News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Point of views on the new president of the United States.

Started by Seth_The_Fallen, February 15, 2009, 02:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: fomenter on February 26, 2009, 06:08:01 AM
how is the bulge in Yellowstone doing? last i heard it was rising at a slow but measurable pace..

I'm not even going to sweat that, because it's such a huge and unstoppable problem that if it does blow I will have no chance of survival.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on February 26, 2009, 06:03:45 AM
Ya, like I said, the ones over there could definitely do some damage, cause if they go they're going to probably pull a St. Helens and blow, but I don't think they are bulging right now... though I'm not 100 percent sure. I know some people that would know more on Friday. To be honest I don't think you have a lot to worry about,  but it is nice there seems to be at least some thought in monitoring them. The Japanese spend far more then proposed bill monitoring theirs, though theirs are slightly more active...
but then again I'm obviously not the governor of Louisiana

oh if your interested in the activity of the volcanoes in Washington.. just remember none of them are close to blowing so don't go in your basement and stock can food Y2K style... even Mount saint Helens is only at green alert... which means I was wrong about the bulge... look into that in the morning out of curiosity
http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/cvo/current_updates.php

I stock food Y2K style under normal conditions, because I'm half Mormon. It's genetic.

Really, any of these little mountainous bitches could erupt with just a few months of warning, like Helen did. That's the thing about the Geological Survey keeping an eye on them... we at least have some warning, and can evacuate the towns that are actually ON the mountain if it looked like it was going to erupt. I mean, there was a town on St. Helen that I remember from childhood, which is now buried under however many feet of ash.

The whole place was a shambles. It didn't wreak massive damage to half the continent, but it did disrupt Pacific Northwest crops and cleanup was a fucking bitch. Plus it was all dark and shit for a week, and there was grit EVERYWHERE. Grit in my mouth and up my nose for weeks. Having SOME shot at preparation for an event like that, even just having dust masks and a week's worth of groceries made a big difference for us, I think, and it wasn't as bad as it could be if Adams erupted, or if Hood blew in a westerly direction instead of easterly like it did the last time.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

fomenter

Quote from: Felix on February 26, 2009, 06:23:12 AM
how is the bulge in Yellowstone doing? last i heard it was rising at a slow but measurable pace..

I'm not even going to sweat that, because it's such a huge and unstoppable problem that if it does blow I will have no chance of survival.
i am outside of the death circle right now and have a second place just a little bit inside of it, but i don't know how accurate that map is, i also haven't heard any geological reports in a long time saying how fast it is rising or if the rate is increasing, i am curious about the geological reports and figure dumb luck is pretty much the best shot for surviving the blast if it blows
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Felix on February 26, 2009, 06:23:12 AM

That's a little bit how I feel about "The Big One". I mean, should that earthquake happen during my lifetime, it will be horrible and devastating, yet there's little reason to worry about it because I can't do shit to make it not happen, and there's only so much just being prepared can do to help.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Thurnez Isa

I wish i was the governor of Louisiana
Then I could predict through physic Jesus powers the exact time of every natural disasters
:sad:
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Jasper

One could always work really hard at stockpiling ammo, learning to hunt, getting into great shape, et cetera et cetera, but at that point apathy is just such a better deal in terms of cost/benefits.

fomenter

i just watched "into the wild" last night, that kid tried solo survival and starved to death, its not as easy as it seems sitting on your couch day dreaming about what a bad ass survivalist you will be when the shit hits the fan. 
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Jasper

Quote from: fomenter on February 26, 2009, 06:50:11 AM
i just watched "into the wild" last night, that kid tried solo survival and starved to death, its not as easy as it seems sitting on your couch day dreaming about what a bad as survivalist you will be when the shit hits the fan. 

Yeah, that'll be it.  Just me and the wild and... 

:lol:  I'd be dead in a week, tops.

Cain

Obama navies?  Has he set up his own Sea Org already?

AFK

Well, they will have to hire and pay people to update and build the stuff.  So it is creating jobs, AND potentially saving lives.  It's a 2-for.  Also, Redoubt anyone? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Seth_The_Fallen on February 25, 2009, 09:50:54 PM
Great news all you obama Navies! He just passed a Volcano watch bill that will spend more the 250mil on some dumb fuck that some how watches the volcano activity in the US.  I hope you DIP SHITS are happy with our new fucking president. I know I am NOT! :argh!: :evilmad:

why do you keep insisting that we all like Obama?

I just ask because, well, you're utterly and completely wrong and it's beginning to undercut your posts in a way that makes you sound a little bit stupid.

you're not stupid, are you?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Elder Iptuous

i just watched "into the wild" last night, that kid tried solo survival and starved to death, its not as easy as it seems sitting on your couch day dreaming about what a bad ass survivalist you will be when the shit hits the fan. 

So that dumbass had a book of native plants that said whether they were edible or poisonous, and he also had all the fucking time in the world to figure it out before hand, but he didn't flip the page to see that he was sticking some neurotoxin in his body until he was starved nigh unto death?  that movie kid was stupid.

fomenter

no doubt

there were a bunch of options he didn't even consider, he was to busy being high on the Thoreau wilderness experience to do or research common sense survival, alaska has permafrost dig a fucking hole in the ground ahead of time to preserve your meat shit for brains..

i still liked the move   

hmroogp

fomenter

also maybe study up on edible plants before starvation delirium sets in

hmroogp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is very true, but post-apocalyptic urban community survival would be a very different scenario, and require different skills than solo wilderness survival.

The main difference, the one that improves your odds of survival immeasurably, is having shelter. Everything goes to shit here, we still have our houses and beds and blankets. The other one is other people; a group of people is far more likely to survive than an individual alone. Surviving the aftermath of a catastrophic earthquake - or of ANY natural disaster - could, and often does, come down to something as simple as having access to fresh water. Yet, how many people actually have water stored in their houses? Other than in the toilet tank?