News:

My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

Black Iron Prison v3 thread

Started by Cain, December 11, 2008, 06:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Lollercaust can happen...I've seen a lot of build-up over the years.  We just need another Manta-type dumpster diving expedition to uncover all the loll'ing that's been going on.

I think unfortunately there's alot of lollercaust that can't be forced...has to spontaneously happen.

Template

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m link=topic=18828.msg626647#msg626647 date=1229096179
Okay, take that and make the tags user definable. I'm thinking searching tags for "the machine" or "GSP" and being given a list of all the article-class posts which have those tags attributed to them. Articles would, of course, have numerous tags, collated from numerous members who all feel that something deserves a specific tag, perhaps with a weighting on the tag, which increases as more people attribute it to the piece. That way the results could be "tagranked" depending how many times a tag has been applied to one post, by different people.

I guess what I'm saying is that once you have a couple of thousand items collected under the headings "litgasm" and "omgasm" this is the next level of categorisation. It'd be quite a big database but an incredibly simple one. Unfortunately I don't know anything about interfacing with SMF so there's not much I can do, short of designing a table structure which would go along the lines of:

Table - PDTaglist

Fields..
TagID - Autonumber - primary key
PostID - Integer -  (indexed) - Reference to post number
TagName - Text (indexed)
Weight - integer - number of times this tag has been added to this post

There, I'm done.

GO LOOK AT DELICIOUS AGAIN, AND EXPLAIN WHY DATASTRUCTURES NEED BE IMPLEMENTED/MODIFIED.

DELICIOUS IS A SITE WHERE YOU STORE LINKS, AS IN PERMALINKS TO FORUM POSTS.  AN EXAMPLE IS THE LINK THAT POINTS BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL POST, AT THE TOP OF THE QUOTE SECTION.

I AM SHOUTING TO STOP YOU BEFORE YOU WASTE MORE ENERGY ON UNNEEDED PRELIMINARY WORK.

Fuck, I don't even use delicious.  But its basic function is to TAG USING FUCKING ANY URL.  Here's an example tag: blackironprison -->  http://delicious.com/search?p=blackironprison&u=&chk=&context=&fr=del_icio_us&lc=0

Altering the forum software for tags would be like hosting a video on the PD server instead of Youtube: mostly unnecessary.

bds

Quote from: yhnmzw on December 16, 2008, 08:56:31 PM
Altering the forum software for tags would be like hosting a video on the PD server instead of Youtube: mostly unnecessary.

Well, hosting on PD serv is good for things like the 1man1cup .gif.
Besides, youtube has crappy loading times, crappy video quality, and crappy irritating spam comments.
But, on the whole, yeah, youtube will do instead of filling up the PD server.

Template

Quote from: The Borderline Simpleton on December 16, 2008, 09:06:26 PM
Besides, youtube has crappy loading times, crappy video quality, and crappy irritating spam comments.

Thus my use of "mostly".  I'd worry more about the bandwidth cost of hosting videos.  Free is free, remember.

I'm not sure how much of BIP/GSP I understand, but I'd submit that a two-headed or conjoined-twin text would require that both seem dead-serious.  I'd recognize and avoid forcing/seeming to force the serious-humorous dichotomy to match up with BIP-GSP.

Also, I see an updated Hodgepodge transformer, or the five-fingered hand -><- as the visual component of the middle of the book, if we make a flipping version.

I know someone here can do the 3D programs.  Cold, black iron and warm gold might comprise the transformer, seemingly randomly combined.

bds

Quote from: yhnmzw on December 16, 2008, 09:09:57 PM

Thus my use of "mostly".  I'd worry more about the bandwidth cost of hosting videos.  Free is free, remember.

Indeed.
Another sombunall fail by me.
Feel free to add to the tally, LMNO.
:sad:

Jenne

Quote from: The Borderline Simpleton on December 16, 2008, 09:14:33 PM

Indeed.

:lol:

See?

This is great.  Political correctness is AWESOME!

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cramulus on December 15, 2008, 08:16:02 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on December 15, 2008, 08:02:00 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 15, 2008, 05:40:14 PM
Actually, the reason we don't have a "Lollercaust" is because we haven't written anything independently funny.  Most of the funny resides in knowing who we are, and how we interact.

and puns.

disagree: we have much LAIL contained here: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=15295.msg484962#msg484962 and here: http://www.blackironprison.com/index.php?title=Lollercaust
it's just that nobody's arranged it into a distributable document yet

I think I've voiced agreement with LMNO a while ago.

While the content you linked to is interesting and worthwhile reading, it isn't especially sidesplitting or humorous in the way the title "Lollercaust" would set you up to expect. Combined with that title, I find the writing a let down. If it were better contextualized I'd find it much more satisfying.

