News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

The 100 Greatest Books, according to PD.com

Started by Requia ☣, February 28, 2009, 10:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Dimocritus

I would like to second this:
QuoteThus Spoke Zarathustra - Nietzsche

And I would like to propose this:

The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Love

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 28, 2009, 10:26:04 AM

Cannibalism in the Cars - Mark Twain (short story)

Thank you. I dug that...
a gentleman by the name of Buckminster--a poor stick of a vagabond that wasn't any good for company and no account for breakfast. We were glad we got him elected before relief came.

The Bucky Virus lives Rx23 = LOVE, just ask Pynchon

The Johnny

Quote from: Dimo1138 on August 17, 2009, 11:26:12 PM

off with that

rather "Der Wille Zur Macht" (The Will to Power?)

Zarathustra is "pretty" and poetic, but has too many narcicistic ramblings that just show his pathological side

this other book contains more clearly his ideas on everything, im not sure if the "eternal recurrance" is there do, should be somewhere in those 600 pages...
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

this thread seems badass, i should venture out of apple talk and OKM more often
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Kurt Christ

I second Siddhartha and Beyond Good and Evil.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Eater of Clowns

The Road - Cormac McCarthy (when the apocalypse comes, it will look like this)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle (tell me I'm not serious)
Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak (I see no need to disclude children's lit)
Lord of the Rings - Tolkien (there, I said it, so help me if The Chronicles of Narnia were nominated I'm throwing this one out there)
A Contract with God, and Other Tenement Stories - Will Eisner (the first graphic novel)
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Dimocritus

Quote from: JohNyx on August 30, 2009, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: Dimo1138 on August 17, 2009, 11:26:12 PM

off with that

rather "Der Wille Zur Macht" (The Will to Power?)

Zarathustra is "pretty" and poetic, but has too many narcicistic ramblings that just show his pathological side

this other book contains more clearly his ideas on everything, im not sure if the "eternal recurrance" is there do, should be somewhere in those 600 pages...

I thought this was just a large collection of his notes. It didn't seem to be as cohesive as some of his other works (I know, in some cases that doesn't say much). Zarathustra covers eternal recurrence.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 23, 2009, 11:43:16 PM
The Road - Cormac McCarthy (when the apocalypse comes, it will look like this)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle (tell me I'm not serious)
Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak (I see no need to disclude children's lit)
Lord of the Rings - Tolkien (there, I said it, so help me if The Chronicles of Narnia were nominated I'm throwing this one out there)
A Contract with God, and Other Tenement Stories - Will Eisner (the first graphic novel)

I agree with the bold. Although, they're making a live action movie after it, and I doubt it will ever be portrayed the same after it's released.

And, he's right. If friggin' Narnia is being considered, Tolkien should be on here.

Cain

The Will to Power was drafts for a planned book, which had to be shelved due to syphilitic insanity.  Its not as cohesive, but there are many bad edits out there which do not help (as always, Walter Kaufmann's version should be the one to get).

It also has a massive section on metaphysics which was only alluded to in many earlier books.

Kurt Christ

The Will to Power is also notorious for being posthumously selectively edited by Nietzsche's sister to play more to her own anti-semitic ideals than Nietzsche intended.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Cain

Yeah, thats why you need the Kaufmann one.  He used the original manuscript and did the translations (with R.J. Hollingdale, I think) himself, and didn't rely on Frau Nietzsche's antisemetic edit, or Schlect's somewhat more competent, but less grounded in philosophy and Nietzsche's ideas edited verion to try and understand the notes.

The Johnny

As "all over the place" as The Will to Power actually is, i find it to be a very good analysis of diverse stuff(?).

Im not even gonna bother arguing about eternal recurrence appearances cz it would just mean hunting down quotes and pages... but as i recall, it is much dealt with in WTP too...

Any way you slice it, N. theres a lot of things one should ignore (according to my personal experience): when he starts going off into metaphor-narcissistic-fairy-land and the paragraphs he speaks of his stupid nationalism. But then again, who does appreciate or even care what he wrote about political, racial and possibly even aesthetically? Its strenght and value (i think) are his analysis and critiques of morals/metaphysics.

Edit: and im kind of fucked as to know the origin of my version, it only says Anibal Froufe is the translator.

-B.F. Skinner

Dimocritus

Quote from: JohNyx on September 29, 2009, 03:28:09 AM

As "all over the place" as The Will to Power actually is, i find it to be a very good analysis of diverse stuff(?).

Im not even gonna bother arguing about eternal recurrence appearances cz it would just mean hunting down quotes and pages... but as i recall, it is much dealt with in WTP too...

Any way you slice it, N. theres a lot of things one should ignore (according to my personal experience): when he starts going off into metaphor-narcissistic-fairy-land and the paragraphs he speaks of his stupid nationalism. But then again, who does appreciate or even care what he wrote about political, racial and possibly even aesthetically? Its strenght and value (i think) are his analysis and critiques of morals/metaphysics.

Edit: and im kind of fucked as to know the origin of my version, it only says Anibal Froufe is the translator.

I'm glad you brought this up, actually. I have a copy of The Will to Power (Kaufmann) and had pushed it to the back of my reading list due to it being incomplete or unfinished (or whatever), but based on this thread, I had picked it up again. "Book Two," second section, on the origin of Christianity is really interesting.
Poor Nietzsche, syphilitic insanity and then opportunistic relatives. He just wanted to save that horse...

Also, I like how the Kaufmann translation takes every every opportunity to shit all over Schlect's translation in the footnotes.   

Suu

If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans - Ann Coulter
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."