News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

DIY biohacking

Started by Cain, January 01, 2009, 04:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

God I love living inside a Warren Ellis comic:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081225/ap_on_sc/do_it_yourself_dna

QuoteMany of these amateurs may have studied biology in college but have no advanced degrees and are not earning a living in the biotechnology field. Some proudly call themselves "biohackers" — innovators who push technological boundaries and put the spread of knowledge before profits.

In Cambridge, Mass., a group called DIYbio is setting up a community lab where the public could use chemicals and lab equipment, including a used freezer, scored for free off Craigslist, that drops to 80 degrees below zero, the temperature needed to keep many kinds of bacteria alive.

Co-founder Mackenzie Cowell, a 24-year-old who majored in biology in college, said amateurs will probably pursue serious work such as new vaccines and super-efficient biofuels, but they might also try, for example, to use squid genes to create tattoos that glow.

Also, http://diybio.org/

Bu🤠ns

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

After reading a bit more.....okay, I'm an entomologist. A lot of work in entomology is systematics based. The DNA barcoding projects are coming on hard and fast, but they are not the be all and end all of entomology. Nor is chemical analysis. A large portion of entomology is physical and not chemical based. Collecting specimens, conducting surveys, basic diagnostic analysis and the writing of keys is important work. My research has some chemical aspect but its largely morphological, and I don't think people should all jump on the bandwagon and discount all the good things they can figure out with physical methods alone. It kinda pisses me off. Basic entomology is GOOD SCIENCE, and useful, and interesting. Feels like these people shoot it down, like, who would ever do that old fashioned stuff when  I can look all awesome with test tubes? Amateur work is an important part of all scientific disciplines, and the opening up of a new aspect is good, but you shouldn't discount the rest in the process. I really doubt they will make any significant discoveries very soon however, because it requires years of steady observation to become good at any science.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Kai, don't forget that a handful of these "amateurs" devote their entire lives to this, but because of a lack of formal training they have no credibility. They're unpublishable. Those people are often ones who really do advance their science, and projects like this help give them access to equipment and a voice.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on January 02, 2009, 07:53:23 AM
Kai, don't forget that a handful of these "amateurs" devote their entire lives to this, but because of a lack of formal training they have no credibility. They're unpublishable. Those people are often ones who really do advance their science, and projects like this help give them access to equipment and a voice.

You can get published without formal training. Sure, you have to format your results et al in a way that is publishable, but otherwise they don't put "Dr." in front of the names in journal articles. Everybody is equal. If the research is good and the format is right they'll take it from anyone. Its HARDER because they may have not learned scientific writing, but otherwise it is not impossible or improbable.

What I'm saying is that non-acedemics and non Phd's do good science all the time, and they have the possibility of publishing in the same manner, I just don't think its going to be soon for any big amateur discoveries in biochemistry because these biohackers are more or less just starting out with these, and it takes years of practice to get good at it, and years of observation to be observant enough of their subject matter to notice things that no one has noticed before. Yes, it is possible, it will happen, no it will not happen right away.

Cain

I predict that within 15 years, biohackers will be to society as Neo in the Matrix was to real hackers.

By then we'll be nanohacking, anyway.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

15 years is the blink of an eye.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."