News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Financial fuckery thread

Started by Cain, March 12, 2009, 09:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Pergamos on February 27, 2013, 09:34:38 PM
Quote from: Pope Partum Depression on February 26, 2013, 06:44:10 AM
I googled Ithaca Hours.

QuoteThe local currency in Ithaca, N.Y., is called "Ithaca Hours." They are bought with U.S. dollars and can be traded with local shops for products or services.

Any currency can be purchased with US dollars.

Well yeah, that was my point. If you have to buy it with USD, then the people selling it consider USD to be the REAL currency.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

LMNO

In other fucked financial news, the utter fuckwads who legislate our country actually let the sequester happen.  You know, when Republicans decided to fuck around with the budget ceiling in 2011 leading us straight towards default which fucked with our S&P credit rating, and only relented after a bill was passed that would make things so horrible it would force congress to come up with a better budget by 2013?

Yeah, that horrible thing just happened.  And now some assholes from both sides are saying it's a good thing.

I fucking hate the people who are running this counrty.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 01, 2013, 03:40:06 PM
In other fucked financial news, the utter fuckwads who legislate our country actually let the sequester happen.  You know, when Republicans decided to fuck around with the budget ceiling in 2011 leading us straight towards default which fucked with our S&P credit rating, and only relented after a bill was passed that would make things so horrible it would force congress to come up with a better budget by 2013?

Yeah, that horrible thing just happened.  And now some assholes from both sides are saying it's a good thing.

I fucking hate the people who are running this counrty.

Yeah, we were talking about that at the morning meeting.

Here's the fairly immediate result:  Civilian government employees (not the military or heaven forbid the president, congress, or cabinet members) will lose 20% of their pay within 4 weeks.

Then social programs get hit, about a week after that.  Some may even happen sooner.

One thing we can all be thankful for, is that neither Eric Cantor nor Boehnor nor Obama will have to miss any meals or house payments, and isn't THAT the important thing.

Austerity:  It's not for everyone.  Just YOU.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

To be honest, I thought it was going to be a manufactured fake last-minute drama, which in a way would be a perfect end to a manufactured fake crisis.  But no. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 01, 2013, 04:00:23 PM
To be honest, I thought it was going to be a manufactured fake last-minute drama, which in a way would be a perfect end to a manufactured fake crisis.  But no.

There are a few people getting very, very wealthy in Germany due to austerity measures in the surrounding nations.

I don't think OUR wealthy people want to miss out on that.

Cain

BBC's reporting last minute discussions are ongoing.

Aren't you glad your nation's future is being decided by a bunch of old, rich guys playing "Chicken"?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 01, 2013, 04:27:14 PM
BBC's reporting last minute discussions are ongoing.

Aren't you glad your nation's future is being decided by a bunch of old, rich guys playing "Chicken"?

I don't think there will be a fix.

Or rather, the fix has been in, and this is just theater...To see which party takes the blame.

LMNO

Which in itself is so very 1985 in our time.

"The Sequester has always been Obama's fault."

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Junkenstein

It's times like this I wish I knew a lot more about stocks and shares because I'd bet limbs that there have been some really fucking weird transactions over the past few days. Probably a couple of new faces coming up into top richest lists from this.

Quote from: Pope Partum Depression on March 01, 2013, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on February 27, 2013, 09:34:38 PM
Quote from: Pope Partum Depression on February 26, 2013, 06:44:10 AM
I googled Ithaca Hours.

QuoteThe local currency in Ithaca, N.Y., is called "Ithaca Hours." They are bought with U.S. dollars and can be traded with local shops for products or services.

Any currency can be purchased with US dollars.

Well yeah, that was my point. If you have to buy it with USD, then the people selling it consider USD to be the REAL currency.

It occurs to me you could get quite rich, quite quickly by selling "Local currencies" to tourists fresh in the country. Any country.

BRB ordering printing press and plane tickets to various tourist hotspots.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Haha, the press corps are too busy pointing out Obama made a sci-fi faux pas* to take note of what this actually means.

*As the BBC notes: Jedis do mind tricks, Vulcans mind meld.

LMNO

From what I see, Obama is clearly stating what the press has been to afraid to say: The Republicans are being straight-up dicks about this whole thing.

Junkenstein

Is it just me or is the two man con played out right in front of us? Keepingit a party issue just emphasises this and keeps it divisive.

As previously noted, the end result is most likely already known, so this is just a fuck about while people get their ducks in a row. When you get the last "I've bought/sold my shit" call it'll go ahead.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.