News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

WTF is Nigel eating

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, January 01, 2009, 10:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

looks raw, what's not to like?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Squid on June 12, 2009, 07:07:23 AM
looks raw, what's not to like?

Exactly.

It's important to consider the tastes of our avian friends, as you never know when owls might drop by for breakfast.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: I love the one in the back, who appears to be laughing.

Sir Squid Diddimus

that gif kills me every time i see it.

i can just hear that one eating the...dog(?) going "geilp!gulp!glorp!"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Currently I am eating leftovers from the pork roast I made for Space Cowboy Sunday night. This particular pork roast recipe is kind of my Magnum Opus of pork dishes.

I started with a 2.5 lb loin roast. Usually I go for the shoulder, but the loin looked excellent so I chose that instead. I preheated the oven to 450 and put some sprigs of thyme and sage in the bottom of a small oval roasting pan. I peppered the roast, wrapped it in bacon and put it in the pan, and poured about a quarter cup of whiskey over it. I then filled the pan with chunks of potato, turnip, carrot, yellow and white sweet potato, small red onions, and garlic cloves, and covered it with a tight-fitting lid. I put it in the oven and turned the heat down to 300 and roasted it for about two hours, give or take, occasionally basting the vegetables.

After it was in the oven I prepped some asparagus and mushrooms in a mild olive oil, soy sauce and garlic marinade. When the roast came out of the oven, I started a roux in a small pan for the gravy, and heated up a cast-iron skillet for searing the asparagus and mushrooms, asparagus first. While the asparagus was searing and the roux was browning I siphoned all the drippings from the roast pan with my baster and put them in a bowl. I removed the asparagus from the skillet, put the mushrooms in, turned off the burner, and covered the skillet. Then I cracked open a Miller High Life and poured half of it into the roux, handed the other half to Space Cowboy, and added the drippings while whisking gently. As soon as the gravy came to a boil, I turned off the heat, and carved the roast.

I served it with a thick slice of roast in the middle of the plate, gravy drizzled over the meat and roast veggies, with the mushrooms and asparagus on top.

Space Cowboy was impressed. :)

Jenne

Beer and whiskey instead of wine, huh?  I NEED to try that.  IN FACT:  I need more whiskey-in-the-cooking recipes, if anyone has them.

This sounds delish, Nigel.  Wish I had all that, but I don't.  Have the roast and onions, that's it.  Oh, and the herbs.  Will have to get the veggies and bacon. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenne on November 04, 2009, 07:15:28 PM
Beer and whiskey instead of wine, huh?  I NEED to try that.  IN FACT:  I need more whiskey-in-the-cooking recipes, if anyone has them.

This sounds delish, Nigel.  Wish I had all that, but I don't.  Have the roast and onions, that's it.  Oh, and the herbs.  Will have to get the veggies and bacon. 

DOOO EEEET

And post pics, because I forgot.

Whiskey and pork are a marriage made in heaven, and also whiskey is fabulous instead of wine in spaghetti sauces. Also in cake.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend beer gravy with pretty much every meat. Cheap beer like Miller, stay away from the IPA types unless you're going for a strong, this sauce that will be used sparingly.

Jenne

Ok, good points!  :D

Never did a beer gravy, either!  Sounds like good times, though.

Triple Zero

beer gravy works excellent. also good to soak sausages in before cooking.

don't do it too often though, the flavour is stronger than you think and it bores if you taste it in every sauce :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Chief Uwachiquen

:x All of this sounds so fucking good. I'm gonna have to post up some of my favorite recipes here. Dammit, now I have to go find something to eat because reading all that made me hungreh.  :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm not technically actually EATING it right now, but I just canned 12 jars of green chili and am working on the second batch. It's fuck of spicy, and now my fingers are very spicy too, despite great handwashing, which I confirmed accidentally by rubbing my eye.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Nigel on November 08, 2009, 11:42:38 PM
I'm not technically actually EATING it right now, but I just canned 12 jars of green chili and am working on the second batch. It's fuck of spicy, and now my fingers are very spicy too, despite great handwashing, which I confirmed accidentally by rubbing my eye.

:x

I should get some jars for storing my delicious spicy things... I love making stuff like chili and salsas (salsas especially; I love experimenting with them).