News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Is it just me or is distaste for Libertarianism contradictory to discordianism?

Started by navkat, July 01, 2009, 02:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

navkat

Faust

Quote from: navkat on November 07, 2011, 12:10:50 PM
Wait. What did I just consent to here?

You just handed your decision making process over to the highly skilled, don't worry though, I'm an expert.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on November 07, 2011, 10:08:47 AM
Can we agree that none of us wants to be told what to do by others of us who don't know what the fuck they're doing?

Welcome to all of human history.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I'd just like to remind everyone at this juncture that Larry Summers is considered a really smart economist and that Paul Wolfowitz is considered an expert in foreign affairs.

As I'm sure we can see, their influence on the practice of these two disciplines over the last couple of decades has been highly positive for mankind as a whole.

navkat

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on July 01, 2009, 07:06:11 PM
Quote from: Nigel on July 01, 2009, 07:00:11 PM
Quote from: Requia on July 01, 2009, 06:54:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 04:05:30 PM
2) Adam, when someone is diagnosed with cancer due to smoking, it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to treat.  The individual smoker doesn't pay that entire cost.  The rest of the public does.

Yes but it also costs hundreds of thousands if you die from something not related to smoking too.  Pretty much everyone will rack up a massive hospital bill towards the end.

While it's true that the overall cost of healthcare is about the same (possibly a little more for nonsmokers because they incur more costs over the span of their longer life) nonsmokers live longer and are productive for more years, paying more into the healthcare system over their life spans.

The argument about health costs for smoking is stupid, particularly now in light of the current administration's plans. Either healthcare is something everyone chips in on and helps out with, or people fund their own. You don't get to say "Well, I would like everyone to pay for healthcare together... also, you can't smoke because it will waste my money!"

I mean, hell what happens when some Christian fundie gets into office and decides that premarital sex is unacceptable because it costs too much in STD treatments, abortions, pregnancies etc? Or abortions aren't covered, or the Pill or ...

If universal healthcare is the goal, then it needs to be universal for all citizens, however they desire to spend their time. If thats not acceptable, then don't stick your money in the group kitty.

And this has been today's episode of Eerily Unintentional Irony.

hirley0

in OR they have A so called LAw
about doctor assisted Suicide | {aka death with dignigthy ?
-
in practice its not like this in my opinion | Just no help.
= =
what is needed is AfordABLE  death ! dieing is not the problem
bieng able to aford it is? { oh no  afford { oh ok
being able to afford it is THE PROBLEM STUPID!-!
: : :
MsRa IS NOT the answer? it siimply takes to long {IM/=/O)

Cain

Is it just me, or is a taste for bumping this thread contradictory to common sense?

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 07, 2011, 02:21:30 PM
Can we agree that none of us wants to be told what to do by others of us who don't know what the fuck they're doing?

Those who know what they are doing are exactly the ones to avoid.
They tend to have 'good intentions'  :shudder:  :argh!:
Clueless fucks are easier to manipulate into doing what you want.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

navkat

Quote from: :regret: on May 04, 2012, 10:12:24 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 07, 2011, 02:21:30 PM

Those who know what they are doing are exactly the ones to avoid.
They tend to have 'good intentions'  :shudder:  :argh!:
Clueless fucks are easier to manipulate into doing what you want.

I think Cain is right about this thread. Bumping this was one of my many poor decisions.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on July 01, 2009, 02:01:59 PM
It seems like "Libertarian" has become a dirty word lately. I'm not trying to sound alarmist with my tin-foil haberdashery but the current wave of extreme Progressivism feels oppressive and a little bit fascist to me.

Current wave of extreme progressivism?

It's 4 years later, and I still haven't seen that extreme progressivism.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

navkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 07:51:31 PM
Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on July 01, 2009, 02:01:59 PM
It seems like "Libertarian" has become a dirty word lately. I'm not trying to sound alarmist with my tin-foil haberdashery but the current wave of extreme Progressivism feels oppressive and a little bit fascist to me.

Current wave of extreme progressivism?

It's 4 years later, and I still haven't seen that extreme progressivism.

Well...no, I haven't seen any changes either.

Things change. My opinions change. There is such a thing as extreme progressivism and I remember when I wrote this, I'd had about ENOUGH of self-important, white liberals telling me I was stupid and saying stupid shit about government needing to outlaw THIS and tax THAT because I'm too stupid to be trusted to make my own decisions.

Bloomberg just tried this with soda in NY, as an example of what I'm talking about.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on April 08, 2013, 07:58:25 PM
Things change. My opinions change. There is such a thing as extreme progressivism

Any dumbass can be extreme about ANYTHING.  That's what makes them dumbasses.

But there was never a "wave" of it.  A ripple, perhaps, buried under 2 wars, indefinite detention without trial, torture, drones, TARP, a 13th aircraft carrier, and the wholesale raping of the working class.