News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

THOUGHTS ON WATCHMEN MOVIE, MOST OF WHICH ARE NOT BY FRED

Started by Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ, March 08, 2009, 04:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Yeah, I hadn't read the book before seeing the film either, and I thought it was being set up to end the way it should have, for pretty much the same reasons.  The ending, as it was shown, just didn't make sense.

Freeky

I've been conditioned to understand endings that don't make sense, so I ended up thinking it was fine.

"Hey, my blood is gonna cure these people, you take these vials and hide in here, I'ma blow myself up to save you and also cuz I'm too emo to live anymore, if you really think there's a chance there's other people, you make a run for it. DER END"

-Kel-

i read the graphic novel before seeing the film. I was really happy they stayed so close to the novel and was OK with their reasons of changing the film ending from the book. I'm glad the director stuck to his guns on the rest of the film and wouldn't let corporate assholes at the studios ruin it.

they just released "the ultimate cut"

which i highly suggest getting if your a die hard fan of the novel. It adds in the black freighter directly into the film and is now over three hours long, but well worth it.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2010, 03:15:06 PM
The "vampires" are actually intelligent beings capable of empathy, and the doctor who we thought was the hero (whom, as you may recall, was abducting and carrying out medical experiments on them) was the real monster.

Indeed, the title of the book makes a lot more sense that way: In the vampire nests across the city, they tell tales of a creature who goes out at daybreak and kills their kind with neither rhyme nor reason.  He has become as much of a legend as the original vampires used to be.

East Coast Hustle

Watchmen is still both the best graphic novel I've ever read and one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Freeky

NotPublished

I found The Watchmen movie hilarious ... had to admit I liked the action scene with Rorschach (I can never spell that) when he was escaping Jail

Apart from that, it was soo crap I couldn't stop laughing. The lesbian chick had an awesome outfit to.. They might aswell of kept her alive

Thats my only judgement on the movie =/
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2010, 07:18:21 PM
You should watch Twilight some day.

yeah, but unless there's a really awesome graphic novel version, it will not yield such a striking dichotomy.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

True.  But it made me revise my standards of what I considered a bad film.  Troll 2 is now on the cusp of watchability as a serious work, thanks to Twilight.

Brotep

heh.

The friend I saw the Watchmen movie with said the sex scene ruined both sex and Hallelujah for him. So later in the week, when I was pretty sure he was about to get laid, I texted him the lyrics.

Requia ☣

What really killed Watchmen for me was the lack of side character development.  Without losing characters i actually cared about at the end the sacrifice had no feeling to it.

I've been meaning to watch the umpteen hour extended version and see if its better.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2010, 03:00:03 PM
For the same reason the Matrix changed the script so people were being used as batteries (which makes no sense at all) instead of as part of a neural net, and why the ending of I Am Legend was changed to completely miss the point of the novel.

Namely, viewers are morons.  Or, at least, executives think viewers are morons.

This. Hollywood cant be trusted to adapt ANYTHING.
Look at the new Star Trek movie, or Alice in Wonderland.

East Coast Hustle

Don't worry, they're going ot make it up to us by turning "The Wizard of Oz" into the next Harry Potter-esque franchise.

:horrormirth:

Triple Zero

Quote from: -Kel- on March 10, 2010, 03:34:27 PM
i read the graphic novel before seeing the film. I was really happy they stayed so close to the novel and was OK with their reasons of changing the film ending from the book.

I also absolutely positively LOVED the fact that they left out the utterly lame and redundant pirate story. Why pull your readers out of the flow of the story at the end of every chapter with a failed attempt at transparent metaphor?

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.