News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Financial fuckery thread

Started by Cain, March 12, 2009, 09:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeTom

The part that pisses me off.

If I made $250,000 a year I could:

Almost double my state income tax contribution to 10% of gross income
Then increase by federal income tax contribution to 50% of gross income

and still take home more than DOUBLE what I make now before taxes.

America's problems aren't gay marriage and abortions.  It's the sin of greed.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Doktor Howl

From The Because We Said So Department:

QuoteSpeaking on the downgrade issue at the White House Monday, President Barack Obama said the U.S. will always be a AAA-rated country despite what rating agencies say, and he urged lawmakers to work together to tackle the nation's deficit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44059948/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/

Molon Lube

Cain

He's right.  So long as one major European country remains AAA, the USA can act as a AAA credit nation through the IMF, where it has effectively unlimited withdrawal.

Telarus

:horrormirth: So this is theatre... I wonder who the target audience is...?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

If the cost of borrowing goes up without the real risk of default, who wins?  Those who lend the money...

Disco Pickle

Dow Hovering around 11,000, with a 500pt drop since opening this morning.  Without a significant rally in the next two hours before closing, it will mark over 1,000 pt loss from last Monday to today and last time closing below 11,000 since November of last year.

Would be a good time to buy stronger companies that are well capitalized but seeing downward price pressure from the broader sell off.

2 hours to go.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cramulus

I'm in a debate with somebody about the financial brou-haha

he is attributing the financial crisis to "stupidity and laziness"... that the people who got taken for a ride by predatory subprime lending created the crisis. He's essentially saying that we're watching natural selection in progress.

Can somebody hit me with a bullet point about why the poor aren't to blame? I know there's a million good reasons I'm just having trouble organizing

Precious Moments Zalgo

Well, the billions of dollars in failed mortgages didn't cause the problem.  It was the trillions of dollars in CDO's that went kablooie that did it.  So it was the insurance companies that got taken for a ride by predatory investment banks that caused the real damage.  We would be watching natural selection in progress, but for the bailouts.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Cain

Yup.  Furthermore, bankers have a moral obligation not to lend money to someone who cannot be reasonably expected to pay it back.

Precious Moments Zalgo

:lulz:

Obama totally caved and gave the Republicans everything they wanted last week, so now the resulting market crash and S&P downgrade happened because Obama "failed to show leadership". That's true, but it's hilarious to hear Republicans say it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/romney-goes-after-obama-in-wake-of-credit-rating-downgrade/2011/08/08/gIQAMerW2I_story.html

QuoteMitt Romney says the nation's credit problem arose because President Barack Obama has failed to show leadership on the economy.

Things wouldn't be so bad now if Obama had shown some backbone
   and stood up to us instead of giving in to all our kooky demands.
                                              /
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cain on August 08, 2011, 10:55:27 PM
Yup.  Furthermore, bankers have a moral obligation not to lend money to someone who cannot be reasonably expected to pay it back.

Shouldn't that be refined to say that bankers have a fiscal responsibility not to lend money to risky borrowers that only turns into a moral responsibility in the context of a government that will backstop their shitty investments?

I mean if they were made to sleep in the beds they made, then i would have no problem with them making the decisions they did, other than an obligatory facepalm...

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Adios

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 08, 2011, 11:56:04 PM
:lulz:

I think someone needs to remind fat boy that this isn't the 1930s.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous