News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Precious Moments Zalgo

I put atheist, even though that label says nothing about what I believe.  That label only tells you that there's at least one thing I don't believe.

While I don't pretend to know why there's a universe with us in it, instead of no universe and/or no us, I think that invoking the concept of god to explain it raises more questions than it answers.  I find the spontaneous existence of an unintelligent and purposeless universe much more credible than I find the spontaneous existence of a being capable of purposefully designing and creating a universe.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on February 11, 2009, 07:44:52 PM
I put atheist, even though that label says nothing about what I believe.  That label only tells you that there's at least one thing I don't believe.

While I don't pretend to know why there's a universe with us in it, instead of no universe and/or no us, I think that invoking the concept of god to explain it raises more questions than it answers.  I find the spontaneous existence of an unintelligent and purposeless universe much more credible than I find the spontaneous existence of a being capable of purposefully designing and creating a universe.

I'm not sure how credible I find either of those arguments. Either may be possible, but both require a lot of 'human reasoning' which I don't trust for shit.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on February 11, 2009, 07:44:52 PM
I don't pretend to know why there's a universe with us in it, instead of no universe and/or no us,

So you believe that you exist and the universe exists. That's a lot of very unfounded faith right there. I don't think I can really be 100% sure that either exists until I get some cold hard evidence.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

LMNO

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Enki-][ on February 11, 2009, 08:06:40 PMSo you believe that you exist and the universe exists. That's a lot of very unfounded faith right there. I don't think I can really be 100% sure that either exists until I get some cold hard evidence.
Heh.  I believe that it's beyond reasonable doubt that I exist and the universe exists, but I'm aware that isn't foolproof.

At any rate, it seems that things usually go better for me if I behave as if the objects and people around me are real and that my actions have consequences.  Whether the barstool is real or not is moot -- I just don't want to be hit over the head with it.

Quote from: Que Si on February 11, 2009, 07:53:07 PMI'm not sure how credible I find either of those arguments. Either may be possible, but both require a lot of 'human reasoning' which I don't trust for shit.
Me neither.  I don't consider either to be particularly compelling.  I was speaking of their credibility relative to each other, in my own judgment.  I don't need either to be true or false, and if I were to become convinced that Deism is true, I don't think it would really make a difference as to how I live my life.

If, on the other hand, I were to become convinced that one of the more vengeful gods were actually behind it, then I probably would change my life to avoid his or her wrath, because I'm a pussy like that.

PMZ,
is praying it's not Cthulhu.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Aufenthatt

I believe that at one point I had some great ideas about reality and had a freeing enlightenment.
Unfortunatly I forgot them, because part of them was not writing things down.
I do remember how I could act, even if I can't remember why, so untill I remember again i'll just act in a way that I thought was good while I could remember the thing that I can no longer remember, to the best of my ability, while at the same time questioning as much as I can, so long as I remember to do so.

Or not.

Its up to me.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on February 11, 2009, 08:19:57 PM
Quote from: Enki-][ on February 11, 2009, 08:06:40 PMSo you believe that you exist and the universe exists. That's a lot of very unfounded faith right there. I don't think I can really be 100% sure that either exists until I get some cold hard evidence.
Heh.  I believe that it's beyond reasonable doubt that I exist and the universe exists, but I'm aware that isn't foolproof.

At any rate, it seems that things usually go better for me if I behave as if the objects and people around me are real and that my actions have consequences.  Whether the barstool is real or not is moot -- I just don't want to be hit over the head with it.

Quote from: Que Si on February 11, 2009, 07:53:07 PMI'm not sure how credible I find either of those arguments. Either may be possible, but both require a lot of 'human reasoning' which I don't trust for shit.
Me neither.  I don't consider either to be particularly compelling.  I was speaking of their credibility relative to each other, in my own judgment.  I don't need either to be true or false, and if I were to become convinced that Deism is true, I don't think it would really make a difference as to how I live my life.

If, on the other hand, I were to become convinced that one of the more vengeful gods were actually behind it, then I probably would change my life to avoid his or her wrath, because I'm a pussy like that.

PMZ,
is praying it's not Cthulhu.

Hear Hear
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

I believe, I believe
With every breath that I breathe
You and me can turn a whisper to a scream
I believe, I believe
\

You'd be horrified how many bad bands and acts have the words "I believe" as part of their lyrics.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

It's an autosuggestion trigger for influencing the method of dealing with cognitive dissonance. "I believe that this band doesn't suck nearly as much as they seem to, and that my money was therefore not wasted on this damned 'i believe' song."

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Kai

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 09, 2009, 08:22:40 PM
Quote from: Enki-][ on February 09, 2009, 08:17:53 PM
Quote from: Green Tea on February 09, 2009, 06:23:35 PM
You mean, sort of like how in Discordianism, chaos encompasses everything, and within chaos is order and disorder?

Kind of, except that entropy and negentropy don't cleanly correlate to order and chaos any more than good and evil do. But it's the same kind of balance; mostly just that the active domains are separated from the passive domains. Negentropy is close to what McKenna called 'novelty' -- it is basically new and interesting ideas, and the level of negentropy is determined by how difficult it is to predict by referring to existing order, while meanwhile negentropy adds to the existing order, while entropy breaks down order into disorder and adds stuff back into the pool of 'stuff' that negentropy draws from. Sort of like cutting the individual words out of a book and sticking them in a hat: cutting them up is entropy, and picking them out and making sentences out of them that weren't in the original book is negentropy, and it's entropy again when you get bored and stick them back in the hat.

Your example reminded me of Mal-2's statement:

He becomes free to play order games and change them at will. He becomes free to play disorder games just for the hell of it. He becomes free to play neither or both. And as the master of his own games, he plays without fear, and therefore without frustration, and therefore with good will in his soul and love in his being.

And that there reminds me of a passage from The Process of Sustaining.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Soul Sojourner

Hmm, I put atheist simply because I believe in no gods, but I do have beliefs.

Brand spankin' new text! Just for TGRR.

Preistly Malevolence.
Goldfish.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Telarus

Quote from: Soul Sojourner on February 14, 2009, 06:30:07 AM

Mammon still jacks your paycheck, just the same.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on February 14, 2009, 06:55:15 AM

Mammon still jacks you paycheck, just the same.

FORUM ORVER.

TELARUS WINS.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 14, 2009, 06:35:58 AM
Hmm, I put atheist simply because I believe in no gods,

Optimist.

An optimist believes that this is the best of all potential worlds. A pessimist fears that the optimist may be right.