News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

I had an idea for a book too

Started by ekimdrachir, June 16, 2009, 09:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekimdrachir

except its not quite as deep. basically, this guy dies. he faints and hits the floor and dies, but then someone brings him back. what he discovers though, is that in the process of mouth to mouth, he gets infected with aids. and so the near death experience, combined with now having aids, makes him resent everything. he becomes extremely bitter and cynical, since he can no longer enjoy the things in life he enjoyed most, and to him, it was sex.

eventually what happens, is that he decides to take out his fury on people who deserve it most. this story could also be told from a female point of view, but effectively what i brainstormed was that they go out and give aids to everyone who deserves to die.

what do you think? does it have potential? should i even bother going any further, or has it been done?

what sort of philosophical arguments do you think this theme expresses?

Elder Iptuous

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ekimdrachir

Yeah im know its not that mind blowing for the likes of us, but compared to alot of the garbage that makes it to the top sales lists, i think it could have potential. maybe i should just write something completely random, and that would get more attention than anything i try to write thats grammatically correct.

hooplala

I'm fairly certain you can't get AIDS from mouth to mouth.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I would suggest doing a bunch of research on, say, biology, and then refining your outline to fit in with reality.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Triple Zero

Quote from: Hoopla on June 16, 2009, 10:27:11 PM
I'm fairly certain you can't get AIDS from mouth to mouth.

a girl once told me she had to use a condom with her bf for 3 (or 6?) months cause she gave some passed out alcoholic bum mouth to mouth, and it wasnt certain whether he had AIDS (or HIV) or not.

the girl has been full of shit on a number of other occasions, so yeah.

anyway, I suppose that if the "rescuer" has wounds in his mouth, it could be transferred?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

hooplala

If the wounds were bleeding and the person receiving the mouth to mouth also had bleeding wounds, sure. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on June 16, 2009, 11:58:15 PM
If the wounds were bleeding and the person receiving the mouth to mouth also had bleeding wounds, sure. 

:fap:

ekimdrachir

Thats what I was getting at. It wasn't supposed to be something that happened on purpose.

I don't need to research biology to make it fit with "reality". Its a freaking story.
Plus, what are people on a Discordia website doing telling me about realism?

Think about it-- you die, but come back, but you come back with something horrid, be it AIDS or even H1N1. How miserable would the rest of your life be? The only way such a bitter person could "get back" at life, is to inflict pain on others. Spreading the disease. Im sure its happened somewhere at least once. But i've never heard a story about it, and it popped into my head the other day. Lets cast Edward Norton as the main character, and Johnny Depp as his cracked out friend who is the only one knows the truth. Hell, Ed could smash Johnny's face apart in order to keep his secret safe. What a horrible thing to add to his misery, but people seem to be self destructive when they're on the brink of insanity.

Epimetheus

Quote from: ekimdrachir on June 17, 2009, 05:40:54 AM
I don't need to research biology to make it fit with "reality". Its a freaking story.

considering it's the plot twist and turning point that serves as the cause for everything in the story, yeah, it kind of matters. AIDS is a real disease and i assume this is based in a contemporary real setting, so making it realistic DOES kind of matter. "Its a freaking story" is not a fucking excuse, idiot.

:crankey: don't go there, don't go there, don't go there.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 17, 2009, 07:25:19 AM

I suggest we ignore the 50 post rule just this once.  Who's with me?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Triple Zero

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 17, 2009, 07:25:19 AM

considering it's the plot twist and turning point that serves as the cause for everything in the story, yeah, it kind of matters. AIDS is a real disease and i assume this is based in a contemporary real setting, so making it realistic DOES kind of matter. "Its a freaking story" is not a fucking excuse, idiot.

Realism: don't go there, don't go there, don't go there.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Thats what I was getting at. It wasn't supposed to be something that happened on purpose.

Think about it-- you die, but come back, but you come back with something horrid, be it AIDS or even H1N1. How miserable would the rest of your life be? The only way such a bitter person could "get back" at life, is to inflict pain on others. Spreading the disease. Im sure its happened somewhere at least once. But i've never heard a story about it, and it popped into my head the other day. Lets cast Edward Norton as the main character, and Johnny Depp as his cracked out friend who is the only one knows the truth. Hell, Ed could smash Johnny's face apart in order to keep his secret safe. What a horrible thing to add to his misery, but people seem to be self destructive when they're on the brink of insanity.

Its called willing suspense of disbelief.

If you add something to a story which makes no sense in context, as this would to most scientifically literate people, then reading it is going to be a jarring and difficult experience.

And yes, people have spread the disease before, for whatever reason.  There are recorded cases of it in the UK, South Africa and USA I believe, though in some cases that was a denial of their condition, that they refused to believe the tests.

I think it needs work.  Your character cannot come back instantly as a jerk.  He needs to be broken, worn down, made into the complete monster he is going to become.  And you have to consider how you want to portray that.  Is the reader meant to pity his final breakdown?  Or are we meant to be glad when someone puts him out of his misery, as they will almost certainly have to do if you take the more monstrous route.