As it stands, I don't think we have much if any "Lollercaust" material. What we're calling Lollercaust is more a mishmash of oddball writing that is more thought provoking than comedic in its thrust.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Verbal Mike

I feel like I dropped the ball. I was working on a new edition of the BIP pamphlet in the summer, but then a load of shit made me insanely busy and I'm still riding on that same wave of stuff... I did intend to pick up where I left off once I have a little less to do (specifically, once I'm done with a kind of editing job I'm doing for the NGO I'm involved in, which will be a in a couple of months probably) - but it's more awesome with all you guys doing stuff and rethinking the pamphlet's structure and whatnot.
I would love to say I'll get involved soon but frankly there's little chance of me reading through this thread before the new year, even with the measly six pages it has so far... By the time I get to it... Meh.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry about dropping the ball. I wish I were more involved in these projects but I have IRL engagements which are currently more pressing to me. I don't need any comment on this, just couldn't sit silently by. :)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

fomenter

Quote from: Net on December 16, 2008, 10:48:30 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on December 15, 2008, 08:16:02 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on December 15, 2008, 08:02:00 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 15, 2008, 05:40:14 PM
Actually, the reason we don't have a "Lollercaust" is because we haven't written anything independently funny.  Most of the funny resides in knowing who we are, and how we interact.

and puns.

disagree: we have much LAIL contained here: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=15295.msg484962#msg484962 and here: http://www.blackironprison.com/index.php?title=Lollercaust
it's just that nobody's arranged it into a distributable document yet

I think I've voiced agreement with LMNO a while ago.

While the content you linked to is interesting and worthwhile reading, it isn't especially sidesplitting or humorous in the way the title "Lollercaust" would set you up to expect. Combined with that title, I find the writing a let down. If it were better contextualized I'd find it much more satisfying.

As it stands, I don't think we have much if any "Lollercaust" material. What we're calling Lollercaust is more a mishmash of oddball writing that is more thought provoking than comedic in its thrust.

if you want to get lollercaust to really take off you need to do what all comedy writers have done though out the ages -  steal remorselessly from existing material and tweak it to your own ends to make it relevant and discordian. 

i would suggest  a  thread called steal this joke where we post good jokes we have heard and then mess around with tweaking them "or stealing outright" and see what happens or if any good lollercaust material results.
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Cain

Because I want to help, and time is brief

http://uploading.com/files/DB8ID8SL/ComedWrit.rar.html

Think you're funny? Writing successful comedy isn't just about having a gift for gags; you need to hone your talent and polish your humour to earn a living from making people laugh. If you want to write stand-up comedy, sketches, sitcoms or even a comic novel or film, How to be a Comedy Writer tells you all you need to know and more about the business, the structure of jokes and the nuts and bolts of a craft that can be learnt. Comedy guru Marc Blake has written for Spitting Image, Frankie Howerd and Craig Charles, and had his own TV show and BBC Radio 4 series Whining for England. The author of several humour books and comic novels including the bestselling Sunstroke, he has taught comedy writing across the UK for ten years.

It may not be very useful, but its a framework you can build from.

Also http://www.uploading.com/files/LBWYI71F/ComBibl.rar.html

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on December 16, 2008, 09:22:17 PM
Quote from: The Borderline Simpleton on December 16, 2008, 09:14:33 PM

Indeed.

:lol:

See?

This is great.  Political correctness is AWESOME!

Everything is going according to plan.  I don't even have to comment anymore!

Cramulus

Anyway, back on topic:

Ratatosk volunteered to edit a GSP booklet
and GA volunteered to edit a BIP booklet

I'd suggest that you two should go forward with it - make the book into what you think it should be. Conference with us ITT, but don't wait for "approval" to go forward.

rewriting Discordian lit is akin to a Jedi building his own lightsaber.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Cramulus on December 17, 2008, 03:35:43 PM

rewriting Discordian lit is akin to a Jedi building his own lightsaber.

Appropriate metaphor, Cram. In the case of the GSP and the BIP, there's even a "light" side and a "dark" side, too.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I personally would like to stay away from "light vs dark" because I'm concerned it will reinforce the assumption that the BiP is Negative. Personally, I'd like the GSP to focus on the "possibilities" of looking at how we perceive our world. A Prison might be a great metaphor sometimes, Shrapnel sometimes, Ruts and Peaks and Slopes sometimes, Golden Spheres sometimes... and all of them might be useful to look at... all of them might usefully model some aspects of your life... Sometimes we're trapped by our decision, like in a prison, sometimes people have a lasting effect on us like Shrapnel, sometimes we're stuck in a Rut, sometimes we have a modicum of control and get to go explore.

If we play this Light vs Dark, I think we create an unnecessary Either/OR rather than an AND.

Thoughts?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson