News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

vowing to not eat like white trash

Started by zen_magick, March 15, 2009, 07:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter s.durden

Quote from: LMNO on March 18, 2009, 02:36:37 PM
Olive oil.

It's monounsaturated.

This is my option. The fats are actually good for heart and brain, so the only concern is calories.

Another option is none of this. When's the last time anyone just ate a piece of bread or a potato with nothing on it? Like it's 1400?

It get's old but it's fun to play pretend.
This space for rent.

Thurnez Isa

You guys wouldn't survive living with me
I was raised in a french Canadian environment
IE put butter on absolutely everything
or at least cook with it

When I cook potatoes I slice them into thin slices. Lightly fry them in butter, then saturate them in salt and white vinegar. MMM Just typing this makes my calorie intake go up
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Richter

Quote from: LMNO on March 18, 2009, 02:36:37 PM
Olive oil.

It's monounsaturated.

How about Canola?  It SEEMS to be about on par with Olive Oil, but I know a few oils can convert to saturated / BAD when cooked.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

Canola oil has a higher smoke point, but it just doesn't taste very good.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on March 18, 2009, 03:50:19 PM
Canola oil has a higher smoke point, but it just doesn't taste very good.

I will second that.  I grabbed 2 bottles of what I thought was peanut oil only to get home and have a bottle of canola instead.  I used it when I made eggrolls and I ended up tossing half of them in the trash. 

I always thought for oil the first choice was olive and peanut was the second. 

I just know for frying anything I will not use anything but peanut oil.  It doesn't make the food taste gross!

Sir Squid Diddimus

canola is yuck.

stick to olive.
you don't have to use 1/2c of it when you cook something.
i think a lot of food probs is portion control.
you want enough to taste but not to saturate your food.

BADGE OF HONOR

My dad keeps trying to use margarine because it's in all his mom's recipes.  I won't let him.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Squid on March 18, 2009, 03:58:04 PM
canola is yuck.

stick to olive.

Olive oil isn't useful for every application, though.  It burns at a much lower temperature and has a distinct flavor which isn't necessarily desirable.  Canola tastes neutral to me. 
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

nostalgicBadger

I use olive oil as the base for every pasta sauce I ever make. Olive oil + garlic + anything = SAUCE. I also like it on salad with vinegar, or for general use with anything not fried. Peanut oil for frying, though, since it has almost no taste of its own and a more convenient boiling point if you'd rather not get oil burned.

As for avoiding eating like white trash.. I know fast food has already been mentioned, but stay away from the Wendy's value menu. It's so tempting when you're broke, but I can't think of a more immediate cause of obesity either.
meh.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Margarine is disgusting and should be illegal.

Canola oil is pretty good for a neutral-tasting oil with a reasonably high burning point, but lately I've been really liking grapeseed oil. It's a good massage oil, too.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 18, 2009, 09:22:30 PM
Quote from: Squid on March 18, 2009, 03:58:04 PM
canola is yuck.

stick to olive.

Olive oil isn't useful for every application, though.  It burns at a much lower temperature and has a distinct flavor which isn't necessarily desirable.  Canola tastes neutral to me. 

Very Yes.  I accidentally used extra-  virgin olive oil in rice once, it tasted awful.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Today my son extracted from me a promise to never feed him anything that wasn't once alive. It reminded me of this thread.

And then I remembered salt. I haven't told him yet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

better not. with an attitude like that he might try to extract salt from the tears of his little sister or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel on March 19, 2009, 01:20:43 AM
Today my son extracted from me a promise to never feed him anything that wasn't once alive. It reminded me of this thread.

And then I remembered salt. I haven't told him yet.

Lemon juice or vinegar is an adequate salt substitute, sometimes.

LMNO
-Is intrigued with the possibility of an all-corpse meal.