News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

The "I'm Thinking of Making" Thread

Started by Jenne, October 25, 2008, 07:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Twas soooo yummy!  The sour cream really cuts the dill (just added the dill, can't believe I FORGOT to add that!) and sourness.

Ok, so for tonight, I actually took the leftover sirloin burgers we had bbq'd this weekend (I put bleu cheese inside most of them, then grilled them) and made bbq beef on buns with vinegar-based coleslaw inside, green beans with mushrooms and king's cake with the babies in  for dessert.  Oh, and hurricanes, of course...

BADGE OF HONOR

Someone recommend me some chocolate recipes.  The only requirement is no nuts, fruits, or coffee, because none of those have any business being paired with The Most Divine Food.  Peanut butter and mint are tolerable, but not ideal.  Really, I just need something to replace the sex I'm not getting.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My favorite chocolate recipe:

1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cube butter (I like salted, you may prefer unsalted)
1/2 tsp vanilla
4-5 eggs
1 TBSP water, milk or cream

Melt the chocolate with the butter in a double-boiler

Separate the egg yolks from the whites, beat the whites until soft-peak

Beat the yolks with the vanilla and water

Remove chocolate mixture from heat and let cool a minute, then pour into the egg yolks while beating. Add the chocolate to the yolk, not the other way round!

Fold chocolate-egg yolk mixture into egg whites, careful not to overstir

Pour into dessert cups, chill, serve. Best ever.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I always just use a whisk. Like this:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

Whoa, I misread that, somehow I assumed whipped cream was in there somewhere.

Also, I know it's possible to whip cream with a whisk but fuck that noise.

BADGE OF HONOR

I must say that, while I usually have a highly refined palette when it comes to chocolate, I don't like ghirardelli chips as much as Toll House.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GERMAN BREAST MACHINE on March 01, 2009, 05:22:41 AM
Whoa, I misread that, somehow I assumed whipped cream was in there somewhere.

Also, I know it's possible to whip cream with a whisk but fuck that noise.

Doesn't take that long with a good whisk, I do it all the time! At least, I did until I found the cartridge injector for my whipped-cream maker.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GERMAN BREAST MACHINE on March 01, 2009, 05:35:07 AM
I must say that, while I usually have a highly refined palette when it comes to chocolate, I don't like ghirardelli chips as much as Toll House.

Ghirardelli is not conched as long as Nestle. With the milk chocolate, frankly I think Nestle overconches, but with the semi-sweet it's perfect.

BADGE OF HONOR

Ghirardelli has a weird aftertaste like licorice or something. 

oh well, it was on sale half off so I thought I'd try it.

Jenne

Hm...I have a duck we have to make.  Not looking forward to it.

Any suggestions?

LMNO

Whole?

I have an easy whole duck recipe.

Jenne

LMNO

Get your largest stock pot out, and bring to a simmer.

Prep the duck by cutting of the tips of the wings (not the "buffalo" part, the little end bit with no meat on it), and with a sharp knife running parallel to the birds body, make tiny slits just under the skin all over the bird.  Do not cut into the meat, just small slits in the skin.

Submerge the duck in the simmering water.  It tends to float, so a wooden bowl can be used to keep it under the water.  Simmer for half an hour.  Do not boil.  The point is to gently render much of the fat out of the bird.

Remove duck.  Pat dry with a paper towel.  Beads of fat will seep out of the skin, so you may need to pat it down a few times.  Let sit and cool for 20 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 500.

Place duck in a roasting pan, and season liberally with salt and pepper.  Roast for 20 minutes, then check the temperature in the breast.  You don't need to go to 170 for duck; you'll kill it.  You can pull the duck out at about 155-160, as the residual heat will keep cooking it as you let it rest for about 15 minutes.

It's easy to make a gravy out of the pan drippings, a roux, and chicken stock (see my thread for pics).

The last thing to keep in mind is that a duck is slightly different to carve than a chicken or a turkey.  I'd do some googling on carving tips.

Jenne

THANK you--that is easy.  All that work with the fat, :x, but I know it's necessary or the fat is overpowering.

The seasoning is certainly simple.  Does the meat stand up to so little seasoning, I'm wondering? 

and what to go with?  Duck is such a powerful tasting meat...hard to say what goes well with that, kwim?