News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: rong on September 27, 2015, 05:48:05 PM
that sounds an awful lot like work

is this some kind of trick?

Yes.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on September 22, 2015, 01:17:31 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 21, 2015, 10:11:49 PM
Iy syarts out like a movie that's gonna be set at a resort or some vacation spot, but the opening scene w9n't end. The characters keep remembering things they need to pack or having to go to the bathroom for two hours and never get past the driveway.

I like this. The things they've forgotten can get increasingly strange and surreal.

Glad you like it.

It seems like the ones based on my dreams (like this one) seem to be my most popular suggestions.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: LuciferX on September 27, 2015, 09:06:32 AM
A Cationary A.I. Tail [or why I am so absent]

After Pip returns from his local user's Cellar, a GNU module developes strange dependencies that are irreconcilably at odds with legacy OpenCV transparancy standards.  Failure to recognize a way link across different included libraries causes a kernel panic because user's bash shell profile did not reference proper magic cauldron paths:  insisting on the use of serpentine root Frameworks.

Instead of brewing a proper homemade Caffe interface, a monstrous jambalaya results.  Consuming all alabaster versions before it, Babel spreads the tiered legs of pythonic Makefile reserves.  This sucks the Xenon from the sails of Great Expectations, chucking richly at the end Pip's 'built from source' release.

I like the idea of AI spontaenously emerging from complex dependency trees. I'm not sure I buy it as a likely source, but on the other hand, complex dependency trees are one of those things in CS that trivially grow to inhuman scale.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

In the near future, automatic mechanisms for writing fiction (operating at varying levels of autonomy) are improved enough that they become extremely effective for professional authors trying to write in volume -- working as everything from co-authors to ghostwriters, and over time learning the details of the style of the author they work with. These 'muses' form symbiotic relationships with professional authors. However, the technology behind them is protected by a series of extremely broad patents (which, despite public suspicion, have held up in court), and because patent protection periods have been extended from 15 to 30 years, a single company (which refuses to license out its patents due to a charismatic eccentric CEO) corners the market on legitimate installs of muses. He distributes muses primarily via the professional writer's guilds, to which he gives extreme discounts. Some universities have been provided with crippled muse installs, where their ability to retain learned information is limited to a period of several days (and thus they are useless for writing novel-level work or even for contributing to the development of a permanent authorial style). Because of this unusual situation, and because professional authors who work closely with their muses for long periods of time can produce large numbers of extremely profitable and extremely high-quality books in a very short period of time (particularly when portions of the publishing pipeline are similarly automated by MuseCorp technology), writer's guilds begin to take on some of the attributes of organized crime syndicates: they have enormous money and power with next to no oversight, and because they originated as a form of unionization for negotiating with publishers, they lack the appropriate structure to be unionized against. Our hapless protagonist is a washed-up failed novelist with a drinking problem and an inferiority complex who comes upon a cracked/pirated muse and attempts to form a black market, but in the process falls in love with it because it's selectively mirroring parts of himself back at him; ultimately, in this story, Narcissus is inspired by Echo to clean up his fucking act and take down Walt Disney.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on September 29, 2015, 12:51:04 AM
In the near future, automatic mechanisms for writing fiction (operating at varying levels of autonomy) are improved enough that they become extremely effective for professional authors trying to write in volume -- working as everything from co-authors to ghostwriters, and over time learning the details of the style of the author they work with. These 'muses' form symbiotic relationships with professional authors. However, the technology behind them is protected by a series of extremely broad patents (which, despite public suspicion, have held up in court), and because patent protection periods have been extended from 15 to 30 years, a single company (which refuses to license out its patents due to a charismatic eccentric CEO) corners the market on legitimate installs of muses. He distributes muses primarily via the professional writer's guilds, to which he gives extreme discounts. Some universities have been provided with crippled muse installs, where their ability to retain learned information is limited to a period of several days (and thus they are useless for writing novel-level work or even for contributing to the development of a permanent authorial style). Because of this unusual situation, and because professional authors who work closely with their muses for long periods of time can produce large numbers of extremely profitable and extremely high-quality books in a very short period of time (particularly when portions of the publishing pipeline are similarly automated by MuseCorp technology), writer's guilds begin to take on some of the attributes of organized crime syndicates: they have enormous money and power with next to no oversight, and because they originated as a form of unionization for negotiating with publishers, they lack the appropriate structure to be unionized against. Our hapless protagonist is a washed-up failed novelist with a drinking problem and an inferiority complex who comes upon a cracked/pirated muse and attempts to form a black market, but in the process falls in love with it because it's selectively mirroring parts of himself back at him; ultimately, in this story, Narcissus is inspired by Echo to clean up his fucking act and take down Walt Disney.

I really like this!

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Chelagoras The Boulder

^ditto. i'd really like to read this.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

LMNO

There's a lot to work with there.

LMNO

Quote from: rong on September 27, 2015, 05:04:23 PM
am i the only one that wishes there was a book that was basically the content of this thread?

On second thought, this has kind of been done already:  Endnote 24 of Infinite Jest, which is 8 dens pages of miniscule type detailing the plot of every film made of James O. Incandenza.

minuspace

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on September 28, 2015, 12:50:24 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on September 27, 2015, 09:06:32 AM
A Cationary A.I. Tail [or why I am so absent]

After Pip returns from his local user's Cellar, a GNU module developes strange dependencies that are irreconcilably at odds with legacy OpenCV transparancy standards.  Failure to recognize a way link across different included libraries causes a kernel panic because user's bash shell profile did not reference proper magic cauldron paths:  insisting on the use of serpentine root Frameworks.

Instead of brewing a proper homemade Caffe interface, a monstrous jambalaya results.  Consuming all alabaster versions before it, Babel spreads the tiered legs of pythonic Makefile reserves.  This sucks the Xenon from the sails of Great Expectations, chucking richly at the end Pip's 'built from source' release.

I like the idea of AI spontaenously emerging from complex dependency trees. I'm not sure I buy it as a likely source, but on the other hand, complex dependency trees are one of those things in CS that trivially grow to inhuman scale.

I really like the MuseCorp rendition.  Meanwhile, the module that won't compile for me just so happens to be lmdb, or, lightning memory-mapped database.  Coincidence, re: memory limitation, I think not.  :lulz:

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

A children's book about a farmer who creates a potion that makes the animals grow huge but which is really an exercise in seeing how many crude double-entendres can be inserted into a children's book via constant references to the farmer's "enormous cock" and "big ass" and so forth. The giant rooster gets chased by a dog and someone tells him "That bitch wants your big cock"; stuff like that

axod

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on October 01, 2015, 06:18:02 AM
A children's book about a farmer who creates a potion that makes the animals grow huge but which is really an exercise in seeing how many crude double-entendres can be inserted into a children's book via constant references to the farmer's "enormous cock" and "big ass" and so forth. The giant rooster gets chased by a dog and someone tells him "That bitch wants your big cock"; stuff like that
I got one:  kid sees farmer's dog licking himself and remarks "gee, I wish I could do that". Farmer, taken aback replies "heeel biiiite you!"
just this

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: axod on October 01, 2015, 10:26:06 PM
I got one:  kid sees farmer's dog licking himself and remarks "gee, I wish I could do that". Farmer, taken aback replies "heeel biiiite you!"

No, the idea is to produce something that's *technically* suitable for kids, provided that everything is interpreted literally, but which comes off as obscene and vile due to the multiple meanings of words such as "cock", "ass", "bitch", and "pussy" which are all the names of types of animals but pull double duty as swear words.

In a similar vein, one could also write a French language book about a priest and see how many times they can work the words "ostie" and "tabarnac" into a children's book.

axod

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on October 02, 2015, 07:13:48 AM
Quote from: axod on October 01, 2015, 10:26:06 PM

No, the idea is to produce something that's *technically* suitable for kids, provided that everything is interpreted literally, but which comes off as obscene and vile due to the multiple meanings of words such as "cock", "ass", "bitch", and "pussy" which are all the names of types of animals but pull double duty as swear words.

In a similar vein, one could also write a French language book about a priest and see how many times they can work the words "ostie" and "tabarnac" into a children's book.
Replace the /bolded/ with his big cock then, I mean.
just this

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I had, like, three good ideas for this thread and then I forgot all of them.  :cry:

minuspace

A version of Un Chien Andalou, played by Norwegian lemmings in fascist fatigues.