News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Hard to believe a giant, pink lizard could be overlooked

Started by the last yatto, January 08, 2009, 09:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cain

Quote"To discover a large vertebrate that was unknown in an area where there has been a lot of research is very special," Marquez told The Associated Press by telephone from the park.

Yeah, I'd call it "special" too.  :lol:

indifferent betty

Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2009, 11:10:42 AM
Quote"To discover a large vertebrate that was unknown in an area where there has been a lot of research is very special," Marquez told The Associated Press by telephone from the park.

i'd call it research done by lazy stoners far away from civilization.

RESEARCHER1; "fuck me, is that, lyk, a giant pink lizard?"
RESEARCHER2; "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude!! This heathen weed is aweeeeeeeeeeesome!"
-----------------
-I don't need intelligent drugs Tom, because I don't know what they are.

Kai

I'd put it it in the "this shit happens more often than you think" category.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Richter

They thought the Ivory Billed Woodpecker was extinct too.  It was jsut camped out in a swamp.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Kai

Quote from: Richter on January 08, 2009, 01:25:22 PM
They thought the Ivory Billed Woodpecker was extinct too.  It was jsut camped out in a swamp.

I'm still not sure on that one. You've got some people that believe it, and some people who call it a total hoax, and both groups have been searching for years.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Cain

Quote from: Kai on January 08, 2009, 01:17:23 PM

I'd put it it in the "this shit happens more often than you think" category.

I'm sure it does.

However, I'm still going to make fun of them for it.

Kai

Honestly, its species like the ones in this thread that make cryptozoology a valid scientific endevour.

Cain

Next week it will turn out that the Mokele-mbembe is in fact living in a flat in Kinshasa, holding down a job as a traffic warden.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2009, 01:38:31 PM
Next week it will turn out that the Mokele-mbembe is in fact living in a flat in Kinshasa, holding down a job as a traffic warden.

:lulz:

On the other hand, there ARE giant squid and colossal squid and Coelacanths.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Not that it applies in this case, but one of my favorite zoology phenomena is where a native group will insist an animal exists, and zoologists are all "Nuh-uh!"

...and it goes on like this for a couple of hundred years, until a zoologist actually goes and looks where the natives said to look, and is all "Holy shit, this legendary creature actually exists!"

No fuck, dipwad.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Primrose on January 08, 2009, 01:55:56 PM
Not that it applies in this case, but one of my favorite zoology phenomena is where a native group will insist an animal exists, and zoologists are all "Nuh-uh!"

...and it goes on like this for a couple of hundred years, until a zoologist actually goes and looks where the natives said to look, and is all "Holy shit, this legendary creature actually exists!"

No fuck, dipwad.

Honestly, that sort of thing happens less and less.

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on January 08, 2009, 01:42:02 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2009, 01:38:31 PM

:lulz:

On the other hand, there ARE giant squid and colossal squid and Coelacanths.

I saw a Coelacanth at a museum over thanksgiving.  Holy fuck, those things are scary.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on January 08, 2009, 02:13:26 PM

No fuck, dipwad.

It would have to, given how few "primitive" human populations are left.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on January 08, 2009, 02:13:26 PM

No fuck, dipwad.

It's true... after you get hit in the head by a bar stool enough times, you figure out that it might be a good idea to go look just in case...

;-)

EDIT: Also:

QuotePark rangers ignored the pink and black-striped reptiles after accidentally happening upon them in 1986. Some thought the stripes were just stains.

User Created Reality ITT!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson