News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Financial fuckery thread

Started by Cain, March 12, 2009, 09:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

More Greece

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18216307

QuoteIn the interview published on Friday, the International Monetary Fund head said: "As far as Athens is concerned, I also think about all those people who are trying to escape tax all the time. All these people in Greece who are trying to escape tax.

"I think they should also help themselves collectively," Ms Lagarde said.

She added: "I think more of the little kids from a school in a little village in Niger who get teaching two hours a day, sharing one chair for three of them, and who are very keen to get an education. I have them in my mind all the time.

"Because I think they need even more help than the people in Athens."

And when asked if she was saying to the Greeks and other European nations that they had had a nice time and it was now payback time, Ms Lagarde responded: "That's right."

Probably not worth mentioning, but that "little village" probably has similar levels of debt to Greece. That part of the world isn't really known for affluence. Good to know the IMF cares though. I doubt it cares enough to actually do that whole "helping" thing. You have to let people help themselves out of the debt you helped them into.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

QuoteI think more of the little kids from a school in a little village in Niger who get teaching two hours a day, sharing one chair for three of them, and who are very keen to get an education. I have them in my mind all the time.

Only for the moment.  The Greek education budget has been slashed 29% over the last three years, and further cuts are being demanded.

Also, wow, check out THAT condescending paternalism.  Maybe if this international organisation Ms Lagarde may have heard of, something called an Eye-Em-Ef, had not insisted on "market reforms" in Niger in the 1990s, which involved cutting government spending and lowering corporate taxes, maybe the poor children of Niger would have an education system which worked a little bit better.

Just a thought.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 26, 2012, 05:30:30 AM
More Greece

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18216307

QuoteIn the interview published on Friday, the International Monetary Fund head said: "As far as Athens is concerned, I also think about all those people who are trying to escape tax all the time. All these people in Greece who are trying to escape tax.

"I think they should also help themselves collectively," Ms Lagarde said.

She added: "I think more of the little kids from a school in a little village in Niger who get teaching two hours a day, sharing one chair for three of them, and who are very keen to get an education. I have them in my mind all the time.

And when asked if she was saying to the Greeks and other European nations that they had had a nice time and it was now payback time, Ms Lagarde responded: "That's right."

Probably not worth mentioning, but that "little village" probably has similar levels of debt to Greece. That part of the world isn't really known for affluence. Good to know the IMF cares though. I doubt it cares enough to actually do that whole "helping" thing. You have to let people help themselves out of the debt you helped them into.

Greeks helping themselves, collectively.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Faust

They are, as soon as power structure of the country holding back a complete collapse and default is out of the way greece is free to recover.

The reason they are not being allowed to is because whatever they default for directly hits the ECB and more importantly has a knock on effect on every european financial institution there is.

Hell a greek default could even set off the American banks as well. I would love to see them default.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Facebook is out of ideas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18234004

QuoteSocial networking giant Facebook is to launch its own smartphone by next year, reports have suggested.

The New York Times cited unnamed sources, including Facebook employees, suggesting that the network had been hiring several smartphone engineers.

Facebook recently admitted it was struggling to make money out of its growing mobile audience.

The company, which recently floated on the stock market, has also just launched its own mobile app store.

The App Center currently offers links to Facebook-enabled apps within Apple's iOS and Google Android stores but developers will soon be able to write apps to be placed exclusively in Facebook's store.

According to the New York Times, Facebook has hired experts who worked on the iPhone and other smartphones.

It quoted a Facebook employee as saying the site's founder Mark Zuckerberg was "worried that if he doesn't create a mobile phone in the near future... Facebook will simply become an app on other mobile platforms".

I expect this will not exactly reassure would-be investors.

Cain

It's also worth noting that, at least in part, the problem with Greece is tax collection, on the richest sections of their population.  The middle and working classes have been squeezed to breaking point.

Syzria, out of all the Greek parties, is the one most likely to raise taxes on the richest in Greece.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on May 29, 2012, 09:32:44 AM
Facebook is out of ideas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18234004

QuoteSocial networking giant Facebook is to launch its own smartphone by next year, reports have suggested.

The New York Times cited unnamed sources, including Facebook employees, suggesting that the network had been hiring several smartphone engineers.

