News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

Tom Bombadil mystery solved?

Started by Cain, April 17, 2009, 01:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

leln

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 22, 2009, 09:13:01 PM
Quote from: Dr Hoopla on April 22, 2009, 09:04:46 PM
I recall that they were just going to give it to him to keep, not to take anywhere.  But they WERE afraid he would misplace it eventually... so the problem wouldn't be solved, just delayed.

Yeah, that's what I thought... like the ring (and everything surrounding it) were so completely inconsequential to Tom that he couldn't be arsed to remember it. That supports, I think, the idea that he was Middle Earth (and unaffected by what happens to the people in it) or he was some very powerful being, well beyond the level of Gandalf, Saruman  etc.

Then again, it could just be a random character that Tolkien threw in there for kicks.

From what I remember, there were a couple reasons the council of Elrond didn't send the ring to Bombadil for safe keeping. One was that yes, he might forget why he was supposed to keep it. The ring didn't work since it "ha[d] no power over him," so he'd never fully understand what all the fuss was about. Another issue was mobility. He could have concealed the ring for a while, but not forever. If Sauron's forces continued to grow, they would eventually swamp Middle Earth and Sauron would have been able to locate the ring. "Gee, the only place I haven't searched is in this dude's lily pond. Fetch the goblin grenades." I'm pretty sure that either Gandalf or Elrond says that if that happened, Bombadil would hold out for a time, and then fall, last as he was first, and true darkness would come to Middle Earth (sorry, crappy paraphrase). I think the council also decided that giving the ring to Bombadil would make it impossible to destroy it. They had to act before Sauron had fortified Mordor too much for them to get to Mount Doom.

I haven't read the Silmarillion in years, so I don't recall the timeline for the Maiar. But if Bombadil was one of the most primal natural/life forces in the hierarchy, he was probably older and in some ways stronger than they were. Then again, there's the tradeoff with brute strength versus mobility. The wizards (who as I recall were Maiar of varying rank) weren't as all-out powerful, but they moved freely and exerted influence over comparatively massive swaths of territory. Bombadil could take on just about anything that wandered into his yard, but he'd never step beyond it. I need to check The Fellowship of the Ring to see if he ever talks about his borders changing in response to humans, hobbits etc.

The arguments about Tom being the Witch King seemed pretty patched together, but I'd need to reread it when I'm not as tired to comment in any depth. I need to go sleep and dig out the books in the morning. On a side note, fuck you all, now I feel compelled to reread everything.
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."

The Good Reverend Roger

Tom Bombadil was a filthy fucking hippie.  He should have been handed over to the fucking Nazgul.

Fucking draft-dodgers.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 23, 2009, 02:40:10 AM
Tom Bombadil was a filthy fucking hippie.  He should have been handed over to the fucking Nazgul.

Fucking draft-dodgers.

:lol:

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Fucking draft-dodgers.

:spittake:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Richter

Fucking draft-dodgers.

Fairly certain  JRR didn't mdoel the Shire after Canada, but the implciations are HILLARIOUS.
:wade:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

hooplala

I read somewhere that the Shire was based on Kentucky to some degree.  No troll.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

AFK

It pretty much can relate to any rural area where the people predominately work the land for most of the day and spend the rest of the day drinking and songing.  So yeah, Kentucky makes sense. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

A lot of the surnames for Hobbits were taken from rural Kentucky.  Underhill, Boffin, etc.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Richter

As far as writers who had their work / POV affected by WWI / WWII, it's interesting that Tolkein held to the concept of idealized pastoral living.  He gets downright T.S. Elliot AFA Mordor / Isengard / Scoured Shire
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Bruno

Formerly something else...