News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

STOP EATING SUSHI

Started by Cain, March 03, 2009, 11:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Kai

Quote from: Cain on March 03, 2009, 11:16:38 PM
For reals.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4679

Yeah.

My undergrad has turned me off to fish somewhat, but I have a softspot for some of them, including the tunas. Big predatory COOL fish. Fast. Tasty too.

Humans are so horrible at handling fisheries. Its easier with terrestrial species because you can more accurratly count population sizes, but with fish its all just a guess, and usually it turns out like western Atlantic cod, or anchovies, or sardines, or in this case, tuna. Over fishing eventually leads to a collapsed fishery. BTW, cod hasn't seen any improvement in the areas where there's now a ban.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

I don't think I've ever eaten "suishi" in the first place.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

I was so fucking angry when I saw frozen packages of New Zealand Orange Roughy at the supermarket the other day.

Cainad (dec.)

I was kinda irritated when I saw Chilean Sea Bass on the menu at a wedding I attended.

But then I was REALLY annoyed when dad ordered it, despite the fact that I'd voiced my misgivings about it.

Cain

Quote from: Dirtytime on March 04, 2009, 02:27:12 AM
I don't think I've ever eaten "suishi" in the first place.

You've never been to Waitrose then.

I actually think its because Japanese (like Chinese and Korean) is transliterated slightly differently in the UK.  For instance, in Korean, the place of training is called a "dojang" if you ask someone from the UK, but a "tojang" according to American speakers.

QuoteHumans are so horrible at handling fisheries. Its easier with terrestrial species because you can more accurratly count population sizes, but with fish its all just a guess, and usually it turns out like western Atlantic cod, or anchovies, or sardines, or in this case, tuna. Over fishing eventually leads to a collapsed fishery. BTW, cod hasn't seen any improvement in the areas where there's now a ban.

That sucks.  I tend to have haddock because I know cod is in a bad way, but no improvement does not sound good...

Richter

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2009, 01:12:55 PM
I actually think its because Japanese (like Chinese and Korean) is transliterated slightly differently in the UK.  For instance, in Korean, the place of training is called a "dojang" if you ask someone from the UK, but a "tojang" according to American speakers.

I always was taught "Dojang".  We've got Suu for another opinion, but I'm not sure who else has any Korean here.

Also:  I'm not giving up the tuna.   
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cain

Strange.  I bought an American reference guide to Tae Kwon Do and the transliteration of the names was ever so slightly different.  Not enough to be a problem, but noticeable.  Equally, in my copy of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Cao-Cao is called T'sao Tsao, Zhuge Liang is called Chuko Liang and other names are changed in similar ways.  I know the US and UK have different systems for transliteration of such names and phrases, so I assumed that was the culprit.

AFK

I've never liked fish.  Too fishy tasting. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Elder Iptuous

I recommend eating the shit out of fish, while you still can.  in the coming mad max future, one of the biggest recreational activities will be sitting around talking about what you did when life was awesome. 
someone will say, "Man, you know what i really miss?  Fresh tuna! or orange roughy.... or spotted owl"  and you'll be all, like, "I didn't ever eat that cause of my conscience..."  and he'll be all, like, "sucka!"

AFK

Wait, you mean the fish don't just come to you and perch themselves on your porch? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bruno

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 04, 2009, 02:27:35 PM
Wait, you mean the fish don't just come to you and perch themselves on your porch? 

Only if you have a big mouth and carp about your crappie bass system.
Formerly something else...

Jenne

Quote from: Cainad on March 04, 2009, 05:12:18 AM
I was kinda irritated when I saw Chilean Sea Bass on the menu at a wedding I attended.

But then I was REALLY annoyed when dad ordered it, despite the fact that I'd voiced my misgivings about it.

Orange roughy and Chilean sea bass are over here in CA in spades.  I need to look up if they are sold through hatcheries or what.

Jenne

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2009, 01:26:57 PM
Strange.  I bought an American reference guide to Tae Kwon Do and the transliteration of the names was ever so slightly different.  Not enough to be a problem, but noticeable.  Equally, in my copy of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Cao-Cao is called T'sao Tsao, Zhuge Liang is called Chuko Liang and other names are changed in similar ways.  I know the US and UK have different systems for transliteration of such names and phrases, so I assumed that was the culprit.

The "T's" vs. "ch" transliteration is indeed proliferate over here, as for the Korean, I can't say, but the "d" vs. "t" hasn't shown up on my radar.  I think the difference comes because of the lack of aspiration on the syllable--which tends to make it "d"-sounding even if there's no voicing.  (/d/ = voiced, /t/ = non-voiced but usually aspirated in American English).