News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Plus, I Got Religion

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 08, 2009, 01:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This isn't finished, but it's as much as I feel like writing right now.

I don't talk about my religion much. For one thing, I don't want to have to explain it... it's complicated. For another thing, I don't relish getting caught in the explain/justify/defend cycle that happens so often, especially when talking to a social group that is rich in devout atheists. I find that in situations like that, atheists become evangelistic, as if they're on a mission to pry religion from every mind they encounter. I don't like the judgment, the condemnation, or the derision – it's easier to never bring it up at all, and let them assume that I'm one of their fold.

One of the reasons I don't like being in a position where I'm asked to defend my religion is because I find that religion is indefensible. It's not logical; more like humor than it is like love, it defies being pinned down with algorithms and intellectualism. Much of what is funny is subjective, makes no sense, and cannot be predicted, and to me, that's what religion is like. Not only can I not explain or justify why I have it, I don't even care to try. No, really. I don't. It's not something I take great comfort in, because I'm not a believer in a benevolent god. It's just something I have faith in... faith, which cannot be logically defended. Something pretty absurd. You either get it or you don't.

Friends confronted with the fact that I have religion are often disbelieving, then derisive. "You don't really believe in that, do you? I mean, you don't believe that it's really for real real, right?"

Truth?

Sometimes, sometimes not. Sometimes it's metaphor, sometimes it's an exercise of the mind, and sometimes it's really for real real, something that came with me from my ancestors. Something so pants-wettingly old that I'd be seriously disrespecting my ancestors if I thumbed my nose at believing in it. It's as real as their existences, as their bone fragments littering the desert in Jerome and their skeletons being slowly permeated by minerals in Conwy, Echota, and Mombasa. If I imagine something, does it exist? Well... of course! Sort of.

The simplest way for me to explain why I have religion is to say that it's because I've decided to. I like it.

Fuck you, Kai.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

rong

"some things are so serious, they can only be joked about." -Neils Bohr
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Faithless

If a thing is real for you, then that is enough. Don't let others bug you.
Oh, sonovabitch.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Faithless on March 08, 2009, 07:34:22 AM
If a thing is real for you, then that is enough. Don't let others bug you undermine your Toof Faerie.

And, fixed.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faithless on March 08, 2009, 07:34:22 AM
If a thing is real for you, then that is enough. Don't let others bug you.

It's not so much that others bug me, personally, as that I'm getting the growing sense that this particular corner of Discordia is becoming increasingly closed to those of us who do have religion; the spiritual and the religious, whether reverently or irreverently so. How many people here will confess to being spiritual or religious, in the face of being mocked by their atheism-embracing peers? I know several who are privately spiritual... yet religion-baiting is a popular sport here, and I take part in it too. I don't despise religion, though, or the religious, even though I may be eccentric in the way I practice mine. I despise evangelism and fundamentalism in almost all aspects, for the way the practitioners of those try to impose their irrational, indefensible beliefs on others.

Like I said in another thread, I don't want to see PD.com Discordianism turn into Pastafarianism. I like the St. Maes of Discord, and I think it would be pretty sad if people like she or I or some of the others I know felt marginalized here. Well, some of them already do.

Anyway. If this is the corner of the Web designated for Atheist Discordians, that's all well and good. I'll take my ball and go to another playground. But if it's not, I'll stick around, and I'm going to stop keeping my mouth shut and going with the flow when it comes to taking blanket jabs at other people's religion.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I understand what you're saying, but I can't get around the problem of religion just being a mind-bendingly stupid concept.

on the other hand, I get the feeling that alot of people here are using the word "religion" when what they mean is "grid that I sometimes impose because I enjoy it and find it occasionally useful in my pursuit of higher understanding of the universe and human nature but which I realize deep-down is nothing more than a grid".

I mean, if it's a religion, that means that you literally believe in divine supernatural entities.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

OPTIMUS PINECONE

I once had a good friend, who told me, early on in his Fatherhood he'd let his daughter know there is no god, and I was bummed. I understood he was a militant no-godder, but I thought it was lame to snub out a kids potential like that. My first thought was, how can anyone look at the physical world and not feel that there's more going on than  what's covered in 'science monthly'? Call it what you want, nature and it's predecessors rock. Being open to that and applying what comes to you as you go ought always to be an option. As much as established "religion" (i.e. Catholicism, Buddhism) is annoying, Atheists are fucking lame.

My brother also told his kids there is no Santa, because he's some kind of neo-Christian. Again, I had to think - just because "you people" tried to severe all ties between man and the cosmos way back when?!...

'C'mon! OR KILL ME!

"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley

Kai

Quote from: Dirtytime on March 08, 2009, 08:34:00 PM
I understand what you're saying, but I can't get around the problem of religion just being a mind-bendingly stupid concept.

on the other hand, I get the feeling that alot of people here are using the word "religion" when what they mean is "grid that I sometimes impose because I enjoy it and find it occasionally useful in my pursuit of higher understanding of the universe and human nature but which I realize deep-down is nothing more than a grid".

I mean, if it's a religion, that means that you literally believe in divine supernatural entities.

Would you consider classical Theravada Buddhism a religion?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Requia ☣

I've never really seen this place as a militant atheist outpost.  I think its only maybe half atheist, and the attacks tend to be directed more at orthodoxy.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Tempest Virago

Quote from: OPTIMUS PINECONE on March 08, 2009, 08:42:44 PM
    I once had a good friend, who told me, early on in his Fatherhood he'd let his daughter know there is no god, and I was bummed. I understood he was a militant no-godder, but I thought it was lame to snub out a kids potential like that. My first thought was, how can anyone look at the physical world and not feel that there's more going on than  what's covered in 'science monthly'? Call it what you want, nature and it's predecessors rock. Being open to that and applying what comes to you as you go ought always to be an option. As much as established "religion" (i.e. Catholicism, Buddhism) is annoying, Atheists are fucking lame.

My brother also told his kids there is no Santa, because he's some kind of neo-Christian. Again, I had to think - just because "you people" tried to severe all ties between man and the cosmos way back when?!...

'C'mon! OR KILL ME!

I grew up not believing in God or Santa Claus, and I don't feel like my potential was snubbed at all. Anyway, it's not like I didn't make up my own stuff to believe in - I had a very active imagination. In fact, you could argue that I was more imaginative because I was forced to be creative in my make-believe.

Anyway, I try not to talk about my thoughts on religion, largely out of fear of making people feel like Nigel does. I don't want to make anybody feel judged or defensive.

Thurnez Isa

If I ever have kids Im going to tell them that there is a God... and the fucker is out to destroy everything they hold dear, so you better all learn to fight back
:argh!:
lets not even go into what Im going to tell them about "Santa Claws"
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Atheists are the world's dumbest optimists.

Yes, there is a God.  God demands your worship.  Why?  Because he eats it.  If a God doesn't get prayer, it dies (which is why the Greek gods aren't still turning into bulls and fucking young ladies).  The main course, of course, happens when you die, and God eats your soul. 

The REAL joke is on the atheists, of course.  Since no god eats them, they just turn into this pathetic corpse that shuffles in to the office/shop/kitchen every day, forever.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

I just don't feel the need to discuss my spirituality publicly.

And if something came over me to do so on a board full of asshats it would be ridiculous to think that they would suddenly take their hat off and hold their bowels.

If one doesn't like something made with intent then it's called propaganda, evangelism, or artless.

If one does like something made with intent then it's called information, education, or art.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Anomalous on March 09, 2009, 01:05:34 AM

And if something came over me to do so on a board full of asshats it would be ridiculous to think that they would suddenly take their hat off and hold their bowels.

If one doesn't like something made with intent then it's called propaganda, evangelism, or artless.

If one does like something made with intent then it's called information, education, or art.

Sure.  I mean, if words don't mean anything.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 09, 2009, 01:15:25 AM
Quote from: Anomalous on March 09, 2009, 01:05:34 AM

Sure.  I mean, if words don't mean anything.

People mean things. Words are arbitrary symbols of sounds.