News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

The positive side of classical Eris

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 20, 2008, 02:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was just reading Wikipedia (yeah, I know) and came across this:

In Hesiod's Works and Days 11–24, two different goddesses named Eris "Strife" are distinguished:

So, after all, there was not one kind of Strife alone, but all over the earth there are two. As for the one, a man would praise her when he came to understand her; but the other is blameworthy: and they are wholly different in nature.
    For one fosters evil war and battle, being cruel: her no man loves; but perforce, through the will of the deathless gods, men pay harsh Strife her honour due.
    But the other is the elder daughter of dark Night (Nyx), and the son of Cronus who sits above and dwells in the aether, set her in the roots of the earth: and she is far kinder to men. She stirs up even the shiftless to toil; for a man grows eager to work when he considers his neighbour, a rich man who hastens to plough and plant and put his house in good order; and neighbour vies with his neighbour as he hurries after wealth. This Strife is wholesome for men. And potter is angry with potter, and craftsman with craftsman, and beggar is jealous of beggar, and minstrel of minstrel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eris_(mythology)

I had always thought the ancients perceived Our Lady as a royal bitch and pain in the ass, it's kind of nice to see that they recognized that there was a Hodge to her Podge.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on November 20, 2008, 02:58:29 AM

In Hesiod's Works and Days 11–24, two different goddesses named Eris "Strife" are distinguished:

So, after all, there was not one kind of Strife alone, but all over the earth there are two. As for the one, a man would praise her when he came to understand her; but the other is blameworthy: and they are wholly different in nature.
    For one fosters evil war and battle, being cruel: her no man loves; but perforce, through the will of the deathless gods, men pay harsh Strife her honour due.
    But the other is the elder daughter of dark Night (Nyx), and the son of Cronus who sits above and dwells in the aether, set her in the roots of the earth: and she is far kinder to men. She stirs up even the shiftless to toil; for a man grows eager to work when he considers his neighbour, a rich man who hastens to plough and plant and put his house in good order; and neighbour vies with his neighbour as he hurries after wealth. This Strife is wholesome for men. And potter is angry with potter, and craftsman with craftsman, and beggar is jealous of beggar, and minstrel of minstrel.

I had always thought the ancients perceived Our Lady as a royal bitch and pain in the ass, it's kind of nice to see that they recognized that there was a Hodge to her Podge.

I remember Cain mentioning this before. Its a cool thing.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

hooplala

True, but a lot of classical people refused to believe Eris could do any good and instead chose to believe there were two of her.  One that was beneficial and one that was anything but. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BAWHEED on November 20, 2008, 01:08:38 PM

True, but a lot of classical people refused to believe Eris could do any good and instead chose to believe there were two of her.  One that was beneficial and one that was anything but. 

That is what it says in the article.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

I just meant that they seemed unable to put beneficial aspects to her character without splitting her off into a separate deity with the exact same name.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BAWHEED on November 20, 2008, 05:32:27 PM
I just meant that they seemed unable to put beneficial aspects to her character without splitting her off into a separate deity with the exact same name.

They did seem to compartmentalize kind of heavily.

hooplala

It does seem to give credit to Hill and Thornley's idea that the ancient Greeks just really didn't understand Eris, and didn't want to try.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Its probably due to cultural change.  Both Hermes and Eris were originally portrayed negatively, because of attitudes towards trade prevalent from the 10th-6th centuries BC.  Because of a spate of tyrannies during the 6th century, alot of traditions got chucked by the wayside and merchants gained much more power.

In a military context, competition is bad (see: Thucydides), however in a trade context it is usually good.  But that trade context really did not exist much before the 6th century, and was distrusted by aristocratic elites and their priest allies.  As times changed, so did attitudes.