News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Law of Fives Help?

Started by hooplala, January 23, 2009, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Telarus

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 23, 2009, 08:38:29 PM
Quote from: YattoDobbs on January 23, 2009, 08:22:31 PM
15 is the exception to the Law of Fives

There is no exception to the law of fives...

15=1x5=5

Also, Telarus, that was a beautiful summation.

Thanks everybody. Also, 15 is the first five after ten.

It's Five after TEN? I'm late, I'm late... *exits stage left*
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Reverend Smeg the Kilted on January 10, 2009, 08:53:07 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on January 10, 2009, 12:16:35 AM
$6.38 each??
Needs to be Law-of-Five'd.

Pfft. Too easy.

6+3+8=17

(6/3=2)+8=10 (first multiple)

6/8=.75, 7+5+3=15, divided by the 3 (number of digits in the final sequence) = 5

6/.38=15.789473684210526315(repeat) Add those together = 80, divided by 15.789473684210526315 = 5.06666666666666666692 all numbers after decimal added = 119, divided by the 5 in front of the decimal = 23.8.

This is of course a sign that Lulu, and possibly me, are tools of the Illuminati/Chaney/HomelandSecurity(tm)/Starbucks/David Icke, and will hunt down anyone buying this book.

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

:mittens:

That was a great post, Telarus, very insightful and well written.

I'm curious if you could point me in the right direction regarding research on the following:

Quote from: Telarus on January 23, 2009, 07:18:59 PM

....Laughter is what the brain uses to integrate new information when the abstract/rational processes have failed.

It seems reasonable and also very testable, so my science sensors went off suggesting there is something I could potentially examine and cite in the future.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Telarus

Yes, I specifically picked that tid-bit up from a study about the differences in perception that Eastern vs Western cultures program into an individual.

Let me hunt for it.....

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=00087E7F-7EC8-130A-8AB283414B7F4945

There's an article about the study, but it doesn't mention the work they did with optical illusions (which is where I picked up the Laughter bit of info).

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/vol309/issue5740/r-samples.shtml

I'm pretty sure that's the article I read.. don't have a log-in for Science Magazine at the moment, tho.....let's see if I can't dig up a better cite.
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Cramulus

Quote from: Telarus on March 17, 2009, 02:17:45 PM
Yes, I specifically picked that tid-bit up from a study about the differences in perception that Eastern vs Western cultures program into an individual.

Let me hunt for it.....

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=00087E7F-7EC8-130A-8AB283414B7F4945

verrry interesting, but I think they made a leap in their conclusion. They posit that easterners pay more attention than westerners to background details because they come from a culture with more rigid social roles. Seems kind of tenuous to me.

Very interesting though

Telarus

Ok, still can't find the original article I read (which combined talking about the above east/west perception split with a study on optical illusions and the effects of laughter on 'binocular rivalry phenomenon'), but here's an article about the 2nd topic. The tests used simple black and white optical illusions and various ways to interrupt the left/right hemisphere-based perception process.

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/comm/steen/cogweb/Abstracts/Pettigrew_01.html

QuotePettigrew, a neurobiologist at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia, came up with a different theory: it is not just clusters of neurons that compete in binocular rivalry, but the left and right hemispheres of the cerebral cortex. To test this ambitious hypothesis, Pettigrew, Steven M. Miller and their colleagues measured how long volunteers dwelled on each possible perception of either a Necker cube or a bars-and-stripes stereoscopic display. Their plan was to fiddle with one hemisphere to see how that affected what the subjects saw.

There are several ways to do this. Ice-cold water dribbled against one eardrum causes vertigo and makes the eyes sway woozily. After the vertigo passes, however, the half of the brain opposite the chilled ear practically hums with activity. Conversely, zapping the parietal lobe on one side of the brain with a highly focused, one-tesla magnetic field temporarily interrupts much of the neural activity in just that hemisphere.

And among all the 20 volunteers tested, a good belly laugh either obliterated the binocular rivalry phenomenon altogether--so that subjects saw a crosshatch of both bars and stripes--or significantly reduced whatever natural bias the individuals showed toward one of the two forms, for up to half an hour.

