Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

RIP, Geocities!

Started by Iason Ouabache, April 25, 2009, 06:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

http://www.geocities.com/tribhis/kallistagospel.html
The Gospel According to St. Kallista

Malaclypse The Younger, the great non-prophet of the Discordian Society, was vexed sorely and surely, for he felt his time had come. His number was up. In this trying hour, he had not the foresight to remember that times like these were probably the result of his God, Our Lady Eris pulling his leg or yanking his chain-whichever was easier to grab at the moment. He fell down upon his knees shaking with tears. He cried out to Eris.

Eris laughed...
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

You know
I bet I could RIP the whole of those googe search results and host them on rapidshare...

Requia ☣

Apparently google only serves 1000 pages.  And if I'm gonna be anglocentric, there's no English past ~350 in this case.

Requia ☣

There is nothing here worth saving except the pic of Suu...

screw it.

the last yatto

Cramulus

if you have the skill to copy all the discordian sites from geocities, I think you should do it

Discordian Historians from the future thank you in advance

Requia ☣

Yeah, what the hell, i already wrote the script (the GNU toolkit is a truly blessed thing).

I'll pull a spare hard drive and reformat it later, could probably fit all of geocities on one of the 750s.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Requia on May 12, 2009, 08:54:31 PM
There is nothing here worth saving except the pic of Suu...

Correct!  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cetaphobia

I love old sites, I wish they wayback machine stored things from geocities. We'll have the cache for a while on google, though.

Sites should never be taken down. I will never see so much net.art because of sites being destroyed. :(

I mourn for Netochka Nezvanova.
We looked for scapegoats to blame.
Many people tried to blame it all on a vast free-Mason conspiracy,
Or Benjamin Franklin and his experiments with electricity.

Lies

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on April 25, 2009, 06:39:24 PM
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2241092/yahoo-closing-geocities

QuoteYahoo will close Geocities, the free web hosting service it paid $4bn for 10 years ago.

"Sorry, new Geocities accounts are no longer available," read a message on the homepage on Friday.

In 1999, when Yahoo purchased Geocities, it was the third most visited site on the web behind AOL and Yahoo, with 19 million unique visitors in December 1998, according to a Comscore Media Metrix report. Now Geocities is slightly outdated in the current Web 2.0 era, giving users no way to integrate their sites with third-party applications.

The closure is also evidence that the revenue model for hosting free web sites is difficult to sustain, especially in the current economic climate.

Yahoo has encouraged Geocities members to start upgrading to the company's subscription-based Web Hosting service, although it assured them in a statement that they will still be able to access their sites and Geocities services until "later this year".

Let's all raise a toast in the memory of the home of the shittiest websites in the history of the interweb.  Who knows where all the crackpots and 12 year-olds will post their stupid shit from here on out.

- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cetaphobia on May 12, 2009, 09:23:22 PM

:eek:

met her at the eu-gene generative art mailinglist.

what a bitch.

... for an art project

or something.

brilliant troll though
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Messier Undertree

The 90s internet is finally over?

I'll miss midi background music, animated gifs, guestbooks, webrings and entire sites dedicated to MSPaint pictures of celebrities eating testicles. :cry:

Cetaphobia

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 13, 2009, 12:05:19 AM
Quote from: Cetaphobia on May 12, 2009, 09:23:22 PM

:eek:

met her at the eu-gene generative art mailinglist.

what a bitch.

... for an art project

or something.

brilliant troll though

For an art history class, I focused on net.art and I'm really upset I never got to work with her software or talk to her. Er, them. They'd send out different female models for when they did conferences, to pretend to be Netochka.

If you pissed them off, "she" would revoke your license to their software.  :lulz: So yeah, pretty bitchy, great troll.
We looked for scapegoats to blame.
Many people tried to blame it all on a vast free-Mason conspiracy,
Or Benjamin Franklin and his experiments with electricity.