News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on February 09, 2017, 07:45:14 PM
Zombie apocalypse but with a twist. The returned dead are not particularly zombified but are much as they were in life. However, since most of the dead are from pre-modern times this still presents a problem. The Earth is overrun by undead barbarians.

As a more heavyhanded version of this, it could be explicitly caused by a politician's promise to bring back traditional values and/or some nonexistent golden age. (I can't be the only one who thinks of that line in Gilgamesh about the gates of hell being opened to let the dead go up and eat the living when I hear politicians say things like that)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Bathtub Jim

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 09, 2017, 08:29:03 PM
Was just now thinking of Cronenbergs's Secret Weapons and "meta-adrenaline".  Instead of an actual compound the "meta" element indicates how the adrenaline is elicited from the prescribed environment and particular situations into which subjects are injected.  The situations are contrived to instatiate a set of trigger sequences, repeatedly and in a controlled environment.  Once firmly encoded and reinforced, triggers can be translated onto external environments. Once activated, subjects will "independently" seek out firing them in sequence.  Sort of like targeted search results, on a grand scale.

This is starting to sound a little like Tyrone Slothrop's rocket erections in Gravity's Rainbow... or maybe erection controlled rockets just happen to be on the mind...
Opossums have opposable thumbs

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Terminator without the robots. Skynet is now an insane human general who sends a ruthless human commando back in time to stop the birth of the leader of the resistance.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Bathtub Jim

A suburb with many amenities including a grocery store, restaurants, boutique shops, etc, marketed itself as an urban paradise away from the city. It's all going fine and swell, including their attempts to prevent affordable housing or any housing under a couple six figure salaries. However, trouble begins when a strange man who appears to be homeless starts hanging around their neighborhood. Suspicion and witch hunting ensue. The lead witch hunter, a woman eager to impress the neighborhood with her fervor for stamping out poverty, starts to gaze at the stranger in a way she hadn't anticipated. Eventually, she falls for the mysterious homeless man and a forbidden love ensues and the couple fight off the ravaging neighbors and home owner's association. Eventually, the neighborhood takes its rage out on other poor people in the "urban" suburb and begin firing the workers in the restaurants and stores, leaving just a shell of the neighborhood to remain. The forbidden love of the couple blossoms, so they move even though no one will buy her house in the neighborhood.

Freeky

A basic Adam Sandler movie, but everyone acts rationally to all the bigoted bullshit he spews and hates him.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on February 10, 2017, 08:08:03 AM
Terminator without the robots. Skynet is now an insane human general who sends a ruthless human commando back in time to stop the birth of the leader of the resistance.

An insane human general nukes the past in order to make the timeline he lives in completely untethered from history, in order to prevent people from hearing about communism. This kills the man.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

minuspace

Man attempting to actualize virtual world embroiled in attempted double ending sale for property development of Raymond Chandlers Requiem for a Dream

Bathtub Jim

None of these stories have love elements in them. Don't you know LOVE HAS TO BE IN EVERY STORY?!

A demon in the pits of hell gets dumped by her mongoloied beefy six armed hunk. She's real bummed and wants to cause some havoc and dispair to life her spirits, so she heads to earth. Assuming a human form, she fucks with people such as by butt-dialing spouses while the other spouse is making loud love to a paramour, and other fun diddies like that. Anyway, she meets a man who is just completely immune to her fuckery. The usual foibles exploited to cause torment do not work on this man, he is immune to her, and she finds this irresistible. They spend more time together, and they start to fall for each other. The more time she spends on earth, the weaker her powers become. Demons attempt to take her from him, but she refuses to go. Eventually, she struggles to choose mortality and weakness over eternal strength. In the end, I've yet to decide if the man is so mortified at her demonic nature he flees, or if she decides to leave him because she decides to blaze out on their own, or they stick together.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A machine is developed that can see the past. (An image is projected of the machine's current location some time in the past.) It operates by splitting photons into pairs of entangled photons, one of which is unstuck in time. Unfortunately, breaking photons into entangled pairs halves their energy; as a result, every time the machine is used, the past becomes more red and less bright.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Bathtub Jim on February 11, 2017, 01:27:10 PM
None of these stories have love elements in them. Don't you know LOVE HAS TO BE IN EVERY STORY?!

The stupid love element is what ruins every single movie. It's never enough for you to see world-ending cataclysm or embark on epic adventures. No, you also have to find Twoo Wuv™ while you're at it. Because... reasons, I guess. Stupidest convention in Hollywood.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Bathtub Jim

Quote from: V3X on February 11, 2017, 04:02:00 PM

The stupid love element is what ruins every single movie. It's never enough for you to see world-ending cataclysm or embark on epic adventures. No, you also have to find Twoo Wuv™ while you're at it. Because... reasons, I guess. Stupidest convention in Hollywood.

That's because nobody cares if people struggle alone and accomplish something. Nothing is real unless its shared, sheesh.

Bathtub Jim

QuoteThat's because nobody cares if people struggle alone and accomplish something. Nothing is real unless its shared, sheesh.

I'm only being slightly sarcastic here

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A mathematician engages in an ultimately futile legal battle to make it possible to marry the concept of infinity. In the end, he settles for marrying Cantor's Continuity Conjecture, but after this harrowing experience, he was never the same.

Bathtub Jim

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 11, 2017, 09:29:11 PM

A mathematician engages in an ultimately futile legal battle to make it possible to marry the concept of infinity. In the end, he settles for marrying Cantor's Continuity Conjecture, but after this harrowing experience, he was never the same.

3.14/🍮 Would watch only if Patrick Stewart plays the plaintiff lawyer like he did for Data when arguing for Data's humanity in Star Trek: TNG

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Retooling of The DaVinci Code to be about the descendants of L. Ron Hubbard rather than the descendants of Jesus. Connections to Newton and Da Vinci having a hand in the conspiracy are still made despite the anachronism and the fact that Hubbards descendants pretty much know they're his descendants; it doesn't have to make sense, it just has to make as much sense as The DaVinci Code