News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Point of views on the new president of the United States.

Started by Seth_The_Fallen, February 15, 2009, 02:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Seth_The_Fallen on February 25, 2009, 09:50:54 PM
Great news all you obama Navies! He just passed a Volcano watch bill that will spend more the 250mil on some dumb fuck that some how watches the volcano activity in the US.  I hope you DIP SHITS are happy with our new fucking president. I know I am NOT! :argh!: :evilmad:

1. Apparently you haven't been reading this forum.

2. You seem to have access to the Internet. Have you ever considered using it for fact-checking, or do you just believe everything you hear on the radio? The bill that Jindal tried to claim is $140 mil for "volcano monitoring" is actually $140 mil for US Geological Survey. The ACTUAL TEXT of the bill:

QuoteUS Geological Survey

For an additional amount for ''Surveys, Investigations, and Research'', $140,000,000, for repair, construction and restoration of facilities; equipment replacement and upgrades including stream gages, and seismic and volcano monitoring systems; national map activities; and other critical deferred maintenance and improvement projects.

From http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/?&dbname=cp111&sid=cp111c6QGn&refer=&r_n=hr016.111&item=&sel=TOC_166206&

That took me less than two minutes to find. Learn 2 research instead of just parroting.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Enki-][ on February 25, 2009, 10:15:28 PM
Great news all you obama Navies! He just passed a Volcano watch bill that will spend more the 250mil on some dumb fuck that some how watches the volcano activity in the US.  I hope you DIP SHITS are happy with our new fucking president. I know I am NOT! :argh!: :evilmad:

If this is what I'm thinking of, it's actually spending 250G on a beowulf-class supercomputer that reads seizmic readings from laser-based sensors across the world and uses it to predict volcanic eruptions in faster-than-real-time using a twelve-dimensional matrix of values and simple matrix operations. This is a very valid thing to spend money on, since every time a volcano erupts unexpectedly, it is Very Bad.

It really is nice knowing that, you know, you might not want to be all up hiking (or living) on or near a volcano because it's about to erupt. We ridiculous Westerners keep insisting on living near the fucking things, and sometimes basing tourism economies on them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

I think he's a fucking scream.

Besides, if the GOP won the election, they'd just give all the money to Halliburton.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Nigel on February 25, 2009, 10:33:58 PM

If this is what I'm thinking of, it's actually spending 250G on a beowulf-class supercomputer that reads seizmic readings from laser-based sensors across the world and uses it to predict volcanic eruptions in faster-than-real-time using a twelve-dimensional matrix of values and simple matrix operations. This is a very valid thing to spend money on, since every time a volcano erupts unexpectedly, it is Very Bad.

It really is nice knowing that, you know, you might not want to be all up hiking (or living) on or near a volcano because it's about to erupt. We ridiculous Westerners keep insisting on living near the fucking things, and sometimes basing tourism economies on them.

That's actually not unique to westerners. I have a photograph of my father in the 1970s taking a tour of a volcano in Japan with his grandfather (who was about 70 years old at the time).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Vene

This makes me :fap: and I'm not even a geologist or that into computers.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Vene on February 25, 2009, 11:52:09 PM

This makes me :fap: and I'm not even a geologist or that into computers.

Awesome.  It could probably even run Titan Quest without getting all laggy.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Vene

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Enki-][ on February 25, 2009, 11:38:17 PM

That's actually not unique to westerners. I have a photograph of my father in the 1970s taking a tour of a volcano in Japan with his grandfather (who was about 70 years old at the time).

I was using "Westerners" in the sense that we are on the West Coast of the US, where the volcanoes are.

Thurnez Isa

i would not be as worried about the volcanos on the pacific coast.. but there are few bordering Seattle that could do some damage... but as far as I know none of them are bulging right now... though Mt. St. Helens is back on the bulge
What I would be more interested in are huge magma chambers under Wyoming... time those things blew was a million years ago and it the volcanic ash can be traced half way across the US and since its not really a subduction zone it's completely unpredictable. The chances of them blowing though are still slim - sorry Roger

Really the most immediate concern in terms of national disasters and north america would be earthquake proof Seattle and Vancouver. Basically there is a HUGE fault under those cities, that has been locked for as long as they have been measuring. It snaps every couple thousand years (almost impossible to predict when they will snap again). Since they don't blow often the governments react slower in terms of earthquake proofing the cites, unlike California which is just a slip/fault and goes off quite a bit, but not usually above a 9 pointer on the Richter scale... Geologists have been warning the Canadian government for years about Vancouver and have only gotten nothing but promises... If we get on soon, still a little unlikely, basically Vancouver and most Seattle will look like Sumatra did a few years ago, except with more rubble
I think Seattle is starting to put in Isolated foundations and reinforced columns in new buildings-- though don't quote me on that.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Vene

I'm going to repeat was Kai said in the science forum.  It's damn good to have a geologist on the board.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on February 26, 2009, 01:58:47 AM

i would not be as worried about the volcanos on the pacific coast.. but there are few bordering Seattle that could do some damage... but as far as I know none of them are bulging right now... though Mt. St. Helens is back on the bulge
What I would be more interested in are huge magma chambers under Wyoming... time those things blew was a million years ago and it the volcanic ash can be traced half way across the US and since its not really a subduction zone it's completely unpredictable. The chances of them blowing though are still slim - sorry Roger

Really the most immediate concern in terms of national disasters and north america would be earthquake proof Seattle and Vancouver. Basically there is a HUGE fault under those cities, that has been locked for as long as they have been measuring. It snaps every couple thousand years (almost impossible to predict when they will snap again). Since they don't blow often the governments react slower in terms of earthquake proofing the cites, unlike California which is just a slip/fault and goes off quite a bit, but not usually above a 9 pointer on the Richter scale... Geologists have been warning the Canadian government for years about Vancouver and have only gotten nothing but promises... If we get on soon, still a little unlikely, basically Vancouver and most Seattle will look like Sumatra did a few years ago, except with more rubble
I think Seattle is starting to put in Isolated foundations and reinforced columns in new buildings-- though don't quote me on that.

Yeah the earthquake thing is one we all try to ignore.

However, the volcano one is very useful. Also I insist on worrying about the volcanoes near where I live, simply because I live near them and they will certainly be an inconvenience if they pull a Helen. I mean, Adams could fuck up river commerce but good, and Hood would just fuck up everything. Especially my summer camping plans. Plus, the whole ash-cloud things sucks.

Jasper

Thurnez Isa

Ya, like I said, the ones over there could definitely do some damage, cause if they go they're going to probably pull a St. Helens and blow, but I don't think they are bulging right now... though I'm not 100 percent sure. I know some people that would know more on Friday. To be honest I don't think you have a lot to worry about,  but it is nice there seems to be at least some thought in monitoring them. The Japanese spend far more then proposed bill monitoring theirs, though theirs are slightly more active...
but then again I'm obviously not the governor of Louisiana

oh if your interested in the activity of the volcanoes in Washington.. just remember none of them are close to blowing so don't go in your basement and stock can food Y2K style... even Mount saint Helens is only at green alert... which means I was wrong about the bulge... look into that in the morning out of curiosity
http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/cvo/current_updates.php
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

fomenter

how is the bulge in Yellowstone doing? last i heard it was rising at a slow but measurable pace..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Sir Squid Diddimus

Dumbass!
         \