News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A machine developed for military interrogation applications that simulates telepathy by synchronizing the activity of corresponding neurons in two brains loses its military application when it is preemptively outlawed by a set of international agreements banning the use of 'neuroelectric interrogation devices', and after the plans leak, doing a mind-meld becomes a popular means of entertainment among young people. Because the technology cannot be made particularly more useful -- recordings don't work because the feedback between the two brains during the early stages of the sync are what keep the information from being hopelessly distorted and connectome mapping hasn't yielded enough information to make extracting thoughts without the use of a human interpreter feasible -- there are few crack-downs and those that do occur are mostly symbolic. It gains the status that LSD did during the 60s and 70s. The most interesting and mind-warping part of the experience is the feeling of shared memories -- any memories that are triggered while connected are experienced by both parties, and often memories from one party trigger memories in the other, causing a chain reaction orgy of distorted memories where the origin is unclear. However, because of the way that memory retrieval involves memory re-encoding, it turns out that this process warps memories and inserts false memories as a side-effect of the normal distortion; this is not immediately clear to most users, because the distorted memories are subtle. However, years down the line, vivid shared memories of things that never happened (to *anyone*) become cultural touchstones and the substrate around which popular media is constructed -- and these memories are the result of a game of telephone played mostly in the heads of those few people who mind-melded with the largest number of other people; i.e., the super-connectors of the network of mind-meld enthusiasts passed on portions of a rapidly-mutating emergent synthetic set of remembered experiences that decades later became extremely important.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

minuspace

A mockumentary about The Candyman and his relationship to bees IRL.  Turns out there's nothing sinister at all about him, he just grew-up in a circus and learned this bee act for a side show.  The reason he's called the Candyman is because he uses sugar water to train the bees to stay on him: we learn their wings get wet so they can't fly, and how they stick around to clean the sugar off each other, and other such demystifying techniques.  Then he dies of something seemingly unrelated.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The reader follows a member of the team inside the CIA tasked with infiltrating WoW guilds suspected of being fronts for terrorist planning, as he discovers that the guild he has infiltrated is not in fact a front for terrorism proper but instead a front for the planning commission of an ongoing invasion and infiltration of earth by alien mind-control parasites. Over time, he realizes that the reason the rest of the team hasn't uncovered similar operations is because they have already been taken over, and that the group he is infiltrating is in fact the group he shares his office with.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Meunster

The next wittgenstein realizes language is flawed, and invents a new system communication that is perfect, but can't convert other people because he has to use language to describe it and language is flawed.
Poe's law ;)

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

An "Blair Withc"-style amatuer film crew making a film about civics discovers that the real reason why the Republicans talk about Jesus so much is to draw attention away from the fact that they actually worship Mammon, and that this is also the reason why so many black people are executed, because they are Mammon's favorite sacrifice. The crew films several party meetings in secrecy but is eventually discovered and shot down by submachinegun wielding party members as they try to run away. The camera falls down a storm drain after it is dropped. The final expository text at the end explains that no one was charged with their murder due to some bs about stand your ground laws and their film equipment being a "hoax bomb".
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Rococo Modem Basilisk

All the politicians who claim to talk to God are actually telling the truth -- God is entertaining himself by constructing increasingly absurd american presidential elections, by making crazy people rich and pitting them against each other in public.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on October 06, 2015, 09:17:49 PM
All the politicians who claim to talk to God are actually telling the truth -- God is entertaining himself by constructing increasingly absurd american presidential elections, by making crazy people rich and pitting them against each other in public.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Ok, had an idea earlier tonight. What of somebody did a commentary track to a let's play video? And then somebody else did a commentary track to that commentary track? Sort of like Senzaki's annotated translation of Fugai's commentary on Genro's commentary to "The Iron Flute" except with videogames instead of abstruse eastern philosophy

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Meunster

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on October 07, 2015, 06:42:57 AM
Ok, had an idea earlier tonight. What of somebody did a commentary track to a let's play video? And then somebody else did a commentary track to that commentary track? Sort of like Senzaki's annotated translation of Fugai's commentary on Genro's commentary to "The Iron Flute" except with videogames instead of abstruse eastern philosophy

I've seen it before, but not done well.
Poe's law ;)

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A detective investigating a cold case orders a body be de-interred, but (to everyone's surprise) the body is gone. Then, people involved in the de-interring die one by one of 'natural causes' and get buried in the same cemetery. The detective investigates, and discovers that the cemetary is actually a front: aliens are stealing corpses and liquefying them in order to sell to formaldehyde junkies on their planet's black market; on their race, formaldehyde has many of the same properties as heroin does on us. Eventually, the detective manages to shut the whole operation down by using information extracted from a grave digger, who is himself a formaldehyde junky working for the syndicate in exchange for hits of embalming fluid. A few weeks later, the government of this alien planet formally introduces itself to the UN.

minuspace

Turns out he was too $hort 2 B that, though his best friend's father had been one for his whole life, legally; so also had his son, though not under the same circumstances.  Something about a test meant for apostrophes, or what have you along those lines.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Comedy Skit: A fake commercial advertising Jell-o or some similar gelatin dessert as being the ideal snack for a superbowl party due to the fact that it's made out of pig skin.

axod

PSA on W-X FM from the future, warning against new trend of companies to physically incorporate it's members: with CEO literally serving as head, CFA as heart, and various ground-level soldiers functioning as appendages, fingers, etc.  Announcement turns into publicity for treatment of corporate phantom limb syndrome.  Coda is a jingle for prosumer wood-chipper called "The Scutching Shaft", replete with blacksploitation audio samples.
just this

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A spy leaks government secrets immediately before embarking on a two-week cruise under an assumed name. While there, he kills and assumes the identity of a stowaway drifter from a country with no extradition treaty. However, a nonovirus epidemic breaks out during the last two days of the cruise and the CDC comes in to investigate and aid in quarantine. He needs to escape CDC quarantine and treatment (and news crews) and get overseas before anybody notices that he isn't who he claims to be.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

As Dora grows older, the delusions of being watched and her hallucinations of voices shouting orders at her disappear; they are attributed to childhood schizophrenia. She translates her superior language skills to a position in the archeology department of her alma mater, Miskatonic, and a side job with the CIA, who is willing to pay for all the arrangements the university won't pay for so long as she keeps an eye on what the Russians are doing and reports back -- her handlers seem to think that Putin is searching for an out of place artifact, some kind of ancient alien super-weapon, and they want to know at once if she finds it. However, she begins to fear that her madness is coming back. She hides it, obviously; both of her positions are very lucrative and she'd lose both if her competence and the truth of her eye-witness reports were questioned. But, she keeps waking up in the middle of the night, feeling like she's being watched. She has nightmares about dark presences holding her down in her bed. Following the Russians, she ends up on a small, unaffiliated island in the middle of the Pacific ocean, and watches as her colleages from the other side of the world go into a labyrinthine cave system in the centre of the island, hidden from view from the shore by brush. The flora and fauna here are strange, and clearly they have evolved on this lonely island isolated from the greater world outside for many generations. Inside the cave system, her paranoia grows stronger. She hears screams, and rushes to their source only to hear laughing. She becomes lost. Shadowy humanoid forms gather around her. "BITER NO BITING", Dora the Explorer screams, as she is devoured by the hungerers from the dark.