News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

STOP EATING SUSHI

Started by Cain, March 03, 2009, 11:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

You could save an ecosystem without doing that, honestly.

Its all about amounts. People still rely on this MSY model, the Maximum Sustainable Yield model. The problem with MSY is that it doesn't allow much room for error. You overshoot the MSY tip point and you cause a crash. Since you can NEVER get great population estimates for fisheries, MSY is always gonna end up screwing you over. I wish oceanic fisheries practiced APPROPRIATE sustainable yield.

It also assumes there is a surplus that can safely be fished at commercial levels. This is of course not always the case.

Its all political bullshit. Free market my ass. Doesn't work for natural resources.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cainad on March 04, 2009, 05:12:18 AM
I was kinda irritated when I saw Chilean Sea Bass on the menu at a wedding I attended.

But then I was REALLY annoyed when dad ordered it, despite the fact that I'd voiced my misgivings about it.

I don't blame him. that shit is GOOD.

hell, I run it as a special at the restaurant once every week or two when we're open and it almost always sells out before the end of service.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Dildo_Daggins on March 04, 2009, 06:48:45 PM
Farm (pond) raised catfish has got to be one of the ecologically best choices for fish.

Not sure how it would be in sushi though.

it would be about the same as if you took some mud and wormshit and mixed it with rice and seaweed.

you know, since catfish tastes like mud and wormshit no matter WHAT you do with it. I can't believe people eat that crap.

same with tilapia and swordfish. people would NEVER eat that stuff if they knew anything about it.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Quote from: Dirtytime on March 06, 2009, 08:03:24 PM
Farm (pond) raised catfish has got to be one of the ecologically best choices for fish.

it would be about the same as if you took some mud and wormshit and mixed it with rice and seaweed.

you know, since catfish tastes like mud and wormshit no matter WHAT you do with it. I can't believe people eat that crap.

same with tilapia and swordfish. people would NEVER eat that stuff if they knew anything about it.

So...basically don't eat any fish except the top predators?

When it comes right down to it, we ALL eat mud and wormshit, even if its a couple levels removed.

And catfish is tasty. So there.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Kai

You do realize that catfish are largely pisivores, right?

Jasper

Swordfish isn't supposed to taste good?  Since when? 

East Coast Hustle

swordfish tastes GREAT.

so do the parasitic worms that burrow through the flesh of the swordfish, sometimes exceeding 5 or 6 feet in length. And yes, you ARE eating those worms if you eat swordfish.

also, catfish tastes like shit.

and that cheap tilapia you buy that is farm-raised in asia?

you do NOT want to know what those fish are eating. Srsly, do yourself a favor and DO NEVER EAT TILAPIA.

in fact, most farm-raised fish is of suspect nutritional value, tastes like catpoop, and has the capacity to be horribly damaging to the natural ecosystem...it's just that tilapia is the worst of the lot.

anyway, if the little fuckers can't figure out how to not get caught in the wild they aren't worthy of being a self-perpetuating species.

Kai

All 3000 plus species of catfish taste like shit?

Bruno

Quote from: Dirtytime on March 06, 2009, 08:03:24 PM

Awesome, more for me and Kai.  :D
Formerly something else...

Kai

I'm not gonna eat tilapia (mostly because I'm not into farm fish in the first place) and I don't eat swordfish for the same reason I don't eat bigeye tuna, but I think its more than reasonable to consume Channel and Blue Catfish (bigmouths on the otherhand I won't eat, for the same reason I won't eat sturgeon or paddlefish, poor management and declining numbers).

East Coast Hustle

freshwater fish in general is "meh" at best, IMHO, perch being the only notable exception I can think of.

bottom-dwelling freshwater fish isn't usually even THAT good.

On the other hand, if all the good fish are going to run out anyway, I'd rather you guys eat the catfish and leave the cod and sea bass to me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I hate catfish. Ewwwwww.

I mostly eat wild pacific salmon and cod, when it's on sale.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

Quote from: Dirtytime on March 07, 2009, 02:24:58 AM
freshwater fish in general is "meh" at best, IMHO, perch being the only notable exception I can think of.

bottom-dwelling freshwater fish isn't usually even THAT good.

On the other hand, if all the good fish are going to run out anyway, I'd rather you guys eat the catfish and leave the cod and sea bass to me.

Tennessee is noted for it's lack of oceans, so It is rare for me to come across fresh saltwater fishes. Fresh catfish, on the other hand is easy to come by since it is easily farmed (mostly channel cat). I will say that there is a fairly wide variance in the quality of catfish, even here. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on catfish, but we can agree to agree on perch. Sunfish is also pretty good IMO.

Formerly something else...

Dysnomia

Damn, time to switch over to vegetarian/vegan fishies probably. 

What about Shrimp?  Or are they gross and/or going extinct too?
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The only problem I know about with shrimping is other animals (turtles, fish) getting caught in the nets. The shrimping industry works to some degree to design nets that avoid turtle and other bycatch, but I really don't know how observed/effective that really is.  There are also a lot of shrimp farms, but I have no idea if they're as gross as the fish farms.

Oysters and cockles are great; they're farmed in a natural, open environment and there's no potential for bycatch.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."