News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Experimental statistics...

Started by Kai, January 08, 2009, 05:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

...is going to suck as much now as it did the first time 5 years ago.

Discuss.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Harlequin

Have you got a supporting model for your hypothesis?
After all, wasn't it Oscar Wilde who was arrested for sodomy? Sorry, I'm not quite sure why I said that...

AFK

What does the trendline suggest? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Fuquad

The numbers show a strong trend towards that response.
THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Kai

Right now I want to kick the whole damn grad school thing in the balls, but thats what the burnout did to me. Burn out last semester, and I've only recovered in bits and pieces since then.

Whole fucking thing overwhelms me. Might as well have a pity party about it and let everyone know how fucking emo I am.

Telarus

I fee; you Kai. that's why I took this last term off (PROTIP: don't go more than 90 days not enrolled). Getting back into it this week with a Lit class, a scultping course, and a digital sculpting 'hard surfaces' course (I'm pretty sure they mean architecture and machinery).

I may hit you up for basic insect physiology when I get to the 'organic surfaces' digital modeling.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

aaaaaah fucking Statistics!  :argh!:

I feel your pain there. I suck at math, bad, but had to take a lot of stats to compete in Experimental Psych. I hated every decimal of it. I'LL GIVE YOU THE FUCKING P VALUE.

Kai

Quote from: Telarus on January 08, 2009, 08:24:00 PM
I fee; you Kai. that's why I took this last term off (PROTIP: don't go more than 90 days not enrolled). Getting back into it this week with a Lit class, a scultping course, and a digital sculpting 'hard surfaces' course (I'm pretty sure they mean architecture and machinery).

I may hit you up for basic insect physiology when I get to the 'organic surfaces' digital modeling.

Can't do it. I have no way to live outside of food service without this degree, and I have no way to live without the loans I'm getting for housing.

Cain

I absolutely despised stats when I did psych.

If you want, I have an e-book copy of All the Maths You Missed, But Need to Know for Grad School.  It contains some more advanced mathematical ideas, such as Fourier Analysis (well, advanced for me, you might know this), but if you think it could help, give me a shout out.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2009, 09:18:26 PM
I absolutely despised stats when I did psych.

If you want, I have an e-book copy of All the Maths You Missed, But Need to Know for Grad School.  It contains some more advanced mathematical ideas, such as Fourier Analysis (well, advanced for me, you might know this), but if you think it could help, give me a shout out.

Thanks Cain. I don't think this is going to be HARD persay, but rather, its gonna be a repeat of all the shit I had 5 years ago and forgot, which sucks. my research doesn't really deal with statistical analysis thank fuck, the only stats needed will be cladistics based.

we're also not doing any survey design in this class (also thank fuck).

Cain

Ah, yeah.  Understandable, its always annoying doing something you don't like for the second time.  Especially when it has little relevance.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2009, 09:30:04 PM
Ah, yeah.  Understandable, its always annoying doing something you don't like for the second time.  Especially when it has little relevance.

Experimental statistics has little relevance?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

Quote from: Net on January 08, 2009, 10:52:35 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2009, 09:30:04 PM

Experimental statistics has little relevance?

Relatively speaking.

Obviously slightly more important for other topics, not so much for studying insects.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

It was my impression that it's crucially important to making experimental data scientifically useful, regardless of the field.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A