News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

DISCORDIA 2109

Started by Template, July 14, 2009, 03:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Template

or 2074 or some YOLD 3340~3375.

I was thinking of what discordia will look like in a lifetime or more.  I'd like discussion, or links to essays.  New threads in OKM, in response to this topic, I'd love to see.

Let's play futurist, assuming the Interesting Times become Very Interesting Times Indeed, or remain Unremarkable Times, or even Whatever Kind of Times You've Got.

Triple Zero

if we do it right, we will get all the blame for everything.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 14, 2009, 08:51:04 PM
if we do it right, we will get all the blame for everything.

Nice.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If we do it right, we will be a terrifying legend of What Went Wrong that forsaken settlers on other planets tell their children around  the encampment fire.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: yhnmzw on July 14, 2009, 03:59:41 AM

I was thinking of what discordia will look like in a lifetime or more.  I'd like discussion, or links to essays.  New threads in OKM, in response to this topic, I'd love to see.

Let's play futurist, assuming the Interesting Times become Very Interesting Times Indeed, or remain Unremarkable Times, or even Whatever Kind of Times You've Got.

Cramulus

I was thinking of what discordia will look like in a lifetime or more. 

Can you answer this question --

what's it look like now?

Template

Quote from: Cramulus on July 15, 2009, 03:28:54 PM

I was thinking of what discordia will look like in a lifetime or more. 

Can you answer this question --

what's it look like now?

That would be another appropriate question.  I'd thought that perhaps the story should extend back to 1959-25=1934 and ahead to 2009+25=2034, since whatever shit's hitting the fan should be everywhere by then.

But yes, I would like a solid answer to that question, too.  Futurismo is just more fun.

Cramulus

what I'm saying is,

I'm challenged to describe what the Discordian society looks like now, so it's hard to project what it will looks like later.

How would you describe it?

by the books about it?
the online communities?
the physical communities?
the creative output?
the subtle influence on culture / subversive culture?

we're so vague as-is it's hard to pigeonhole us.

AFK

Well, I'm not sure Discordianism will ever gain any more appreciable prominence between now and any point in the future.  I think it would take some celebrity pulling a Tom Cruise or a Madonna and adopting Discordianism as the next trendy religion before any light from the mainstream, or any stream, is shined upon it.  I think it will continue to bubble in the underground as it pretty much has since its inception.  The mediums through which material is transmitted may look very different decades from now, but I think the social mechanisms for transmitting the material will be very similar. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Richter

As far as Discordian society from an internet point of view, I am almost certain any later day scholarly analysis that MAY happen will have a hard time proving that we took it with as little seriousness as we do.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cainad (dec.)

Discordia in 2109 will be a retro-chic gimmick at nerdy conventions that will be done well by about 12 people, and very poorly imitated by 12,000 others, making it look bad. No one will really remember what went on here.

Cramulus

Within 100 years, I hope our culture will have transcended the season of Bureaucracy and crashed into Aftermath.

Things will get worse - then they will get better.

If so, there may be no need for Discord anymore; we'll be living in a fun, "balanced" society.

Requia ☣

2109 will be about the time some spag writes up a bunch of legends about the founding of discordia, completely missing the point.  The writings will be immensley popular and very pineal.  By 2309 the new Pinealists will have grown in numbers until the new mockery of discordia becomes the state religion, non pinealists will be put to the sword and anybody who actually tries thinking for themselves will be outcasts.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

fomenter

the world will be very much like the world of transmetropolitan, the discordians will be a well recognised religious cult "one of many" its most notable feature will be its gibbering pinalists and its masturbation addicted chaos magicians, unknown to all but a select few true discordians, a secret order of tricksters who by the careful application of irl and internet "Machiavellian" trolling will have infiltrated all of the other religions social groups and political parties and will use the positions of influence they have achieved to randomly crash the various groups into conflict and or cooperation with each other for their personal amusement and because they think its funny   

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Kai

Quote from: fomenter on July 15, 2009, 08:39:21 PM
the world will be very much like the world of transmetropolitan, the discordians will be a well recognised religious cult "one of many" its most notable feature will be its gibbering pinalists and its masturbation addicted chaos magicians, unknown to all but a select few true discordians, a secret order of tricksters who by the careful application of irl and internet "Machiavellian" trolling will have infiltrated all of the other religions social groups and political parties and will use the positions of influence they have achieved to randomly crash the various groups into conflict and or cooperation with each other for their personal amusement and because they think its funny   

Holy shit, did you just write the plot for a novel deconstructing Discordianism?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish