News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

I had a sour beer at Stone brewery lately, my second one I've ever tried ever, and it was a'ight.  It wasn't by Stone themselves, though.  Not sure I'm a sour beer fan.  Or maybe just haven't had it in the right setting.  And I'm a fan of a lot of our things, really.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Try Duchesse De Borgogne or Vichtenar
Those are good Flemish ales that aren't too sour.
CCB's Guava Grove is also a pretty mellow tart.

Kai

Squiddy, I just tried Dogfish Ale's new Chickory Stout (and have five more left). I also have a large bottle of Highland's seasonal Cold Mountain Winter Ale. Let me know if you want a review of either.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Suu

Sippin' on Dundee's Festive Ale. When people realize this beer is actually good, I think the price on them is going to skyrocket.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: ϗ on November 20, 2010, 10:18:09 PM
Squiddy, I just tried Dogfish Ale's new Chickory Stout (and have five more left). I also have a large bottle of Highland's seasonal Cold Mountain Winter Ale. Let me know if you want a review of either.

I've had the DFH but not the Highland.
I'd actually like your input on it cause we carry it at the bar and I'd like to know if it's worth my time trying it.

Precious Moments Zalgo

I found out today that a local distributor will start carrying Cigar City in my area.  I should be seeing some of their 750's around by Christmas.

:banana:
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Kai

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on November 22, 2010, 07:11:26 PM
Quote from: ϗ on November 20, 2010, 10:18:09 PM

I've had the DFH but not the Highland.
I'd actually like your input on it cause we carry it at the bar and I'd like to know if it's worth my time trying it.

The chickory stout is okay (just noting), good beginning but there's not much complexity. Mild chocolate and coffee flavor and smell, which goes more mild as it warms; I'm using a brandy sniffer because I find that's the best way to take in dark beers.

I'll pop open the Highland seasonal for thanksgiving, and let you know after. May even take a picture.

Oh! I just had a Founder's beer the other day, not the breakfast stout, but something else. Tasted /exactly/ like bourbon. It was excellent.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on November 23, 2010, 12:57:23 AM
I found out today that a local distributor will start carrying Cigar City in my area.  I should be seeing some of their 750's around by Christmas.

:banana:

Hell yeah! My fav's are:
Guava Grove
Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout
Hunahpu
Sea Bass

Suu

Ohay, I'll be down for Hunahpu season, right?

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: ϗ on November 23, 2010, 03:14:47 AMOh! I just had a Founder's beer the other day, not the breakfast stout, but something else. Tasted /exactly/ like bourbon. It was excellent.
Was it Backwoods Bastard?
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Suu on November 23, 2010, 05:05:22 PM
Ohay, I'll be down for Hunahpu season, right?

No. That is May or March :(

Suu

Kai

Kai

Cold Mountain Winter Ale
Highland Brewing Co.
Category: Winter Warmer     ABV: n/a

An amber red beer with a goodly amount of carbonation. Certainly fizzes on the way down. I can't say anything about the smell right now (since I have a cold) but I've read that it starts out cinnamon, and continues with other spiced ale elements. It's a very mild beer (keeping in mind I'm usually drinking stouts), but very drinkable in the sense that it's not for sipping. A little bit of bitter, but otherwise a full warm feeling, and the fizz (did I mention the fizz?). I've also read that it really needs to come to room temperature to bring out all the smells.

I don't think it's too bad, but it may not be worth your trouble, Squiddy. I will say, that nothing I've tried by Highland's has ever been bad. I guess by the winter warmer this is supposed to be a wassail ale. In that sense, it's not bad at all.

I just smelled the cinnamon a second ago, and it was nice.

Kai