News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

Some Neat Plants

Started by Nast, January 07, 2009, 06:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nast

Monotropa uniflora

Known as Indian pipe, ghost plant, or corpse plant, Monotropa uniflora a species of flowering plant that lacks chlorophyll, and because of this, is pale white in color. Because it itself cannot photosynthesize, it takes its nutrients from mycorrhyzal fungi (fungi that live amongst the roots of plants) that in turn have a symbiotic relationship with a photosynthesizing tree. The tree photosynthesizes sugars in its leaves, which are carried to the roots. The mycorrhyzal fungi leaches of these sugars from the tree roots, in exchange for ferrying nutrients and minerals to the tree. Monotropa uniflora then takes some of the sugars from the mycorrhyzal fungus. This processes of indirectly obtaining nutrients is called myco-heterotrophy and is also employed by some orchids (in some species only during specific stages of their life-cycle), a liverwort called Cryptothallus, and some ferns and clubmosses (during specific stages their life-cycle).

Gnetophyta

Gnetophytes are a division of woody seed-bearing plants. Gnetophytes share a trait common with flowering plants in that they possess similar types of cells in their water conducting tissues.

The species Welwitschia mirablis, native to the deserts of Namibia and Angola only produce two leaves in its extremely long life span, which is generally thought to be 1000 or greater. Over time the two leaves split and tatter, giving it a rather ratty appearance. In adaptation to its arid climate, it can also absorb water in the form of dew through special structures on its leaves.

Utricularia

Bladderworts are a genus of carnivorous plants that live in aquatic environments or wet soil. They possess extremely sophisticated trapping mechanisms, in the form of vacuum-driven bladders that they use to trap and consume tiny prey. The bladders set themselves for use by pumping out water. This causes their walls to collapse because of the vacuum created. Attached to the mouth of the bladder are tiny trigger hairs. If prey bends one if these hairs, the seal is broken and the vacuum sucks the unfortuanate create inside to be digested. The mechanism is similar to an eyedropper.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Kai

YES! Blatterworts are fucking awesome. The trigger of the trap door is supposed to be one of the fastest things in nature.

Keep this coming.

Also, read about Cordyceps sinesis, a fungus that grows from the body of only one particular species of caterpillar. http://herbarium.usu.edu/fungi/FunFacts/Caterpillar.htm

It is unfortunately going extinct from overharvesting for stupid Chinese "medicine".
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish