Is it just me or is distaste for Libertarianism contradictory to discordianism?

Started by navkat, July 01, 2009, 02:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on July 15, 2009, 06:53:54 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on July 15, 2009, 06:34:11 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 15, 2009, 06:32:50 PM
"Infantry" is code for "too stupid to do anything but die", sadly.

How sweeping of you, Nigel....
:roll:
can you explain how something being a code for something else means that the code is true?

because I'm having a hard time making your accusation work unless a code has to be correct.

If you're quoting me because you think i'm agreeing with Nigel's assertion, then you misunderstand me.  her generalization is demeaning to several that i know who are good, reasonably intelligent people, even if i feel they are misguided... (not that i really hold it against her, though)

also, you misread rubikspoop's comment...

Fuquad

Quote from: Iptuous on July 15, 2009, 07:00:51 PM
Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on July 15, 2009, 06:53:54 PM

can you explain how something being a code for something else means that the code is true?

because I'm having a hard time making your accusation work unless a code has to be correct.

If you're quoting me because you think i'm agreeing with Nigel's assertion, then you misunderstand me.  her generalization is demeaning to several that i know who are good, reasonably intelligent people, even if i feel they are misguided... (not that i really hold it against her, though)

also, you misread rubikspoop's comment...
Nope. I was asking because you called it a sweeping generalization. And you have no idea if i misread rubikspoop's comment. Hell you couldn't even understand that I was saying that you were ACCUSING someone and not agreeing with them. There's no reason for me to use the word accusing if you agreed with her.

The comment isn't about the infantry but the view of the infantry the brass have.

it has nothing to do with whether or not the brass' estimation is true or not.

let me know if there's anything else I can explain for you.
THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on July 15, 2009, 07:12:13 PMNope. I was asking because you called it a sweeping generalization. And you have no idea if i misread rubikspoop's comment. Hell you couldn't even understand that I was saying that you were ACCUSING someone and not agreeing with them. There's no reason for me to use the word accusing if you agreed with her.

The comment isn't about the infantry but the view of the infantry the brass have.

Ah... i see.  you're probably right about her generalization... i think i did misinterpret it.  and the word accusation is what led me to believe that you might have meant to quote her, instead....
I was obviously confused...

so i probably misunderstood your comment to rubikspoop, too...
what did you mean by this?
Quote60 people from ONE recruit station that ALL play the French Horn?
Somehow I don't believe it.
because he didn't seem to indicate that....

Fuquad

Quote from: Iptuous on July 15, 2009, 07:21:51 PM
Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on July 15, 2009, 07:12:13 PMNope. I was asking because you called it a sweeping generalization. And you have no idea if i misread rubikspoop's comment. Hell you couldn't even understand that I was saying that you were ACCUSING someone and not agreeing with them. There's no reason for me to use the word accusing if you agreed with her.

Ah... i see.  you're probably right about her generalization... i think i did misinterpret it.  and the word accusation is what led me to believe that you might have meant to quote her, instead....
I was obviously confused...

so i probably misunderstood your comment to rubikspoop, too...
what did you mean by this?
Quote60 people from ONE recruit station that ALL play the French Horn?
Somehow I don't believe it.
because he didn't seem to indicate that....
I meant that not all 60 people were having the same experience that he was. Which is kind of beside the point as they have about as much clue about what could happen as he does.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on July 15, 2009, 07:31:07 PM
I meant that not all 60 people were having the same experience that he was. Which is kind of beside the point as they have about as much clue about what could happen as he does.
ayah....
it seems his point was simply that there were 2/3 of the people there signed up to be infantry in support of his statement that.....
aw nevermind....
:|

i wasn't even following this thread for the past 6 pages.
i'm like a child who walk in on middle of a movie and...
:oops:

Requia ☣

Infantry is actually one of the harder positions to get, at least in the army.  I'm not sure how the marines staffing breaks down.  Actually getting the position you signed up expecting is near impossible regardless though, more likely you'll end up as a grunt in logistics carrying heavy boxes, or if your test scores come in high, stuck behind a desk counting said heavy boxes.

Neither of those are exactly safe jobs either, Iraq needs a lot of boxes, and the attacks are pretty indiscriminate.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: I take it you were infantry?

Sorry, man, but they're called cannon-fodder for a reason. Anyone with the skills to avoid being an infantryman, does. I mean, I'm basing this strictly on what my father, sister, and brothers have to say about it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

shit, no.
i wouldn't go into the US military unless things were vastly different.  And if i did, i would go into the AF to be an officer, like both my grandfathers and my father. bomb the shit out of the subhuman enemy... that's what we pay the big bucks for.  not to muck about in the dirt.
my rolleyes was based on a couple friends and some friend's siblings that i know.
they may be suckers (in my estimation), but they certainly aren't unintelligent, or badwrong for doing it....

so, your statement was your own view, and not a sarcastic impression of what the 'top brass' might think, as that screeching nogood pesky guy indicated?

Fuquad

Seems like I was wrong.

I feel like the guy that was watching the movie, got the subtext all wrong and some guy that wasn't in the theatre for most of the damn thing understood it better than I.

:oops:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rubickspoop on July 14, 2009, 11:17:04 PM
ok assholes, I know I might die, i know there's a decent chance I'll end up in the desert, but I'll probably just play my french horn in one of the many bases stateside or in japan. they have so many people that CHOOSE to be infantry i don't really have to worry.

Yeah.  I did, for example.  But when I enlisted, it was peacetime.  That changed, but fortunately, Bush's old man was in charge, and knew how to run a trade show war.

Now there's a huge abortion on, and you just jammed your dick in the meatgrinder.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rubickspoop on July 15, 2009, 10:52:15 AM
Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on July 15, 2009, 04:59:20 AM
Military recruiters are notoriously honest people.

No, really.

This isn't from my recruiter, this is anecdotal evidence gathered from the 60 other people at my recruit station waiting to ship out. At least 2/3 are signed up to be infantry, and are proud of it.

What does your CONTRACT say?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 15, 2009, 10:34:29 PM

:lulz: I take it you were infantry?

Sorry, man, but they're called cannon-fodder for a reason. Anyone with the skills to avoid being an infantryman, does. I mean, I'm basing this strictly on what my father, sister, and brothers have to say about it.

What branches were they in?

Cain

As an aside (but on topic) I was reading John Gray's Black Mass again while at the train station, which was most of the day.  He manages to make a case for libertarianism/neo-liberalism, Marxism and Fascism being all part of the same doomed Western project - that of secularizing millenial, utopian and apocalyptic religious values and attempting to remake society through force.

And then takes a sledghammer to all of those theories, just to show how stupid they are.  Its even more interesting when you realize Gray was one of the public intellectuals behind Thatcher in the day, and involved in the early days of New Labour, before he abandoned the New Right for...well, the reasons given in this book.

I'll post some extracts later today, since I have to actually write them up from the book, not copy and paste from an online version of it.