News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Ancient Tibeten Text Advises Buddhists to “Grow A Pair”

Started by Telarus, June 08, 2009, 12:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://www.muckflash.com/?p=440

:lulz:

hasa, TB -5 June 2009- Tibetan scholars researching Buddhist texts from the 14th century were startled recently when a new interpretation of a puzzling religious text by revered Buddhist theologian and thinker Tsongkhapa (1357–1419) revealed a stark style and message never before seen in the Buddhist world. After over 35 years of study, scholars have determined that a document found 100 years ago by British explorers, but only recently authenticated as an original work by Tsongkhapa, contains a singular message: "Sack Up."

mantra-book-ad_57

The text, written in painstakingly detailed calligraphy on fine vellum, is a series of repeating characters over 50 pages long, with 20 separately inked illustrations. Despite the text's elaborate details, the multi-national research team studying the document at Tibet University in Lhasa determined that the entire piece contains only variations of the same six characters - ༀབཛྲསཏྭཧཱུཾ

Translated literally, the characters are an imperative, "Tense the Man Within," but after cross referencing the text with contemporary examples from elsewhere in the Buddhist world, the research team determined the the phrase was a well-known colloquialism common in the elite intellectual and ruling classes of 15th century South Asia: "life orbs up." Correcting for language drift and context, however, the research team concluded that he most logical modern equivalent is "sack up."

Dr. Jan Fullreich, professor of Sino-Tibetan Studies at the University of Stuttgart and leader of the research team, says that the disconnect between the figurative language and the literal translation isn't surprising. "All languages drift over time to create new lexical constructions and meanings. So much so that idiomatic expressions are often incomprehensible after only a generation or two," he said. "In this case, the text of Tsongkhapa means, in the parlance of his time, to 'grow a pair.'"

Some Buddhist scholars are less certain about the findings. Dr. Gennifer Broem, Chief Administrator of the Tse Chen Ling Center for Tibetan Buddhist Studies in San Francisco, insists that such an interpretation would run counter to the tenets of Tsongkhapa's sect of Dgelugspa Buddhism, whose contemporary leaders include the Dalai Lama. "Dgelugspa does not condone the self centered aggression in phrases like 'sack up,' whatever that may mean to any generation," she said. "Peace and selfless enlightenment demand detachment from any concept of egotistical posturing. It's unthinkable that Tsongkhapa would consider such a thing."

Dr. Fullreich was nonetheless resolute. "The first thing anybody, much less a Buddhist monk, should realize is that life is hard, and things aren't always what you expect," he said.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Epimetheus

:thumb: I wouldn't be surprised. Some of the Buddhists were some of the most humorous wise men in history - that is, they were humorous in their wisdom (or vice versa). Sometimes they also said inherently contradictory things that nonetheless were profoundly true, or were intended to make the audience think (for themselves, schmucks).
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Corvidia

Awesome.  :D Dr. Broem needs to learn that 'grow a pair' doesn't always have to mean aggression. I would argue that it can mean face life for what it is, rather than just what it should be.

Anyway, I'm liking this Tsongkhapa guy.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Telarus on June 08, 2009, 12:29:06 AM
"Dgelugspa does not condone the self centered aggression in phrases like 'sack up,' whatever that may mean to any generation," she said. "Peace and selfless enlightenment demand detachment from any concept of egotistical posturing. It's unthinkable that Tsongkhapa would consider such a thing."

Someone hit Gennifer with a stick, plz?

The Good Reverend Roger

Sounds like Buddhism was a fun religion, before the hippies fucked it up for everyone.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Epimetheus

Buddhism was/is awesome at some point (especially Zen Buddhism), but are we really going to start talking about Really Real Buddhists now?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 08, 2009, 05:47:43 AM
Buddhism was/is awesome at some point (especially Zen Buddhism), but are we really going to start talking about Really Real Buddhists now?

I dunno, did you see some Buddhists saying "UR DOIN IT RONG"?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Epimetheus

Quote from: Nigel on June 08, 2009, 07:14:59 AM

Yeah, that Broem lady in the article.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 08, 2009, 07:16:59 AM
Quote from: Nigel on June 08, 2009, 07:14:59 AM

Yeah, that Broem lady in the article.

There you go, then.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

What I want to know is why they couldn't glean that from the literal translation, "Tense the man within."

I mean, I realize I'm a victim of confirmation bias here, but what on earth does that sound like to you? Seriously.

Triple Zero

Um guys, it's an awesome piece and I'm spreading it all over twitter, but I do kind of have the feeling it's a fake.. Check out the rest of the articles on that site, they're really well-done, nearly believable but completely outrageous articles. They also have a madlib generator http://www.muckflash.com/?page_id=108

Still, great stuff :lol:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I think you're right, Trip. Google search for "Tsongkhapa Fullreich" only turned up that specific article.

Damn, that almost makes it even funnier!
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.