News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

New Testament?

Started by hooplala, April 23, 2009, 04:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

This is in connection with the PD2006 idea from a while back...

Would anyone be interested in assisting me (or just taking the ball and running, as I am a bit busy) in the creation of a Discordian bible?  The PD as it is could be a sort of "old testament", and then we could write new shit and new revelations, that may even contradict the old stuff ... or better yet, definitely contradict the old stuff.  It would be the New Testament.  Maybe we could even write some stuff like psalms...

Anyone interested?

And yes, please note that I had this idea on the 23rd!  ZOMG PINEALSHIT!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Richter

Could be fun.  I see lots of fun to be had in producing other supporting or contradictory Gospels, Letters to various other Religions / peoples, and Dead Sea Scrolls for this, as well as the main chunk.

What were you visualizing for the main testament?  Like a springboard off of the "Life and times of Payne" sort of jizz?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

hooplala

Yes. something like that.  Obviously the regular New Testament has Jesus as the focus, and we don't really have a Jesus figure that could come and tell what the story was really supposed to be about, so maybe the first step would be to create a Jesus of our own?  Not a literal Bizarro Jesus (although that could be amusing), but an actual new creation we all had a part in.  We could make a history for him or her and then have completely contradictory stories.

Perhaps something like the Bill Brasky stories?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Richter

A central idea / figure / history / tone we play off of would be helpful.  Even if a few people write differnet assorted parts, they could then be cobbled together for authentic New TEst. style construction 

I'd be down with writing the Gospel of St. Dick.   
"This is that whiche I hath seen of "HIS" lyfe, what I hath remembered of it, and it is moftly naught bulshite.  I am a fisher of sales who seeks greater net prophet."

We need an ineffable jaunt to the bizzare for miracles / parables. 
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

LMNO

One suggestion: it should be much shorter than the bible.

A single gospel would be preferred.  Actually, if it was like the Gospel of Thomas, Judas, or Mary, where it was mostly fragments, with large parts missing, that would be kind of cool.

Just avoid the tl;dr trap.

hooplala

Well the PD is already considerably shorter than the old testament of the Bible.

I dunno, I'm a little tired of the current tl;dr mindset, and am not really interested in pandering to it.  Of course, there could always be multiple versions too...

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

the other anonymous

A recent episode of CSI pwns this thread.

Or not. Whichever you prefer.

-toa,
the church of um... i forgot; it had a turtle...

hooplala

Quote from: the other anonymous on April 23, 2009, 05:42:08 PM
A recent episode of CSI pwns this thread.

Or not. Whichever you prefer.

-toa,
the church of um... i forgot; it had a turtle...

:|

Also... 'pwns'?  What is this, 2007?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Richter

Quote from: Dr Hoopla on April 23, 2009, 05:24:41 PM
Well the PD is already considerably shorter than the old testament of the Bible.

I dunno, I'm a little tired of the current tl;dr mindset, and am not really interested in pandering to it.  Of course, there could always be multiple versions too...

Like I said, loads of (heretical?) miscellany could be fit around the main "canon" portion. :mrgreen:

the other anonymous

Quote from: Richter on April 23, 2009, 05:54:13 PM
Quote from: Dr Hoopla on April 23, 2009, 05:24:41 PM

Like I said, loads of (heretical?) miscellany could be fit around the main "canon" portion. :mrgreen:

too heretical;dr
too misc;dr

-toa,
too lame;dr

hooplala

Yes, we all find you very amusing TOA, now please move along to threads were people aren't trying to get something accomplished.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Telarus

Emperor Norton? I mean, some spags already pilgrimage to his gravesite.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

hooplala

Shit, I can't believe I didn't think of him...  :oops:

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Payne

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Dr Hoopla on April 23, 2009, 07:04:49 PM
Shit, I can't believe I didn't think of him...  :oops:

LAWL, I thought you had intentionally skipped him since he's so familiar!!  :lulz:

However, I like the idea of an inspired work of what happened to him during his 'exile'... perhaps a trip to the wilderness? A trek into Limbo? being taken up in Eris' chariot to see all the bullshit that rains down upon mankind?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson