I do get a spiritual feeling from that activity.  That there are times a rhythm or a sound manifests itslef and then elicits something from within, a soul, if you will.  But not the Christian-defined soul.  Not some apparition that evaporates into the clouds when I die.  More of some kind of energy that exists and develops within me for a time, 70 or 80 years if I'm lucky, and then, just goes away.  

I have no idea what any of that is, so I'm not checking a box, but I wanted to share just the same.  

I also often find the atheist lack of a personal essence metaphor irritating.  If only language were more divorced from religion.

Bu🤠ns

we're mud that stood up...and i think that's something.  i can't seem to fall into the 'i don't give a fuck' catagory because i just think it's all pretty beautiful.  you're all a bunch of mud ... and you're all gorgeous. we're a part of a process, significant because we're insignificant. this experience of consciousness, to me, is something so extrodinary i just can't find the words. so how could i even define ourself?

Jenne

Quote from: Iptuous on October 22, 2008, 04:45:09 PM

Not at all.  I have felt great loss from abandoning my protestant christian beliefs.  They say ignorance is bliss, but knowing that all is right and good and there is some benevolent entity in control that loves you personally is one hell of a comfort.  i miss that terribly.
oh well....  :|

I feel ya there.  You get so used to that...and then this void.

I would even catch myself talking internally still (yes, I had a "personal relationship with Christ" whereby I would talk to him, tell him my thoughts, plead, etc.)...and then I'd feel this wry guilt and stupidity when I stopped.

It was a very depressing time when I let all that go into the big, black beyond, and I don't miss it anymore, but I do miss the comfort I had around FAMILY who still believe and practice it.

Jenne

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 22, 2008, 06:38:02 PM

I think I'm on board with this...and I also only checked "prefer not to define myself."

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Jenne on October 22, 2008, 07:39:42 PM
... but I do miss the comfort I had around FAMILY who still believe and practice it.

No kidding.  it becomes awkward.  (especially since having children of my own.)  I have a good relationship with my family and we don't frequently butt heads re: religion, but it's unsettling to know that every night when they go to sleep, they are praying that the holy spirit will influence me to return to the flock....

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: YattoDobbs on October 22, 2008, 04:18:49 PM
why cant thoughts give birth to  such deities, even if this universe-consciousness is merely the 5D with 3D being current plane and 4D being time.

were this Limbo or Mount Olympus might or might not be real. Then I feel you get into faries dont exisit they die, hocus pokeus. If this can be explain by Hey Zeus so be it, or if it explains group thoughts being the reality of the culture the monkeys of the mountain work for. SO BE IT

is Godzilla real or is it just Tokyo's way of dealing with the HORROR of the atomic beast

SENSE, MOTHERFUCKER!!

DO YOU EVER MAKE IT??
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

BADGE OF HONOR

In my family we never discussed religion.  It just never came up.

I remember when I was about six, taking a tour of a church and having my mom finally explain what that crucifixion business was all about.

So yeah, I don't really have any sense of spirituality or belief.  It's just not a big deal.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".