News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Growing neurons on a computer chip

Started by Iason Ouabache, February 05, 2009, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7867724.stm

Researchers have moved closer to making silicon chips which could one day be used to repair damaged tissue in the human body.

Edinburgh University has developed a technique, which allows neurons to grow in fine, detailed patterns on the surface of tiny computer chips.

Neurons are the basic cells of the human nervous system.

The scientists said the development may eventually enable chips to replace damaged nerve or muscle fibres.

They also said the development could possibly be used in the development of prosthetics in the future.

During the chip manufacturing process, the scientists printed patterns on the smooth silicon surface.

The chip was then dipped in a patented mixture of proteins, and neurons grew along the patterns on the surface.

The technique also works with stem cells.

It is hoped the method will eventually enable any type of tissue to be grown on a tailor-made pathway and implanted as prosthetic tissue in the body.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Raphaella

This is FUCKING SWEET! It is indeed exciting times we live in.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Kai

See, THIS is the way you do it. None of that messy computer to brain interface. Neurons work so damn well in their system, why not use neurons? You can CHOOSE the pathways they take, so you can potentially make them do all sorts of things, even, heh, emulate a computer environment. At the same time, you'll still be working within the medium.

I'm not a transhumanist, I actually despise transhumanism, but DAMN, this is pretty cool.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Iason Ouabache

Dr. Steven Novella had an excellent post about this on Neurologica:

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=472

This technology is at an obviously early stage. It is similar to the time when physicists and engineers were making basic discoveries about electricity and how to control it. Each new discovery, about capacitors, circuits, resistance, etc., added one more piece to the puzzle. At the time I don't think anyone could have seen how controlling electrical circuits would soon transform civilization.

I see the same thing happening with the technology to interface computers and biology - we are making baby-step advances in this technology, which are by themselves not that impressive, but I think we can see where this is headed.

If we extrapolate into the future, when all the pieces are in place, we will have incredible control over biological tissue and be able to combine that with increasingly sophisticated, small, and powerful computers. Researchers like speculating about possible applications. One obvious application is the repair of damaged nerves and spinal cords.  We could theoretically use such an implant to coax neurons to grow and make connections across an area of damage. Or we could reconnect nerves to muscle tissue, or even repair the damaged muscle itself.

When applied to stem cells this technology could lead to the ability to grow custom-designed tissue and organs. We are simultaneously making advances in stem-cell technology - for example researchers have discovered that by altering only four genes they can change an adult-derived cell into a stem cell with all the properties (at least so far investigated) of an embryonic stem cell.

So again if we flash forward, this technology may allow us to take a skin cell from you and then grow you a new liver to replace your failing one.

The other category of applications is in brain-computer interfacing. Getting neurons to grow on a chip means that those neurons can connect to and communicate with your brain cells and also connect to and communicate with a computer chip. Our brains are wonderfully plastic, so it is plausible that they can adapt these new connections to actual function.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

Now, we just have to be careful not to run into Feed territory.

Raphaella

Kai, that looks like a pretty good book. I'll have to get it sometime. Thanks.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on February 05, 2009, 05:58:58 PM

The chip was then dipped in a patented mixture of proteins, and neurons grew along the patterns on the surface.

:cry:

Is there any particular reason to limit the number of researchers working on this with a patent?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Kai

Quote from: GA on February 07, 2009, 02:45:16 AM

Is there any particular reason to limit the number of researchers working on this with a patent?

More of the same bullshit as always.

What, you thought we could have a revolution without someone trying to make a buck?

Honestly, if someone didn't patent it first, another person would and then buy out the first's for patent violation.

Thats how this bullshit work.s

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GA on February 07, 2009, 02:45:16 AM

Moneys.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Quote from: Kai on February 06, 2009, 04:46:27 PM

I will never understand why anyone would consider running closed source code on their brain, for exactly these reasons.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Kai

Quote from: Requiem on February 07, 2009, 07:44:48 PM
Quote from: Kai on February 06, 2009, 04:46:27 PM

I will never understand why anyone would consider running closed source code on their brain, for exactly these reasons.

I read Feed in high school.

I decided right then and there that I would never get this done voluntarily, and they would have to force it on me kicking and screaming.