News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Bill Nye booed in Texas

Started by Dr Goofy, April 23, 2009, 07:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvidia

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

the last yatto

Quote from: Zenpeanut on April 23, 2009, 06:25:13 PM
But seriously, I know states can't legally secede, but can we just kick them out?

I believe Texas is the only one allowed to do so, as apart of their deal with Honest Abe
for joining the Union over the Rebels

http://www.texassecede.com/faq.htm
QuoteThe South's rejoining the Union at the point of a bayonet in the late 1860s didn't prove secession is "not an option" or unlawful.  It only affirmed that violent coercion can be used—even by governments (if unrestrained)—to rob men of their very lives, liberty, and property.[6]

It bears repeating that the united States are "united" explicitly on the principle that "governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed" and "whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends [i.e., protecting life, liberty, and property], it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government" and "when a long train of abuses and usurpations...evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is, evidently, a movement currently to try to introduce a secession bill for eastern Oregon and Washington... not from the union, but simply to form a new state. I'm completely in favor. They are functionally a different people on that side of the Cascades, they should have their own state and identity.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Corvidia

Quote from: Yάttᶿ on April 23, 2009, 11:22:34 PM
Quote from: Zenpeanut on April 23, 2009, 06:25:13 PM
But seriously, I know states can't legally secede, but can we just kick them out?

I believe Texas is the only one allowed to do so, as apart of their deal with Honest Abe
for joining the Union over the Rebels

http://www.texassecede.com/faq.htm
QuoteThe South's rejoining the Union at the point of a bayonet in the late 1860s didn't prove secession is "not an option" or unlawful.  It only affirmed that violent coercion can be used—even by governments (if unrestrained)—to rob men of their very lives, liberty, and property.[6]

It bears repeating that the united States are "united" explicitly on the principle that "governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed" and "whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends [i.e., protecting life, liberty, and property], it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government" and "when a long train of abuses and usurpations...evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."
Actually, they can't succeed. I'll have to go find the link, but that wasn't part of the deal. It can split into four states if it likes, but can't leave the union. Why would Lincoln give them that option when there had just been a *war* about it? Texans are strange, strange people but they're not politically inept (Bush is a carpet bagger, while LBJ was born and bred in the Hill Country of Texas).
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

the last yatto

Why would Lincoln give them that option
he didn't he just didn't require them to change their state Constitution
thats why Waco is included in the brainwashing kit

@nigel thought it was eastern washington and to counterbalance the elephants would allow DC a few seats of donkeys
while it makes sense so say king country/seattle doesnt set policy for the entire state.
it does fubar things like food production, as the new state would be land locked yet growing things like apples for export
also would almost encourage the hong kong takeover of western ports
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Yάttᶿ on April 26, 2009, 12:11:03 AM
Why would Lincoln give them that option
he didn't he just didn't require them to change their state Constitution
thats why Waco is included in the brainwashing kit

@nigel thought it was eastern washington and to counterbalance the elephants would allow DC a few seats of donkeys
while it makes sense so say king country/seattle doesnt set policy for the entire state.
it does fubar things like food production, as the new state would be land locked yet growing things like apples for export
also would almost encourage the hong kong takeover of western ports

It's both Oregon and Washington, and a lot of landlocked states (which is most of them) export food just fine.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the last yatto

you must be confused i ment fubar things for the old state

The Good Reverend Roger

Hahahaha!

I love this decade.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on April 23, 2009, 01:07:05 PM
He was trying to pick a fight.  Or he was an idiot for not knowing his audience.   :lulz:

If Bill Nye picked a fight, there'd be eviscerated Texans all over the fucking landscape.

TEST.  DO FUCKING NEVER.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Freeky

I remember Bill Nye! He was (and prolly still is) awesome!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on January 05, 2010, 03:13:50 AM

Is.  Bill Nye is alive and well, and doing good work.

The guy has probably done more for propagating scientific thought to the layman than any other person ever.

Thurnez Isa

Good thing they walked out
The moon is not a big ball of light in the sky
who believes that nonsense....
:lulz:

also how does the moon reflecting the sun's light mean you can't believe in gods
if im reading it correct he was just pointing out the bible is not a scientific document
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2010, 03:15:31 AM

The guy has probably done more for propagating scientific thought to the layman than any other person ever.

Sagan?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 05, 2010, 03:18:09 AM
who believes that nonsense....

Texas, most of Florida, and the greater Phoenix area.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2010, 03:15:31 AM

he did "Eyes of Nye" for a while
which was more geared towards adults but had all the air of his old kid show... so it was awesome
I haven't seen it for a while so i dont know if he still does it
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante