News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

I JUST BOUGHT 10 LBS OF BEEF

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 04, 2009, 10:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It was on sale for $1.89/lb. Top round, not tender but tasty, and I cut it up into approximately 1/2 lb portions for freezing.

I'm going to be cooking with a lot of beef for the next two weeks!

Tonight I'm making beef barley stew. Suggestions for the rest of the meat are welcome!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Seaman Toad

Burritos.  Cut the meat into small, enjoyable pieces and stir-fry.  Before finishing the meat season it with a bit of chile powder.  Heat burrito shell (so it's malleable, I put it between two damp paper towels in the microwave for a minute), then fill with cooked rice, shredded cheese, refried beans, bacon and whatever the fuck else you want to have in there.  Onions, fried onions, peppers, fried peppers, garbanzo beans, fried garbanzo beans... really whatever you want.  Fold the burrito correctly and bake it in the oven until it's crisp. 

Serve with salsa and sour cream.

LMNO

Check my thread.  There's a few stews that use beef, and that would work pretty well.

I'm thinking Grillade.

Have fun!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mmmmm, grillade!

The kids like burritos, but not beef burritos. *I* like beef burritos though!

I may also make chili.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Wind rider

If you have some beef stock, casserole, onions and root vegetables, if you cook it for about 2hrs the meat'll be really tender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Pot roast style? That's a good idea.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

For the stew that's simmering now, I sauteed some chopped onion in olive oil, threw in a pound of cubed beef, browned it lightly, then added water to cover it, and chopped celery, kale, garlic, parsley, tomato, salt, thyme, oregano, rosemary, sage, & pepper. It's been on since about one, and at five I'll add a couple carrots, potatoes, and some barley.

It's pretty basic, and the kids will probably eat it.

East Coast Hustle

top round makes really nice picadillo.

also, if you braise it beforehand and then drain it and allow it to cool, you can use it to make faux wellingtons.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sweet! :D At this rate, I'm going to have recipe ideas for all 10 pounds and have to go buy more.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I got this from my gay puerto rican friend's momma.
It's some kinda beef stew, very hearty, flavorful, filling, etc...

Ingreeds:
stew meat
3 or 4 potatoes diced in good sized chunks
green olives whole
can of pimiento chopped
about 2 or 3 carrots chunked or a couple big handfuls of baby carrots
3 cloves minced garlic
1 short can tomato sauce
1 C water
1 C white wine
3 bay leaves
adobo&sazon (i use 1tb of adobo and 2 packets of sazon)
2 chicken bullion cubes
1 tb brown sugar
olive oil

Method:
Coat meat with adobo
Heat oil in dutch oven, melt the sugar in it and add the meat. Brown.
Deglaze with wine and reduce. Add water, tomato sauce, sazon, adobo, bay leaves and all veg except about 2 of the potatoes. (they disintegrate and the starch will make it too thick)
Cook covered but vented for 20 min then add the rest of the taters.
Simmer on low, covered and vented for another 30-45 min.
(meat should fall apart and potatoes should be squishy)

Serve with a side of rice and pigeon peas.

LMNO

That sounds like it would get kind of sweet.

I mean sugar, carrots, and tomatoes?  That's a little over the top in my book.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sounds amazing!

I wish my younger kids would eat spicy food, I want to make green chili.

bob-o

if you're a lazy fuck like me, make a philly cheese steak. or a philly cheese wrap... i like to roll it in a tortilla...

sliced dead cow
cut up onion
cheese (i like pepper jack)
bread or tortilla

cook the onion on a griddle until almost translucent, then add beef. when the whole pile is sufficiently cooked, pile it up and put some slices of cheese on top and wait for it to melt... stir it up a bit with a spatula until the cheese is melted. put it into the bread of your choice, salt, pepper, and eat.
"the use of fasteners is to be next to godliness" - R.H.Howes

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm one of those freaks who doesn't care for cheese steaks.