News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

STOP EATING SUSHI

Started by Cain, March 03, 2009, 11:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2009, 01:12:55 PM
Quote from: Dirtytime on March 04, 2009, 02:27:12 AM
I don't think I've ever eaten "suishi" in the first place.

You've never been to Waitrose then.

I actually think its because Japanese (like Chinese and Korean) is transliterated slightly differently in the UK.  For instance, in Korean, the place of training is called a "dojang" if you ask someone from the UK, but a "tojang" according to American speakers.

QuoteHumans are so horrible at handling fisheries. Its easier with terrestrial species because you can more accurratly count population sizes, but with fish its all just a guess, and usually it turns out like western Atlantic cod, or anchovies, or sardines, or in this case, tuna. Over fishing eventually leads to a collapsed fishery. BTW, cod hasn't seen any improvement in the areas where there's now a ban.

That sucks.  I tend to have haddock because I know cod is in a bad way, but no improvement does not sound good...

One of the best managed ocean fisheries (and I with a fisheries degree endorse this) is North Pacific Halibut. Its stable, the catch is reasonable, the fish is DAMN tasty, and it will probably be around for years to come assuming we don't fuck up the oceans in general.

The other way that really helps on the small end is to eat local, whether you live near the ocean or inland. Seasonally, there are some great inland fishes in North America. Walleye for example. Trouts are also good, and catfish. I steer clear of salmon because I'm not into the way the fisheries are being handled. And there's always panfish. You can even eat suckerfish; they're pretty bony but a certain type of batter and deep fry dissolves the bones and makes them quite easy to eat.

I wish whitefish was still abundant in the great lakes. Thats a damn tasty fish.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Jenne on March 04, 2009, 03:43:15 PM
Quote from: Cainad on March 04, 2009, 05:12:18 AM
I was kinda irritated when I saw Chilean Sea Bass on the menu at a wedding I attended.

But then I was REALLY annoyed when dad ordered it, despite the fact that I'd voiced my misgivings about it.

Orange roughy and Chilean sea bass are over here in CA in spades.  I need to look up if they are sold through hatcheries or what.

I don't think orange roughy would be raised in hatcheries, since it takes 30-40 years to mature.

...It just occurred to me how weird it would be to eat a fish that could easily be twice my age or more. They can live almost a century and a half.

Kai

Yeah, not so into that.

Really, blame the Japanese. I'm pretty sure if anyone is responsible for the current overfishing that is going on, its them, especially the big predatory fish.

Unfortunately they don't give a shit. Part of their culture. They're even whaling again now, and calling it "scientific".
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Jenne

Quote from: Kai on March 04, 2009, 06:35:56 PM
Yeah, not so into that.

Really, blame the Japanese. I'm pretty sure if anyone is responsible for the current overfishing that is going on, its them, especially the big predatory fish.

Unfortunately they don't give a shit. Part of their culture. They're even whaling again now, and calling it "scientific".

Get out!  I hadn't heard this!  Ugh. 

Bruno

Farm (pond) raised catfish has got to be one of the ecologically best choices for fish.

Not sure how it would be in sushi though.
Formerly something else...

BADGE OF HONOR

Man, at least now I have an excuse for not eating fish besides "It's totally gross".
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Suu

Quote from: Richter on March 04, 2009, 01:19:24 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2009, 01:12:55 PM
I actually think its because Japanese (like Chinese and Korean) is transliterated slightly differently in the UK.  For instance, in Korean, the place of training is called a "dojang" if you ask someone from the UK, but a "tojang" according to American speakers.

I always was taught "Dojang".  We've got Suu for another opinion, but I'm not sure who else has any Korean here.

Also:  I'm not giving up the tuna.   

Always called it "Dojang".

Also: IN BEFORE SAVE THE SEA KITTENS
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

When I say tuna, I generally don't mean what you get in cans. Albacore and skipjack tuna (the two species most often canned) fisheries are (relatively) sustainable at this point.

The ones I'm talking about are the bigeyes, bluefins, and yellowfin  tunas, which are used primarily for sushi and in other aspects of Japanese cuisine.

Kai

And just to point this out, I think fish are tasty. I LIKE the taste of tuna. I would like to continue being able to eat tuna.

If I'm going to CONTINUE to be able to eat tuna, that means fishing practices and quotas need to change, or I won't be able to eat it, just like I can't get cod anymore.

Rumckle

Quote from: Jenne on March 04, 2009, 06:38:10 PM
Yeah, not so into that.

As far as I remember they never really stopped.

Also, as far as not eating fish goes, what easy options are available for Omega 3 besides fish?
I think I may get some fish oil tablets, maybe.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Jasper

Has anybody watched that tv show about Sea Shepherd?  I liked what I saw.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Rumckle on March 05, 2009, 06:36:39 AM
Quote from: Jenne on March 04, 2009, 06:38:10 PM
Yeah, not so into that.

As far as I remember they never really stopped.

Also, as far as not eating fish goes, what easy options are available for Omega 3 besides fish?
I think I may get some fish oil tablets, maybe.

I take fish oil tablets, they're "lemon flavored" which just means I have horrible lemon burps.  :\
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Cain

Quote from: Kai on March 04, 2009, 10:50:12 PM
And just to point this out, I think fish are tasty. I LIKE the taste of tuna. I would like to continue being able to eat tuna.

If I'm going to CONTINUE to be able to eat tuna, that means fishing practices and quotas need to change, or I won't be able to eat it, just like I can't get cod anymore.

Yeah, that's why it annoys me too, because I really like seafood, of all kinds.  I like to think I have just enough self-control to realize denying instant gratification can, in some cases, be a good idea.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on March 05, 2009, 12:36:39 PM
Quote from: Kai on March 04, 2009, 10:50:12 PM

Yeah, that's why it annoys me too, because I really like seafood, of all kinds.  I like to think I have just enough self-control to realize denying instant gratification can, in some cases, be a good idea.

People just expect a species of food (ie bovine, chicken, bluefin tuna, eggplant, domestic rice, whatever) to be instantly and always available, like theres no seasonality or difficulty to get things. Not to mention how much of it we eat...

I don't see why Japan can't limit their intake of nigiri maguro so we can all share in bigeye and bluefin tuna for years to come, instead of the inevitable collapse that will be happening within the next 20-30 years.

Jasper

Something of a non-sequitur, but I'd gladly nosh on cloned tuna to save an ecosystem.