The result seems to support, though hardly prove, Pettigrew's theory that when the brain is faced with conflicting or ambiguous scenes, the left hemisphere constructs one interpretation, the right hemisphere forms another, and an "interhemispheric switch" waffles between the two. Laughter, he speculates, either short-circuits the switch or toggles it so fast that we see both interpretations at once. "It rebalances the brain," Pettigrew says, "and literally creates a new state of mind."
Telarus, KSC,

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Telarus on March 17, 2009, 02:41:46 PM
Ok, still can't find the original article I read (which combined talking about the above east/west perception split with a study on optical illusions and the effects of laughter on 'binocular rivalry phenomenon'), but here's an article about the 2nd topic. The tests used simple black and white optical illusions and various ways to interrupt the left/right hemisphere-based perception process.

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/comm/steen/cogweb/Abstracts/Pettigrew_01.html

QuotePettigrew, a neurobiologist at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia, came up with a different theory: it is not just clusters of neurons that compete in binocular rivalry, but the left and right hemispheres of the cerebral cortex. To test this ambitious hypothesis, Pettigrew, Steven M. Miller and their colleagues measured how long volunteers dwelled on each possible perception of either a Necker cube or a bars-and-stripes stereoscopic display. Their plan was to fiddle with one hemisphere to see how that affected what the subjects saw.

There are several ways to do this. Ice-cold water dribbled against one eardrum causes vertigo and makes the eyes sway woozily. After the vertigo passes, however, the half of the brain opposite the chilled ear practically hums with activity. Conversely, zapping the parietal lobe on one side of the brain with a highly focused, one-tesla magnetic field temporarily interrupts much of the neural activity in just that hemisphere.

And among all the 20 volunteers tested, a good belly laugh either obliterated the binocular rivalry phenomenon altogether--so that subjects saw a crosshatch of both bars and stripes--or significantly reduced whatever natural bias the individuals showed toward one of the two forms, for up to half an hour.

The result seems to support, though hardly prove, Pettigrew's theory that when the brain is faced with conflicting or ambiguous scenes, the left hemisphere constructs one interpretation, the right hemisphere forms another, and an "interhemispheric switch" waffles between the two. Laughter, he speculates, either short-circuits the switch or toggles it so fast that we see both interpretations at once. "It rebalances the brain," Pettigrew says, "and literally creates a new state of mind."

Oh yeah, I remember reading that awhile back. It reminded me of Pete Carroll's view that when a new connection was made in the neurological system, laughter was a result. I don't know how much, if any, scientific evidence Pete was basing that on, but I have noticed that getting a surprising new piece of information often does seem to be accompanied by a laugh. I also remember Bob always used to claim that the euphoria/laughter that accompanied getting stoned was a very important aspect to its medicinal value. The THC pills which only act as a pain killer/appetite enhancer didn't seem to work as well for him.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

If you consider that one of the supposed principles of comedy is the unexpected, this isn't that difficult to fathom.

Alethias

This post has 5 paragraphs after the quote, and and was posted on January 23.  Thank you, Telarus.
Quote from: Telarus on January 23, 2009, 07:18:59 PM...<snip>...

Iron Sulfide

a small example from the pentaparf i picked up somewhere:

it took Zarathud 10 weeks and 11 days (or something- it's 10 and 11) to decode the tablet.

in binary, that's a '2' and a '3', respectively.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,

Iron Sulfide

i prefer the obscure, simple ones if i'm even going to bother. I have a friend, though, that LOLs everytime, because it's everything everywhere.

5 is also the 5th positive integer from the fibonacci sequence ([0], 1, 1, 2, 3, 5)

Also, 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon has five editions. that HAS to mean SOMETHING, right?
Ya' stupid Yank.

Fractalbeard

To make a grid for 3-dimensions, we can stack a bunch of cubes side to side and up and down. This works decently for a few reasons, but among those reasons is that you can stack them without leaving any space between them.

Interestingly enough, if you take dodecahedrons (12-sided shapes where each side is a pentagon), you can also stack them without leaving any space between them in 3-d, and there are some articles that I've come across (I haven't read them) where they're trying to do some kind of funky theoretical physics with these particular models of the universe.

Obscure? Probably. Simple? Maybe not though  :x
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Telarus

Bleeding into Bucky Fuller's work there Rurouzaru.

"Synergy is the only word in our language that means behavior of whole systems unpredicted by the separately observed behaviors of any of the system's separate parts or any subassembly of the system's parts. There is nothing in the chemistry of a toenail that predicts the existence of a human being."
Telarus, KSC,