News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

STOP EATING SUSHI

Started by Cain, March 03, 2009, 11:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Shrimp are awesome, and available in huge numbers.

vegetarianism, however, IS gross.

also, DD is right. I totally forgot about sunfish which is, IMO, the tastiest freshwater fish even if you need 6 of them to make a meal.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

So, we're talking sunfish in general? Sunfish, bluegills, crappies, the black basses? All the common Centrarchidae?

I'll agree to that.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

I don't know. In Maine, "sunfish" refers to one particular species, but it could be a regional term and I hae no idea what the actual name of the species is.

ETA: it appears I may be talking about bluegill.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Quote from: Dirtytime on March 07, 2009, 11:13:46 PM
I don't know. In Maine, "sunfish" refers to one particular species, but it could be a regional term and I hae no idea what the actual name of the species is.

Yeah, sunfish refers to a whole bunch of closely related north american fish, and also the family of fishes which includes them, the crappies and black basses. Bluegills are in this group as well, Lepomis macrochirus, and closely related to other commonly called sunfish, like the green sunfish,  pumpkinseed, warmouth and redear. You get a problem with common names as you can see, cause they change depending on geography.

Bluegills are very good eatin.  It takes more fish to make a meal, but they are abundant and seldom have bag limits, so you can keep taking them till you have enough. Black bass and crappies are also as good of eating IMO, and larger so there are less fish to clean, but also less abundant.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Suu

All of you should just eat more pork.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm making baked pork chops right this very moment.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

Quote from: Dirtytime on March 07, 2009, 11:13:46 PM

I was speaking mainly of bluegill, which is the species of sunfish that I am most familiar with.
Formerly something else...

Messier Undertree

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2009, 01:12:55 PM
Quote from: Dirtytime on March 04, 2009, 02:27:12 AM
I don't think I've ever eaten "suishi" in the first place.

You've never been to Waitrose then.

I actually think its because Japanese (like Chinese and Korean) is transliterated slightly differently in the UK.  For instance, in Korean, the place of training is called a "dojang" if you ask someone from the UK, but a "tojang" according to American speakers.

The conventional way of romanising Japanese is the same here as in the US. It's always "sushi". For Korean, there are two conventional ways of romanising words, but for Japanese there is only one and it's used everywhere. And of all the more obscure ways that it could be romanised, "suishi" isn't even a possibility.

Also, Japanese doesn't have all those funny vowel sounds (eo and all that) that Korean has and so romanisation is pretty uniform.

And anyway, don't shop at Waitrose. :argh!:

Messier Undertree

And for the record, I would eat whale meat given the opportunity.

gb2PETA, all of you.

Kai

Quote from: Malachite on March 08, 2009, 05:52:18 PM

gb2PETA, all of you.

Notice I didn't say anything about not eating whale due to touchy feely shit. It had everything to do with not fucking the populations up even more.

Kthxbye.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Malachite on March 08, 2009, 05:52:18 PM

gb2PETA, all of you.

for the record, I have eaten whale meat, and I think you would benefit tremendously from a mouthful of it.

Suu

I don't know if I would given the chance considering, however, can you describe it? I'm curious.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nast

I hear it tastes like beef with a sort of fishy/gamey taste.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Suu on March 08, 2009, 11:07:26 PM
I don't know if I would given the chance considering, however, can you describe it? I'm curious.

Indefensibly disgusting. Like rotten beef crossed with lutefisk.

It was so bad that if I were a less rational person, I'd probably be in favor of whaling on the grounds that anything that tastes that bad DESERVES to be extinct.