News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Is it just me or is distaste for Libertarianism contradictory to discordianism?

Started by navkat, July 01, 2009, 02:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Some of you have never in your life sat in a boardroom and it shows.  The ONLY thing that regulates corporations is fines and the threat of prison.  The consumer isn't even on the radar.

:lol:  Still laughing about that.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Unions can exert force on contract negotiations, which may have enough leverage wrt working conditions, but unions are pretty much unconcerned if the consumer is getting fucked/poisoned, if the benefit packages are large enough.

Cain

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on February 25, 2019, 06:27:43 PM
How do consumers work against cartels?

By screaming on youtube while burning boxes of merch they bought.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 25, 2019, 05:33:31 PM
Some of you have never in your life sat in a boardroom and it shows.  The ONLY thing that regulates corporations is fines and the threat of prison.  The consumer isn't even on the radar.

Every fucking time some libertarian shits out some markets/consumers will force companies to self-regulate I think back to all the medicines with cocaine and then all the radium/uranium infused products that came later. Or that we have to have regulations on the allowable percentage of rat feces in hotdogs.

LMNO

Quote from: Don Coyote on February 25, 2019, 07:05:35 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 25, 2019, 06:27:43 PM
How do consumers work against cartels?

By screaming on youtube while burning boxes of merch they bought.

Every fucking time some libertarian shits out some markets/consumers will force companies to self-regulate I think back to all the medicines with cocaine and then all the radium/uranium infused products that came later. Or that we have to have regulations on the allowable percentage of rat feces in hotdogs.

Surely, the unions will control for that!

:asshat:

Faust

For a history of corporate responsibility in society, I like to point at energy supply provider Enron. What they did was deliberately caused blackouts and at least partially contributing to the environment that caused the LA riots, who'd have thought when the lights go out, angry disenfranchised people riot.
They did so because some of them at least believed they were operating within the letter of the law, only just. They were just constricting supply when demand was high to trigger a more lucrative emergency measure energy payment.
People died in the riots. People died in their homes through accidents. And not just so a company could make money (they were already making a killing), but so they could make MORE money.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on February 25, 2019, 07:53:37 PM

For a history of corporate responsibility in society, I like to point at energy supply provider Enron. What they did was deliberately caused blackouts and at least partially contributing to the environment that caused the LA riots, who'd have thought when the lights go out, angry disenfranchised people riot.
They did so because some of them at least believed they were operating within the letter of the law, only just. They were just constricting supply when demand was high to trigger a more lucrative emergency measure energy payment.
People died in the riots. People died in their homes through accidents. And not just so a company could make money (they were already making a killing), but so they could make MORE money.

Fortunately, they were stopped by consumer watchdog groups.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

How many car companies would voluntarily make a car that cost a few hundred dollars extra, just to reduce the pollution it put out?
How many consumers would voluntarily buy such a car, over a cheaper alternative?  How many would avoid the unimproved models?
Especially if the incremental reduction in pollution wasn't going to affect their health.  It's just one car's worth, after all.

There are some things that are better done via government regulations.

Now, how many car companies would intentionally bypass emissions regulations by designing a car that normally exceeded the maximum nitrogen oxide standard by a lot, but switched into "low-pollution mode" (with a significant loss of fuel economy and horsepower) whenever it thought it was being formally tested?  (Hint:  rhymes with 'Volkswagen').

I cannot conceive of a libertarian solution to the tragedy of the commons.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

LMNO

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on February 26, 2019, 01:12:12 AM

The Libertarian solution is, "remove the commons".

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 26, 2019, 04:43:38 PM

HAW HAW.

It's actually "Take the commons the taxpayers paid for and just flat up *give* it to corporations of your choice."
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 26, 2019, 04:48:15 PM
Quote from: LMNO on February 26, 2019, 04:43:38 PM

HAW HAW.

It's actually "Take the commons the taxpayers paid for and just flat up *give* it to corporations of your choice."

"Please Corporation-sempai. Take my everything. Just be gentle"

Cramulus

Cain

Information asymmetry is another key issue, which is what I was getting at with the cartels point.

If you don't know there's price fixing going on, and there's no regulatory body investigating for these things, how do you know you're getting ripped off?

LMNO

Pergamos

I feel like you all have a story in your head and you are ignoring what I am saying and fitting it into that story instead.  I am not, for a second, saying that corporations aren't that bad, or that they don't need to be watched.  I am saying that government is also awful, and is run by people like Trump who use it to HELP the corporations be worse, rather than preventing their awfulness.  Exactly how to keep them in line, from the consumer point of view, I still don't know, but government hasn't done it, and has kept Unions from keeping them in line from the employee point of view. 

YOu keep coming back with how awful and selfish corporations are, and how they act as badly as they can get away with.  This is absolutely true and I am not disputing it for a second, this is why we need groups that are more accountable than government to keep them in line.  More accountable to consumers, and less able to be bought up by corporations with a big fat budget devoted to exactly that.