News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Richter

Please.

Worst duct tape use I've seen is as a makeshift jock strap.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Wizard

QuoteDoesn't work on Rain Gods.  We just talk through our arses.

You're a rain god? Must be uncomfortable.

Then all I need is a wooden stake and a hammer. Just knock you out, and place the stake in the appropriate orifice.
Insanity we trust.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on June 29, 2009, 03:23:25 AM
QuoteDoesn't work on Rain Gods.  We just talk through our arses.

You're a rain god? Must be uncomfortable.

Then all I need is a wooden stake and a hammer. Just knock you out, and place the stake in the appropriate orifice.

No stake, not even a telephone pole, can stop the emissions.  All you'd wind up with is a high-velocity piece of wood that's gotta land somewhere.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

This needs to be attempted and youtubed. :lulz:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia on June 29, 2009, 03:46:54 AM
This needs to be attempted and youtubed. :lulz:

Okay.  Someone come shove a telephone pole up my arse.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Wizard

Be careful what you wish for.
Insanity we trust.

The Good Reverend Roger

Cainad (dec.)

What they never told you about the Large Hadron Collider: it was the latest in a series of attempts to get the Discordians to shut up.

And does anyone else remember what happened? Not only did it not succeed, the fucking thing BROKE.

BabylonHoruv

ok, first off, I'm a pagan,  a polytheist to be specific which is why I picked Eris as well as other deities.  I'm specifically neopagan because I am not a reconstructionist trying to live some ancient pagan religion but instead I follow a fairly cobbled together faith that draws on ancient ones.

Now, given that I am sure a bunch of you already want to beat up the fluffy Wiccan, I'm really not, I generally don't enjoy Wiccan forums much, which is why i am on a discordian one instead, but I suppose my worldview is not all that different from theirs.  If you look at the Wiccan spell cookbooks most of them do have the basic idea right, although I find it to be much more clearly explained in Peter Carroll's works on chaos magick.  Why they choose to share all the spells they made up when they usually give you the basics on making your own I don't know.  Maybe so you can learn by example, but their examples tend to be a big pain in the ass.

Magic does work, if you believe in it.  The form is unimportant, as in any form will work, but the form is also very important because we tend to find it much easier to believe in something that is explained in a rigid way and we tend to have a much easier time getting into a magical headspace if we have set up rather rigid rules about how magic works.

Whether or not the deities are really really real is as irrelevant as whether or not the barstool is real.  Treating them as real works better for me than treating them as not real as far as living my life goes.  I get results from my theism and so, although I may be an agnostic deep down, I act as if the deities are real, which is, I think the important part of it all.

You may now commence with the witch burning.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Triple Zero

not a polytheist, but a MEGAtheist which means I believe in MORE and BETTER gods than you!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BabylonHoruv

Oh, I also believe in fairies, both in my garden and out in the woods.  For pretty much the same reasons I believe in deities, and barstools.

-Dok Howl

Cain

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 29, 2009, 07:07:29 AMMagic does work, if you believe in it.

Thats interesting, since science works even if you don't believe in it.

Cain

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 29, 2009, 07:28:48 AM
not a polytheist, but a MEGAtheist which means I believe in MORE and BETTER gods than you!

I'm an AwesomeTheist.  It doesn't matter how many gods I believe in, they're all cooler than the ones you do. 

An IndieTheist is someone who worships gods so cool, you haven't even heard of them yet.  And sniffs at you condescendingly when you admit that.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Cain on June 29, 2009, 11:14:51 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 29, 2009, 07:07:29 AMMagic does work, if you believe in it.

Thats interesting, since science works even if you don't believe in it.

No it doesn't.  Technology works, science doesn't "work" even if you do believe in it.  Technology meanwhile works under a pretty wide set of belief systems, but not under all of them, and under ones that contradict the intent of the technology (for instance, this computer is actually housing a demon, that makes it go, and if I interact with the demon it will eat my soul) it doesn't work.  The set of belief systems under which magic works may be a bit more restricted than the ones for technology, but there's also the fact that, for me, a world with fairies, witches, wizards, gods, and goddesses in it is way more fun and exciting than one in which those are either delusions of mine or people who are deluded.

-Dok Howl