News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

The dangers of miscommunication.

Started by Jasper, March 29, 2009, 07:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: CanadiansThis is a lighthouse.  Your call.

I focus on myself a lot and I focused so hard that I started noticing something.  When I'm not completely immersed in another person, I start reacting to them like they were a black box. 

People are utterly knowable, though.  The price is putting oneself aside.  There isn't a better word for it than love, but love isn't quite right because life isn't nice like that- you've got to give someone such complete attention that something like love happens if you ever want to understand them.

I've only ever understood people I loved-or hated.  Everyone else is a mystery.

Something I believe is that if you took a completely true idea and put it into words, the words are automatically less true than the idea, and being tied down by words, the truth of it dies.

That's why you have to be paying so much attention to a person that language is just a secondary channel.  When you're reading their eyes, posture, smell, and patterns is when you can really hear them. 

Because when people talk about themselves they're making things up.  I'm making this up as I go.  It's all wrong even now.

But you can fix this, and I can maybe tell you about it.  You've got to really get into people to get them at all. 

Words are weapons.  Words are lies.

:):hi5: :sad:

Mix your signals carefully. 

An eye is upon you.

I probably could have done this a lot better.

Do you understand?  Blink twice if yes.

East Coast Hustle

I like this, and I totally agree that the truth of peoples' intentions and motivations is not defined by or contained within verbal language.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Honey

I hear ya & I did blink twice!

In order to understand something, you have to be interested enough to put in the necessary energy.   It's difficult to criticize what you can't understand.  Hard too, to love or hate something without understanding.

I don't think of love & hate as true polar opposites.  Perhaps apathy or indifference are truer opposites?  Maybe misunderstanding also.  Both love & hate can make you fragile, vulnerable, human.  Creates friction.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Iason Ouabache

I know that it's very very cliche but actions do speak a lot louder than words. Words are completely meaningless if there is no action behind them. This was a good post, Felix.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jenne

This is very true for relationships you've had for a long time...face value is NOT what it's all cracked up to be.  I'm thinking specifically of my marriage, but  I know for a fact that the relationships I don't 1) take for granted and 2) go on past history rather than the here-and-now of what I'm hearing now have always worked more in my favor rather than not.

Thought-provoking, Felix.  10/10

Darth Cupcake

I don't have a lot to add here.

I really dig this, Felix.

I have a freaking degree in words, and yet I am continually frustrated by how ineffectual I find them. It's funny, too, because the more my vocabulary grows, the more I learn to manipulate language, the more frustrated I feel--much like "the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know" concept, it seems the more ways to communicate I discover, the more I realize how very limited my ability to communicate really is.

I don't know. Like I said, I don't have a lot to add, but I think this is really good.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

Words are good for a limited spectrum of things. To try and use words beyond these limits usually has  fascinating results, but invariably ends up as something other than intended.

Quote from: William S BurroughsThe old writer couldn't write anymore because he had reached the end of words, the end of what could be done with words. What then?...In Tangier the Parade Bar is closed. Shadows are falling on the mountain. 'Hurry up please. It's time.'

Dysfunctional Cunt

Very true!  I liked this a lot!!!!

Jasper

Thanks guys.  It's good to know that this problem of communication can be solved through communication.

LMNO

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Felix on March 30, 2009, 05:06:24 PM
Thanks guys.  It's good to know that this problem of communication can be solved through communication.

No! I will NOT go to second level with you!
          \

Jasper

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Felix on March 30, 2009, 05:47:56 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 30, 2009, 05:43:52 PM
Quote from: Felix on March 30, 2009, 05:40:33 PM
:lulz:

I loved that movie.

Which one was it?

Zardoz.  Sean Connery.  A strange trip.

I own it, for the express purpose of making people watch it.

I consider it to be assault with a deadly weapon.