Facebook recently admitted it was struggling to make money out of its growing mobile audience.

The company, which recently floated on the stock market, has also just launched its own mobile app store.

The App Center currently offers links to Facebook-enabled apps within Apple's iOS and Google Android stores but developers will soon be able to write apps to be placed exclusively in Facebook's store.

According to the New York Times, Facebook has hired experts who worked on the iPhone and other smartphones.

It quoted a Facebook employee as saying the site's founder Mark Zuckerberg was "worried that if he doesn't create a mobile phone in the near future... Facebook will simply become an app on other mobile platforms".

I expect this will not exactly reassure would-be investors.

There are also rumours they're looking to buy Opera.

Which makes a lot more sense than building a smartphone, because Opera's two mobile browsers (Opera Mobile and Opera Mini) are the best generic mobile browsers out there, plus Opera has good relations with various mobile carriers, and some other things (read the liItnked article). Facebook taking a slice of that pie could turn out to be a very smart move.

It also means that the last (usable) browser not developed in the USA gets bought up by an American mega-corporation.

Also, it also means Opera is going to lose a lot of users over this, myself included. I suppose I'll give [a mod of] Chromium a go--being Open Source is one thing Opera has always lacked. I should check what browser RMS uses :) Though I expect he doesn't require much features cause 95% of his time is spent on email.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

inode_buddha

Sumbitch, they actually *did* it....
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/08/financial-regulation-fed-idINL1E8H7I7E20120608

FYI I greatly approve of this move - long overdue IMHO by decades.  :mittens:
C|N>K

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: inode_buddha on June 08, 2012, 03:21:29 AM
Sumbitch, they actually *did* it....
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/08/financial-regulation-fed-idINL1E8H7I7E20120608

FYI I greatly approve of this move - long overdue IMHO by decades.  :mittens:

I'm almost willing to be optimistic, but we'll see.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hirley0

SUNDAY 6/17 Read 26211 Just saying

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 13, 2012, 05:01:47 PM
The median family networth decreased 40% between 2007 and 2010.
My guess was mostly due to the 2004 Sumatra Tsunomi
thus there was a four year delay for the ECO-friendly's to compute?
Computers have increased in speed since that time
THUS my guess is it will be less than 4 for the Fucushima #'s
Maybe next week but most likely Augest?
OR was it October?/?
i have trouble with those Asia driven event time's?

26040 ?   26049 spike Up |\ ramp down day on the DAX >1%?
MUMBEL mumbell Read 25964 times at 12:17:44 AM :fnord: {25991 9:30St

Link to YESterday http://blogs.reuters.com/chrystia-freeland/2012/06/07/the-euro-zone-slow-motion-crashes-and-latvia/

Link to the Video 1F/d http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,20156.msg1175346.html#msg1175346

Link to ? http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,31860.30/msg,1179084.html

^ READ UP ^ OR BACK > (P69} (Ta5} (P64=KLM}

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Faust

In 2008 when LB went tits up and triggered the global crisis, did anyone notice which stocks share or commodities went up?

I'm going to guess gold but I can't be certain even looking at the figures from back then I'm not certain.

I'm expecting Greeces new government to renege on the bailout agreement and default.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hirley0

Monday ? 13 IX ? http://www.x-rates.com/
LOOKING FOR x-r for paraguay & bolivia | did not find ?
when? annexing these two it should first be resolved
WHAT metal will be used for their common coin?
NOT : copper  CLP |  Tantalum ARS |  Silver MEX ?
also the rate of change TaLks too
Monthly rate on ARS = ~ 3 %
Whomever is responsible should be given a metal

8:30pdT -
IT DID occure to me? that the place to go? to look for
ECONOMIC DIRECTION ?/?  is  Columbia ????/ | i have no idea Y.
other than the chart(s) timing. Who to see? What to say ? WHERE
TO STAY? all Questions  among scads of others?/? + Paraguay & Bolivia
it does seam like the gold coin 1.5 ? 2.2 K should be from Peru though?

Placid Dingo

Election over with New Democracy win. I've also been hearing reorts that museums in Greece are closed, affecting tourism, and inability to maintain security is affecting security of precious artefacts.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.